• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bolts as a Perm Set Up

dlist777

I purchased a property recently. I was planning on setting up a bunch of pre-sets this offseason. When I've had access to a property where I can do presets in the past, I usually used el-cheapo heavy metal sticks and put them up in July/Aug and take down in Feb/March each year. I take them down in the offseason because I've had strap damage when I leave them up (critters and trees swelling) and I don't want to have a strap break on me. It gives me an opportunity to inspect them. But, it's a big hassle of course.

I was thinking of switching to bolts this year and setting them with a power-drill. Easier to lug out to the field. But, I was thinking of putting them in and just leaving them. Forever. I'm fine if they can't come back out. I own the property. It seems like it'd be safer b/c no risk of strap damage. Less hassle because I wouldn't need to pull them at the end of each year. I know the bolts rust, but they should be plenty fine for a long time. I'll probably add a safety line to each when I set it up to hook up to while climbing.

Any thoughts? Any problems with this plan. Am I over-looking anything?

I think that is a good idea. The only issue will be any potential future timber harvest with bolts in trees of value.

I'd just be careful with possible damage to the bolt over time leaving it in there (to the point that it could damage the integrity of the bolt). I've had this happen with a screw in but not a bolt.
I've seen trees develop a spongy or a rotted area around places of foreign objects drilled or screwed into them too that would make for a rude awakening if stepped on in the dark.

I'd just be careful with possible damage to the bolt over time leaving it in there (to the point that it could damage the integrity of the bolt). I've had this happen with a screw in but not a bolt.
I've seen trees develop a spongy or a rotted area around places of foreign objects drilled or screwed into them too that would make for a rude awakening if stepped on in the dark.
hard woods tend to split if not pree drilled and over time can rot around the bolt.firs are softer but better to pre drill to help prevent rot

I purchased a property recently. I was planning on setting up a bunch of pre-sets this offseason. When I've had access to a property where I can do presets in the past, I usually used el-cheapo heavy metal sticks and put them up in July/Aug and take down in Feb/March each year. I take them down in the offseason because I've had strap damage when I leave them up (critters and trees swelling) and I don't want to have a strap break on me. It gives me an opportunity to inspect them. But, it's a big hassle of course.

I was thinking of switching to bolts this year and setting them with a power-drill. Easier to lug out to the field. But, I was thinking of putting them in and just leaving them. Forever. I'm fine if they can't come back out. I own the property. It seems like it'd be safer b/c no risk of strap damage. Less hassle because I wouldn't need to pull them at the end of each year. I know the bolts rust, but they should be plenty fine for a long time. I'll probably add a safety line to each when I set it up to hook up to while climbing.

I left all my presets for the first time this year....temps got too cold and they were frozen when I went to pull them. When things warm up, but buds havent opened yet I"m going to go pull some and see how they look. They're all in hardwood. I'll keep you in the loop, but I woul dthink you should get many years wtihout issue and I would still inspect yearly for failure areas.

Fasteners inc on ebay has 6" grade 8 bolts under a buck apiece, free shipping. I've ordered a hundred for my presets, & I do remove them after all the deer seasons are over. Never noticed any permanent damage, I've tapped some of the same trees to make maple syrup for years. Hitting a screw-in step someone left in a tree years ago with a chain saw is no fun, I have had that experience. There will be discoloration on the portion in the tree, the sap must be somewhat corrosive.

I have approximately 20 preset trees with bolts on and around my property. I carry vise grips if I were to decide to remove one or all of them at a particular area. I don't see issues leaving them permanently other than if you were to process/sell the trees. The vice grips will allow me to back them out if they grow in far enough to not allow room to step.

Set them and forget them. It will take years to rust out or the tree to rot. It also won't happen over night. So if you feel a little give on a bolt in a couple years, replace it. Also since you are setting and forgetting preseason, do like tailgunner posted. Use some heavy duty grade 8 lags. Pre drill and set with a socket. Keep the bolts for in season sets. Look into climbing bolts like they use on electrical towers, way to heavy to carry in a run and gun scenario, but will last forever.

Last edited:
Set them and forget them. It will take years to rust out or the tree to rot. It also won't happen over night. So if you feel a little give on a bolt in a couple years, replace it. Also since you are setting and forgetting preseason, do like tailgunner posted. Use some heavy duty lags. Pre drill and set with a socket. Keep the bolts for in season sets. Look into climbing bolts like they use on electrical towers, way to heavy to carry in a run and gun scenario, but will last forever.
it works just like that

I am doing this on our place this year. I have been pre-setting with the drill this past season but carrying my bolts with me. For ~10 bucks a set, I figure I should preset a few with grade 8 bolts (not galvanized grade 5 lags or anything else), especially observation stands that get used more often.

NO!!!!
Those are not grade 8!
Don't use anything less than grade 8.
corect these are only for holding up 1 foot by 4 foot glue lam beams 40 feet long permanantly suporting the georgia pacific mill roof with 17 thousand pound air conditioning units 9 of them.not for standing on.only i can they will snap on you. you need grade 8 steel to climb to your aluminum platform or plastic steps.and hang from a strap chair rated at 300 pounds

Last edited:
74,000pounds proof load.maybe i too should be as scared because i use these.im not going to sleep tonight.just be carefull and dont do what i do.my label below this says it all

I've got 25 trees pre-pegged. I use 5/8 thick 10" long concrete anchor bolts. The kind with the L on the end. I Pre-drill the hole and bang them in w/ a 3lb beater. They tend to rotate a little going in but you can tap them back straight up and down. Your feet NEVER slip off. I've got tree's that have been pegged for 20 years. They are a little extra money. $2.70 at Home Depot. Worth every penny. Quick ,quiet and safe up the tree. You can also Lineman's bolt steps. Basically the same thing.

Back