• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Big Man Saddle

SETXsportsman6

Hey guys, I'm new to the world of saddle hunting. Looking to transition from tree stands to saddle hunting. I believe it will make me feel safer and more secure than I do in a treestand and I believe with the right set up I could he just as comfortable with a saddle and more flexible than with a tree stand. With that being said, are there any guys out there doing it on here at around 6'4 330? Safety is my main concern, with comfort/mobility being second. Tethrd assured me that their saddle would fit me and have no issues safely supporting me and they have many hunters my size that are comfortable wearing their saddle. Id just like to hear from someone who does it that is around my size before I sink $600 on something that is going to kill me cause I'm too fat or sit in a closet because it doesn't work for me.

Thanks everybody

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m 5’11” 280 , Ive used a Trophyline saddle for the hast 20 yrs , never felt more secure , really over built ! I see some of these guys modifying everything and it scares the hell out of me !

Me too. I definitely don't consider modifications on anything that might cause a structural integrity issue. I'm too big for all that.

I'm 6'4" and pushing 280-290# with gear and a 46" waist. Started with a tethrd and have been very happy with it. The challenge is getting the saddle belt below your normal belt line. I was IM'ing with customer support about that during a hunt and I moved where the belt was in the afternoon and it made all the difference.

I've been climbing trees my whole life but the last 4 weeks of saddle hunting has taught me to use/trust my lineman belt. I push back off the tree and it's easier to climb versus keeping my weight close to the tree. Learning little by little but have my first buck from a saddle last week and I'm all about saddle hunting now.

Good luck

That's awesome man. I'm hoping I have the same experience. I'm excited about it. I don't believe it will be this season when I get started doing it, but by late summer I'll be shooting hogs out of one hopefully. I hope i take to it well. I think it could be a game changer.

it's different thank being in a stand so ask questions because the first day I was wondering why people thought it was so comfortable. After talking with customer support I found the secret. Now I'm playing with the climbing method to see how light I can make it.

it's different thank being in a stand so ask questions because the first day I was wondering why people thought it was so comfortable. After talking with customer support I found the secret. Now I'm playing with the climbing method to see how light I can make it.
Just ordered a XL mantis, ropes, predator, etc. I guess we will see soon enough how I like it!

Hey guys, I'm new to the world of saddle hunting. Looking to transition from tree stands to saddle hunting. I believe it will make me feel safer and more secure than I do in a treestand and I believe with the right set up I could he just as comfortable with a saddle and more flexible than with a tree stand. With that being said, are there any guys out there doing it on here at around 6'4 330? Safety is my main concern, with comfort/mobility being second. Tethrd assured me that their saddle would fit me and have no issues safely supporting me and they have many hunters my size that are comfortable wearing their saddle. Id just like to hear from someone who does it that is around my size before I sink $600 on something that is going to kill me cause I'm too fat or sit in a closet because it doesn't work for me.

Thanks everybody

6 foot, 300 pounds here. I'm a hefty man to say the least. I definitely feel safe in the tethrd mantis. I start getting uncomfortable enough to get down around the 4 hour mark. I tend to switch back and fourth between pressure points. I am a bit worried to hunt out of it when all the leaves are gone because I think I move too much and think deer will pick me off, especially ones I don't see coming or ones I'm not paying attention to. I have since purchased a JX3 and started using it. I like it a lot more and feel I'll be a lot more comfortable. I'm going to pull my tethrd predator down this weekend for pictures and it and my XL set up is going up for sale. I like the system (especially the predator platform) but to me the jx3 is just better.

