• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big Jim Quiver?

MathewsShooter7

Looking for any feedback on a good strap on recurve quiver. I know Selway's are very popular and look pretty good. I am also looking at a Big Jim quiver and there is not much feedback out there on them i can find. Anybody on here use one, like it/ not like it?

Looking for any feedback on a good strap on recurve quiver. I know Selway's are very popular and look pretty good. I am also looking at a Big Jim quiver and there is not much feedback out there on them i can find. Anybody on here use one, like it/ not like it?

I currently use Big Jims quivers, I love them, holds arrows very tightly and the strap-on is the bonus as it helps with dampening vibrations, I can also switch between bows, or just take it off easily. I highly recommend checking Big Jims Bow Shop out, for all your trad needs. I live about 1.5 hr. away and I do not have his mountain monarch (YET), but he has helped me with my complete setup - Good dude! I bought my rawhide leather 4 arrow quiver about a year ago, and it was like $60 I think, Good quality too!

I currently use Big Jims quivers, I love them, holds arrows very tightly and the strap-on is the bonus as it helps with dampening vibrations, I can also switch between bows, or just take it off easily. I highly recommend checking Big Jims Bow Shop out, for all your trad needs. I live about 1.5 hr. away and I do not have his mountain monarch (YET), but he has helped me with my complete setup - Good dude! I bought my rawhide leather 4 arrow quiver about a year ago, and it was like $60 I think, Good quality too!
Yea his prices are very reasonable and the quality looks to be there. His bows look pretty sweet too...I have been thinking about starting the process of getting a custom made . Thanks for the feedback!

And let me justify my response a little. Big Jim is a phenomenal guy. I have owned several of his bows over the years. He and I have had numerous phone conversations over the years. He is a valuable asset to the traditional archery community. The quivers of his that I tried was the 2013-2014 model. It was too flimsy for my likings. I loved concept, but i do feel that when I swapped to the selway quivers, they were better. Now, if Jim has changed his design since, it'll likely be just as good as what i'm currently using. But, at that time, I liked the other more.

Big Jim's mountain monarch recurve is what I am looking into ordering soon! But his longbow the Thunder Child is a sweet shooting bow! I got to shoot one and the thunder child is making me think of switching to a longbow, however either one of Jim's is going to be top notch!

And let me justify my response a little. Big Jim is a phenomenal guy. I have owned several of his bows over the years. He and I have had numerous phone conversations over the years. He is a valuable asset to the traditional archery community. The quivers of his that I tried was the 2013-2014 model. It was too flimsy for my likings. I loved concept, but i do feel that when I swapped to the selway quivers, they were better. Now, if Jim has changed his design since, it'll likely be just as good as what i'm currently using. But, at that time, I liked the other more.

As in Traditional and Saddle world, to each its own, and what works for one will not always work for another! Just as long as you enjoy it, keep on keeping on!

Big Jim's mountain monarch recurve is what I am looking into ordering soon! But his longbow the Thunder Child is a sweet shooting bow! I got to shoot one and the thunder child is making me think of switching to a longbow, however either one of Jim's is going to be top notch!

I have owned a couple thunderchild's and buffalo's along the way as well. They're definitely top notch!

I have one and like it a lot. His strap system holds it super tight while still protesting the limb finish. He’s also a great guy to deal with

I’ve met Big Jim at a few 3D shoots. Seems like a great guy. My latest quiver is a big Jim quiver. The rubber straps are awesome. Very grippy. The only thing I don’t like and I think it’s more my because of my bow because the limbs are so slim, Toelke Whistler. It puts the arrow shafts very close to my grip and I can barely put my hand around the grip without the arrow shafts hitting my fingers. It’s good to have the quiver close, I just think it is too close because of my limb width. Top quality quiver though.

I have one and like it so far, this will be my first year hunting with trad though so no in field experience. Like once its loaded up with arrows (I carry four) it can be easily detached. I am going to play with attaching it "upside down", if its raining I can keep the feathers on top and simply slide a sandwich bag over the feathers - in theory anyway. I read somewhere some uses it on their compounds (assuming the are not walking and stalking all day).

I’ve met Big Jim at a few 3D shoots. Seems like a great guy. My latest quiver is a big Jim quiver. The rubber straps are awesome. Very grippy. The only thing I don’t like and I think it’s more my because of my bow because the limbs are so slim, Toelke Whistler. It puts the arrow shafts very close to my grip and I can barely put my hand around the grip without the arrow shafts hitting my fingers. It’s good to have the quiver close, I just think it is too close because of my limb width. Top quality quiver though.
I went and ordered a Deluxe one last evening! I just watched a video where Clay Hayes had the same issue and he said he used some scrap leather pieces in between the strap and the bow to create a little more space there. Just thought i would throw that out if you wanted to try that. Thanks for the feedback!

I have one and like it so far, this will be my first year hunting with trad though so no in field experience. Like once its loaded up with arrows (I carry four) it can be easily detached. I am going to play with attaching it "upside down", if its raining I can keep the feathers on top and simply slide a sandwich bag over the feathers - in theory anyway. I read somewhere some uses it on their compounds (assuming the are not walking and stalking all day).
Good to hear. I think i may want to detach once up a tree. I think i am going to dust my fletchings in the powder they have and call it a day. I don't care to bowhunt in any significant rain if i can help it.

I went and ordered a Deluxe one last evening! I just watched a video where Clay Hayes had the same issue and he said he used some scrap leather pieces in between the strap and the bow to create a little more space there. Just thought i would throw that out if you wanted to try that. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks. I thought about doing that.

Great Company! They did not have the color combination I ordered so i sent him a pic of my Kodiak and basically let them match me something up that looked good. Ended up with a green rawhide and exotic inlay w/ no up charge from the deluxe! Now that's customer service! I will post a pic up when i receive it...its going to look sexy!

24a5ea842a1a25a15b496db6c7f2a6b0.jpg
fed3f700c6e21dd3a2a9cd8cffe5a59e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back