• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Blacktail Scouting Help

donnieballgame

Curious what the pro's here will think of this little place I have to hunt up in WA. It's a military base so a bunch of extra rules, but nothing crazy. I've marked up on the map locations that some local folks have recommended, you can see the elevation and the water is all salt, we have a spring in the southeast, and an old lake that is marsh. Oh and the waypoints are either trail cameras or sign that I've already found, nothing too exciting like a huge line of rubs or any beds. I'm also new to black tail hunting so if anyone has any pointers there I'd appreciate the help. I'm treating them pretty much like white tails at this point. Oh and there is also an orchard down in the southeast byt that old lake.

I hunt Blacktail down here in Oregon. Would definitely look into the orchard. Is it apples or cherries? Also this will sound crazy but any area that’s near homes or otherwise urban. Biggest bucks I’m seeing down here are closer to homes than not. They seem to like the food sources. Down here water doesn’t seem to be a factor. They’re getting enough from browse. You could check out a guy by the name of Tom Ryle, he’s a WA/OR Blacktail genius. Can’t get the link to copy right but you can find him on pnwbowhunting.com. Good luck!

I hunt Blacktail down here in Oregon. Would definitely look into the orchard. Is it apples or cherries? Also this will sound crazy but any area that’s near homes or otherwise urban. Biggest bucks I’m seeing down here are closer to homes than not. They seem to like the food sources. Down here water doesn’t seem to be a factor. They’re getting enough from browse. You could check out a guy by the name of Tom Ryle, he’s a WA/OR Blacktail genius. Can’t get the link to copy right but you can find him on pnwbowhunting.com. Good luck!

Thanks, the orchard is apples and pears, I had a good chance during the early archery season at a 4x4 but screwed it up, waiting til the late season, this state is so weird about hunting regulations. Thanks for the info, I'll def look up Tom.

Back