6 foot, 300 pounds here. I'm a hefty man to say the least. I definitely feel safe in the tethrd mantis. I start getting uncomfortable enough to get down around the 4 hour mark. I tend to switch back and fourth between pressure points. I am a bit worried to hunt out of it when all the leaves are gone because I think I move too much and think deer will pick me off, especially ones I don't see coming or ones I'm not paying attention to. I have since purchased a JX3 and started using it. I like it a lot more and feel I'll be a lot more comfortable. I'm going to pull my tethrd predator down this weekend for pictures and it and my XL set up is going up for sale. I like the system (especially the predator platform) but to me the jx3 is just better.
I'll keep that in mind. Just curious what was the uncomfort that you were experiencing? Back? Hip pinch? The leaves falling is a non issue where I'm from. Sout east TX the leaves barely turn brown

I'll keep that in mind. Just curious what was the uncomfort that you were experiencing? Back? Hip pinch? The leaves falling is a non issue where I'm from. Sout east TX the leaves barely turn brown
None of that actually. For me no matter how I positioned my tether my feet would get more and more uncomfortable as time went on. My right leg also hurt but that's from a old leg injury. My back never hurt and was actually pretty darn comfortable with the recliner attachment. Don't get me wrong, the mantis is definitely top tier. If I cared more about weight, bow hunting, and mobility I'd probably keep it.

None of that actually. For me no matter how I positioned my tether my feet would get more and more uncomfortable as time went on. My right leg also hurt but that's from a old leg injury. My back never hurt and was actually pretty darn comfortable with the recliner attachment. Don't get me wrong, the mantis is definitely top tier. If I cared more about weight, bow hunting, and mobility I'd probably keep it.
Well I guess I will just have to see how it goes. Hopefully I can make it work for me. If not I'll just post it and move on to the next lol

Well I guess I will just have to see how it goes. Hopefully I can make it work for me. If not I'll just post it and move on to the next lol
As they say to each their own. One of the good things about saddle hunting is also one of the most annoying things about it. That being adjustability. Tether height, bridge length, do you like your saddle riding high or low, platform or ring of steps, are you a sitter or a leaner, do you prefer knee pads or a pad that straps to a tree. The list goes on and on and there is no way to know what you like until you play with all these different settings. What worked for me might not work for you and vice versa.

As they say to each their own. One of the good things about saddle hunting is also one of the most annoying things about it. That being adjustability. Tether height, bridge length, do you like your saddle riding high or low, platform or ring of steps, are you a sitter or a leaner, do you prefer knee pads or a pad that straps to a tree. The list goes on and on and there is no way to know what you like until you play with all these different settings. What worked for me might not work for you and vice versa.
Youre very right. Speaking of knee pads, I haven't heard anything or anyone mention anything about them. Any recommendations?

Youre very right. Speaking of knee pads, I haven't heard anything or anyone mention anything about them. Any recommendations?

I just bought a 20$ pair off Amazon. If you aren't a sitter, in my opinion you don't need any.

I was just told by Tethrd if you are over 300# you are using at your own risk kind of thing. I’m a big guy and this is something I was concerned with. So I contacted three companies. One the max rate was 300# other was 350# and last one didn’t give me an answer.

So have any of these companies tested the saddle to failure based on the way the saddle is used? I know Tethrd has a video showing a 300# dummy being dropped. I would assume if that happened something went wrong or wasn’t used properly?

I'm 6'4" and pushing 280-290# with gear and a 46" waist. Started with a tethrd and have been very happy with it. The challenge is getting the saddle belt below your normal belt line. I was IM'ing with customer support about that during a hunt and I moved where the belt was in the afternoon and it made all the difference.

I've been climbing trees my whole life but the last 4 weeks of saddle hunting has taught me to use/trust my lineman belt. I push back off the tree and it's easier to climb versus keeping my weight close to the tree. Learning little by little but have my first buck from a saddle last week and I'm all about saddle hunting now.

Good luck
Thanks for the advice about trusting the lineman's belt. My natural inclination is to hug the tree. I'm 6'6" 255 and am making my own DIY with RCH (it's half done) and after I trust the saddle ditch the RCH.

Do you get any back pain while in the saddle? And do you use the upper back support strap?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back