• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow pull-up help

Ninja Vanish

I’m so close to having my entire rig as efficient as possible but there has to be a better way to get the bow off the ground and into my hands. Just curious what everyone is doing. I had a retractable thing that was fine until it broke, albeit a heavy piece to my saddle. I’ve been using the internal wheel from it and just sticking it in my pocket but that’s a PITA. Who has found the best way to pull gear up the tree? I’ll hang up and listen attentively.

I’ve always used the hss retractable tape. I used it for my backpack and my weapon when using a climber.

that being said, the video I watched with Carl from tethrd doing his 1-stick climbing and rappel he used a dyno glide cord I think which he figure 8ed but it also was used to loosen his girth hitch on rappel cord so it served double duty.

I’ve used this for probably 30 hunts now, and I like it more every single time.

I've been using my tether/rappel rope to pull up and down my bow. It's long enough I can swing the bow out of my way and rappel without worrying about it. When I'm done I attach the "pull down line" and lower the tether down the trunk, swing out and remove platform. I use a combination of my linemans belt, extra tether, versa strap, or hys/gear strap for my "pull down line"to retrieve my rappel rope. Any 2 of those should work unless your climbing higher then 20'.

I printed a Figure 8 winder on the 3d printer. It works well with some paracord. I may end up using the rappelling rope to pull up my backpack. Still working on a good system for next year.

Wife bought me the Mathews system that hooks to the bow. I was talking about 3d printing my own since it is really overpriced. I guess the idea of the expensive bow hanging from a 3d printed part did not sit well with her.

I do this but don't wrap it as tight at the end and don't hang it off outside of pack. I stuff it in my backpack's side water bottle holder (with end clipped to pack so I can't lose it, figure 8 stuffed in carefully/vertically with working end pointing up). It feeds out like butter and gravity can't make it unravel unexpectedly. Really prefer it to the Doyle's (which I'll sell here once I get over my aversion to getting rid of stuff I don't use but might use in an alternate universe one day).

I've found that the camo paracord from Walmarts hardware area (not the outdoor stuff) is stiffer and slicker than most paracords (but otherwise is identical) and really excels in the figure 8 and in general gets tangled less than standard paracord.

Last edited:
Yes. Its easy to grab to lift the bow, slick enough to not tangle, strong enough to pull down my tether, even if it gets hung up.

Interesting, plus it is s strong it can be repurposed better than paracord if SHTF (but it doesn't take knots as well as paracord).

1.8mm dynaglide from @DanO
Figure eight. Simple and light. Best cord for pull down rope for rappel line too since it doesn’t stretch like paracord. Don’t over complicate simple things.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I’ll be trying the figure 8 tying method with some various cord I have lying around and see which works best.

I do this but don't wrap it as tight at the end and don't hang it off outside of pack. I stuff it in my backpack's side water bottle holder (with end clipped to pack so I can't lose it). It feeds out like butter and gravity can't make it unravel unexpectedly. Really prefer it to the Doyle's (which I'll sell here once I get over my aversion to getting rid of stuff I don't use but might use in an alternate universe one day).

I've found that the camo paracord from Walmarts hardware area (not the outdoor stuff) is stiffer and slicker than most paracords (but otherwise is identical) and really excels in the figure 8 and in general gets tangled less than standard paracord.
Yeah I’ve been doing this all year and have had no issues. I have a small biner on both ends so I raise/lower my bow with it and us it to pull my rappel rope down. I got a small danO Doyle’s pouch and sewed the hole shut and keep it on my saddle. I don’t let it feed out of the pocket, I just bring it out and clip to bow and linesman’s loop and throw the rope on the ground and climb. And your right, if you can find a stiffer, slicker parachord it works better but have never had any tangles that a little shake couldn’t take care of.

HME makes a webbing/strap “Sling Hoist” for guns. I cut off the metal hook at the end and put on a gear tie. Since it is webbing/strap material it will not tangle. I’ve tried the paracord/rope with the figured 8 but still tangles. This is the best I’ve found in my 30 years of pulling up gear.

Paracord in a figure 8 wrap. It's also my rope pull down line.

Last edited:
Paracord in figure 8 - small aluminum carabiners on each end. Hook one to a molle on the back of my saddle on the way up. On the way down hook one behind knot on rappel rope to pull it down from the tree. Takes less than 30s to wind figure 8 & tighten.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

Back