• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Black Hills Whitetails

Bowhunter33

Well I moved out to Summerset, SD a few months back and have been trying to get familiar with everything here. Coming from northeast Nebraska it's definitely a change. I'm looking for anyone who has experience hunting the hills and is able to pass down a little knowledge. I've been watching every infalt video I can find about big woods hunting. Went out scouting yesterday what looked on the map to be a great spot along a creek. Hiked around that area for 6 miles or so and haven't seen any sign, not even a track. Is there a good starting point that I'm missing besides water and terrain?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

I still haven't figured out where/why they bed where they do but I look for areas with food (fields, oaks, etc), then find water sources and check the areas in between.

I did a first scout today on some public land I've never been on before. I figured out where they would likely feed and started there. I found a few trails and dropping, mostly small tracks but a few large ones (mommy doe?). I did find one scrape from last year but didn't find any rubs newer than 2+ years old. The trails all pointed towards some hardwood that's nearly impossible to get to by land and will try kayaking to these areas later in the summer.

I did however find 20+ wood and deer ticks on my pants. Everything was hosed down with permethrin and would occasionally stop and watch what they would do. Only a couple died, most would just slowly crawl in weird directions.

THP has a video out in the Black Hills this past year. It was a good video, and showed the attraction of a water source near different terrain features. That's what I'd focus on first.

I've watched that video countless times, its great content! I'm learning fast that it's very steep and thick in the northern hills, makes it hard to access but many places for great bedding. Water sources are going to be on my list for hanging cameras on this month. Hopefully get a pattern nailed down from there.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Back