• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Book Recommendation

sweats

I recently read this book and really enjoyed it. I mentioned it in an existing discussion, but I found it useful enough that I thought it merited its own thread in the Deer Hunting section.

It's the most complete reference I've ever seen regarding shot selection\placement, assessing where the deer is likely hit based on blood, hair, etc., and what to do in the various circumstances. Before anyone asks, I have no relationship with the company or author whatsoever. I just found the information really valuable and wanted to share.

Thank you.

It's an excellent book.
John Jeanneney is one of the founders of United Blood Trackers which train and use dogs for blood trailing.
He has been on over 900 blood trails (probably over 1,000 by now) so he is highly experienced at bloodtrailing and autopsies. He knows shot placement and the resulting evidence left from various shot locations and weaponry.
He also wrote a more extensive book on training blood trailing dogs...also an excellent book even if you don't have dogs. I learned a lot from both books. One of the reasons I bought the dog book was to learn more about how well a dog's olfactory system works. I figure that if I can learn more about a dog's ability to smell it will be helpful towards learning about a deer's sense of smell.
I believe the dog book has helped me reduce odor busts.

It's an excellent book.
John Jeanneney is one of the founders of United Blood Trackers which train and use dogs for blood trailing.
He has been on over 900 blood trails (probably over 1,000 by now) so he is highly experienced at bloodtrailing and autopsies. He knows shot placement and the resulting evidence left from various shot locations and weaponry.
He also wrote a more extensive book on training blood trailing dogs...also an excellent book even if you don't have dogs. I learned a lot from both books. One of the reasons I bought the dog book was to learn more about how well a dog's olfactory system works. I figure that if I can learn more about a dog's ability to smell it will be helpful towards learning about a deer's sense of smell.
I believe the dog book has helped me reduce odor busts.
I bought the dog training book as well just out of curiosity. It was also interesting, particularly the anecdotes the author includes to illustrate the concepts.

I don't recall which book it was in, perhaps it was both even, but my favorite was included in the section about how a shot passing near the spine can temporarily paralyze a deer. He talks about getting a call from a hunter who wanted him to trail a deer for him. Apparently the hunter thought the deer was dead, hung his firearm on the buck's rack, and while getting ready to take a photo the deer got up and ran off with the gun in its antlers. Talk about a bummer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I have had John track a couple deer for me. The last time 3 years ago he actually let me and his wife take Teddy( his best dog at the time)and track on our own. I was honored as his wife said he had never allowed anyone to hold the leash on one of his hogs trackong. He was slowing down than so not sure how much he is still getting out there. He signed my copy of that book when I stopped by later that last year and hung out at his place with him. He is a wealth of knowledge!! Shawn

I have had John track a couple deer for me. The last time 3 years ago he actually let me and his wife take Teddy( his best dog at the time)and track on our own. I was honored as his wife said he had never allowed anyone to hold the leash on one of his hogs trackong. He was slowing down than so not sure how much he is still getting out there. He signed my copy of that book when I stopped by later that last year and hung out at his place with him. He is a wealth of knowledge!! Shawn
That's really cool.

Another part of the story people will find funny. His wife and I came to the creek on the property and she said we have to cross Teddy wants a crossed. We find a downed tree and she says to me I am gonna have to carry him acrossed. He is wearing a vest type thing with a handle located on the middle of his back. I turn to her and ask " He can swim right?" Dhe says of course so I let the leash out all the way and grab his back handle and toss him in the creek!! She about sh&$+, her expression was priceless, but she followed me across the log and I hoisted Teddy up the other bank and we continued on!! LMAO! Shawn

Did you end up finding the deer?

Actually no, we believe someone else found him and took him. We tracked him to the edge of a field about 50 yards from a main road. We all think someone saw him in the field and grabbed him. 140" buck in that area is a giant. Shawn

Back