• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

?Boot gaiter questions?

nature tamer

Do boot gaiters keep your boots waterproof enough that you could walk through a stream and your socks not get wet? If so do you have any recommendations on which gaiters are the best?

Dry? No, not really. I wear gaiters a lot throughout the year (surveyor) to keep my feet dry at stream crossings and to keep debris out of my boots. I wear Kenetrek gaiters and if your boots are waterproof their gaiters will keep your feet dry, but I don’t spend a lot of time in the water either, just what little is necessary to get across.

Do boot gaiters keep your boots waterproof enough that you could walk through a stream and your socks not get wet? If so do you have any recommendations on which gaiters are the best?
Depends on how long it takes to get across. A 8" deep and 4-5 quick steps would probably be ok. Much more and you are playing with fire.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Okay thank you for everyones response! I dont think I will get them now. I was trying to find a boot similar to the cabelas lockdown, and thought maybe a gaiter would work.

Okay thank you for everyones response! I dont think I will get them now. I was trying to find a boot similar to the cabelas lockdown, and thought maybe a gaiter would work.
I would get them for everything else, wet grass, snow, etc... They are awesome

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I always wondered the reason for gators. Seems like rubber knee boots with pants tucked in solves all the problems except debris getting in your boot. Which with a snugged boot top, debris working down to bottom of boot will be minimum. Rubber knee boots is all I’ve ever hunted with. But I don’t hunt mountains. That would require a better boot for comfort.

All this gaitor talk made me think of one guy.... Jim Shockey. He has worn them forever and in all weather from African safaris to extreme cold and snow in Canada. I have a set of Cabelas guide series I wear with my Keens, especially during turkey season.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back