• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

BIG PA BUCK at 29 yards!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, is this your channel? I've never seen it and I see a pic of Kinzua on their YT page. I'm near Warren.

Oh man. I think my feelings are even hurt on that one. What a buck. The amount of time he was standing in the scrape I was trying not to blink so I didn’t miss the shot.

Was there a chance he was coming closer, or was the 30 yard shot basically the shot?

He seemed like he was on pins and needles coming to the scrape. But calmed down once he was doing his thing in the scrape. Surprised he reacted so intensely.

Oh man. I think my feelings are even hurt on that one. What a buck. The amount of time he was standing in the scrape I was trying not to blink so I didn’t miss the shot.

Was there a chance he was coming closer, or was the 30 yard shot basically the shot?

He seemed like he was on pins and needles coming to the scrape. But calmed down once he was doing his thing in the scrape. Surprised he reacted so intensely.
He may have worked down the trail right in front of us but he did seem very cautious approaching that scrape. He also could of hit that scrape then went straight to the field or turned around. It's really hard to say, so decided on taking the shot at 30 yards. If he doesn't duck like he did I believe he's a dead deer. Head was up to which hurts even worse lol usually they drop lower when their head is already down.

Thanks for watching!

He may have worked down the trail right in front of us but he did seem very cautious approaching that scrape. He also could of hit that scrape then went straight to the field or turned around. It's really hard to say, so decided on taking the shot at 30 yards. If he doesn't duck like he did I believe he's a dead deer. Head was up to which hurts even worse lol usually they drop lower when their head is already down.

Thanks for watching!
I made the exact same shot on a PA giant last year. Got a dog and we tracked it for 200 yards and lost blood and the dog never found it after hours of searching. Appears to be a high shot and probably single lung. If that the case, he is still alive and he is still out there.

That is absolutely awesome!
THAT is why a mature whitetail is such a great opponent!

You will probably never get another opportunity in that spot at him? Use every inch of your brain and put it all together and find out another way to get him...

I made the exact same shot on a PA giant last year. Got a dog and we tracked it for 200 yards and lost blood and the dog never found it after hours of searching. Appears to be a high shot and probably single lung. If that the case, he is still alive and he is still out there.
We came to the conclusion I just skimmed his back, we got a picture of him on a neighboring property towards the end of October so he's still out there kicking it!

That is absolutely awesome!
THAT is why a mature whitetail is such a great opponent!

You will probably never get another opportunity in that spot at him? Use every inch of your brain and put it all together and find out another way to get him...
I'm gonna do my best! Thanks for watching

^^^ Isn't it wild when them big bucks catch your scent. Looks like they get zapped by 220 volts!

With the season fast approaching on Saturday, I wanted to get some opinions on shot placement on these "mature" whitetail bucks. I've read into this scenario and watched plenty of videos of people debating whether to aim lower on say mature bucks. I think I've come to the conclusion that if a mature buck does come within range and presents a shot but seems to be acting like he knows something is potentially suspicious, that aiming lower would be the right move. Thoughts?

With the season fast approaching on Saturday, I wanted to get some opinions on shot placement on these "mature" whitetail bucks. I've read into this scenario and watched plenty of videos of people debating whether to aim lower on say mature bucks. I think I've come to the conclusion that if a mature buck does come within range and presents a shot but seems to be acting like he knows something is potentially suspicious, that aiming lower would be the right move. Thoughts?
Google "vital V"

I’ve used a sight system for years that is very simple and relies on the “window” of your overall arrow trajectory. For my hunting bow i don’t bother with sight tapes and actual yardage. I sight in so at point blank range, my broadheads are hitting exactly on or just very slightly low of my point of aim. My point of aim is always the point of the shoulder or the “elbow” of the front leg. I keep backing up and shooting in 5-10 yard increments until my arrows are one again dropping into the lower third all with the same aim on the same place of the deer. I then check that yardage distance out and that’s my point and shoot simple hunting system. Typically my distance is high 20’s to low 30’s depending on arrow weight. So I just hold on that point of the elbow as long is the deer is within that maximum range.

I’ve used a sight system for years that is very simple and relies on the “window” of your overall arrow trajectory. For my hunting bow i don’t bother with sight tapes and actual yardage. I sight in so at point blank range, my broadheads are hitting exactly on or just very slightly low of my point of aim. My point of aim is always the point of the shoulder or the “elbow” of the front leg. I keep backing up and shooting in 5-10 yard increments until my arrows are one again dropping into the lower third all with the same aim on the same place of the deer. I then check that yardage distance out and that’s my point and shoot simple hunting system. Typically my distance is high 20’s to low 30’s depending on arrow weight. So I just hold on that point of the elbow as long is the deer is within that maximum range.

Single pin system.

Single pin set it at 25-28 yards. If you shoot at least 250fps, you’ll hit within 3” of aim point from 2-30ish yards.

Trick pin system

I have a single pin slider. It stays locked for whitetail hunting usually. But for elk hunting I’m dialed to 80. However, when stalking and covering ground, it stays set at 55 yards. If an elk is between 10-40 yards, I just aim at belly line and shoot. If I have a longer shot than that I’m ranging anyway.

Back