• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

bolts

martian

I have been considering prepping some trees next summer for the fall season by usig bolts, I was considering 8-10 in lag bolts, but at Home depot the 10 in. are $5 ea. I am curious , has anyone ever cut re-bar ? this is for private land of course, and would be something to do in the off season. I even thought you could do the ring of steps w/ them

How much is your life REALLY worth to YOU?
Do you REALLY want to find out how much those who love you most REALLY love you? Takes a special kind of love for a person to be willing to change an adults diaper multiple times a day EVERY day for potentially YEARS until that person dies. Even harder when the person changing said diaper KNOWS the injury that resulted in total paralysis was not only 100% that persons fault but was also 100% AVOIDABLE.

Spend a few $$$ and buy made in USA grade 8 bolts. ALOT cheaper than endlessly buying adult diapers.

Do you REALLY want to find out how much those who love you most REALLY love you? Takes a special kind of love for a person to be willing to change an adults diaper multiple times a day EVERY day for potentially YEARS until that person dies. Even harder when the person changing said diaper KNOWS the injury that resulted in total paralysis was not only 100% that persons fault but was also 100% AVOIDABLE.

Spend a few $$$ and buy made in USA grade 8 bolts. ALOT cheaper than endlessly buying adult diapers.

VERY VERY VERY GOOD POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly drill and bolt rather than lag. If you use a weaker metal, size up accordingly. Bounce test at ground level.

thanks for your heart felt scolding, but what I was trying to find out , is generally speaking, there are more then one option to look into, and for your info, my life is worth plenty to me

I have been considering prepping some trees next summer for the fall season by usig bolts, I was considering 8-10 in lag bolts, but at Home depot the 10 in. are $5 ea. I am curious , has anyone ever cut re-bar ? this is for private land of course, and would be something to do in the off season. I even thought you could do the ring of steps w/ them

Check out the Treehopper website. If you buy in bulk he will work with you. Just send him an email. I wouldn't use lag bolts because it will be weak at the threads and it is a weaker metal, so is rebar. Use grade 8 bolts.

Almost everyone uses 3/8” grade 8 bolts at a minimum of 6 inches. Grade 8 is the strongest commercial quality bolt available. I would NOT use rebar.

You can find either hex head or socket/Allen head grade 8 bolts easily on eBay. For around $1 a bolt.

Adjustments.jpg

Mark at www.treehopperllc.com sells bolts by the bulk as well. He’s a pleasure to deal with. His hand drills and drill bits make setting up trees a breeze. His drill bits drill 2 1/2” into the tree, leaving the rest of your bolt length as a step.

Just FYI if you're not planning on leaving them in for the season, the holes freeze shut. I found out the hard way on a cold morning but at least I brought the drill with me.

Almost everyone uses 3/8” grade 8 bolts at a minimum of 6 inches. Grade 8 is the strongest commercial quality bolt available. I would NOT use rebar.

You can find either hex head or socket/Allen head grade 8 bolts easily on eBay. For around $1 a bolt.

View attachment 20130

Mark at www.treehopperllc.com sells bolts by the bulk as well. He’s a pleasure to deal with. His hand drills and drill bits make setting up trees a breeze. His drill bits drill 2 1/2” into the tree, leaving the rest of your bolt length as a step.
Thank you . I did concrete for a while and I really thought 3/8 would be too small but then I thought I had some re-bar, and just didn't know if anyone had used them thanks again

Have you guys ever used 7” bolts for more room to step?

If you actually use that extra inch, the depth of the hole gets kinda sketchy. Unless you drill deeper.

Have you guys ever used 7” bolts for more room to step?

I use 3/8" bolts 7" long and grade 8 and have never had a problem as long as you make sure the hole is cleaned out good and don't step on the end when climbing!!! I also have used them as a ROS and had no problems what so ever and I weigh 200lbs! Just be safe in whatever you do!!!!!

I use 3/8" bolts 7" long and grade 8 and have never had a problem as long as you make sure the hole is cleaned out good and don't step on the end when climbing!!! I also have used them as a ROS and had no problems what so ever and I weigh 200lbs! Just be safe in whatever you do!!!!!
On a 7" bolt, how long on the bolt is the threaded section? One aspect of 6" bolts is that the threads (weakest part of a bolt and more likely to be where one could break) is all supported within the hole.
Do the threads on a 7" bolt protrude from the hole?

Back