• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big Buck Missed

Joe_Bow

I had abstained from this private property I have access to, and I went this AM with a nice cold front coming through.
I'm in the saddle early, but it was frustrating going - too much noise, stuff dropping by accident. I get settled and enjoy the sunrise until about 6:45. I look to the front weak side shot area and a large 8pt buck is coming my way. I've never seen a buck this big on the property.
It continues up my weak side, and I move to get my bow. He stops and slowly turns away, walking into a thick patch of brush, looking for does apparently. He comes out of the brush, and is eventually parallel to my right, behind a few trees. I flip around and pull my bow back. He walks a little more, his head is hidden behind a tree but I can see his front shoulder and entire body.
He is a bit alert but he can't see me, so I let the arrow fly. I had held at center of lungs and he jumped the string - thankfully a clean miss. He trots a few yards, flicks his tail, and calmly browses out of range; out of my life.

In the next :30min a smaller, tigher 9pt walks to me; at the same time the landowner walks her dog by us at 40 yards. The 9pt just looks at them pass. Eventually it beds down for 20min, gets up and chases some does off. I didn't shoot it because I was scared the land owner's dog wouldn't let it die in peace.

I've had 4 opportunities at 4 different bucks this year, and none of them have come together. This year is frustrating: 1) I've been winded 2) No shot due to steep quartering towards angle 3) jumped the string 4) landowner interference.

Such experiences are tough but the failure has been data rich. Good news is there is a lot of hunting left in NY. Still time for things to come together

Last edited:
Question for the veteran hunters: when would you go back in?
There is a ton of activity in the area right now and a rain storm passed through tonight.

Would you go back immediately?
There is a stiff cold front coming through soon, would you wait for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 9pt was chasing a couple of does. The whole property is thin and a transition from woods to a neighbors field at the bottom of a cliff.

I’ll go in and see what’s up tomorrow. If nothing, I’ll hit it on the cold front

Went in this AM, 30min before first light. One of the bucks was bedding 30yrds from my stand. He got up and walked off.

Going to let the stand alone until Thursday AM

Too many try to get to a morning stand before they can see and bump deer. Unless you can be super duper quiet....wait until first light and creep in. Like still hunting slow. Ground conditions dictate how fast you can move. Small areas have to be approached quietly and with caution. You just can’t walk in 1/2 hour before light and climb up. Take some time to listen to the woods. You probably could have killed that deer from the ground if you took your time.

Too many try to get to a morning stand before they can see and bump deer. Unless you can be super duper quiet....wait until first light and creep in. Like still hunting slow. Ground conditions dictate how fast you can move. Small areas have to be approached quietly and with caution. You just can’t walk in 1/2 hour before light and climb up. Take some time to listen to the woods. You probably could have killed that deer from the ground if you took your time.

100% true. I walked in during early light yesterday and unfortunately the landowner used their leaf blower to blow a path through the woods...right behind my setup. I still have pictures of one of the bucks - I know he visits the property. But I totally concur, especially for this small property which is largely transition for the deer, if I went in with a little light, I could have killed that buck.

Thanks for the tip.
Lots of learning experiences this year.

Last edited:
Back