• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow Question

Alud555

I have a hoyt lazertec made in 2006 and am thinking about getting a new bow for next season. I hunted for a few years around then and am trying to get into it again here but I don't have a ton of money to throw at a flagship.

My questions are, will a new less expensive bow (diamond, bear) be a significant upgrade? Is it better to get a used name brand bow for that $400 range or get one of those mentioned?

I'm left handed so the used bows are harder to come by but I have time.

The likelihood is, yes, it will be an upgrade, probably vastly so. Go to a shop and try a few out. I hunted with a PSE Stingray for 12 years, that was a top shelf bow when I first bought it. After about 4 years of recurve hunting I bought a Diamond Edge 320. I think it is a far superior bow. I paid $600 for the PSE 16 yrs ago, $400 for the Diamond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As @Jebster said you’ll probably notice the difference, some new tech has come out since then but not drastic. Diamonds aren’t bad at all, my first was an infinite edge I still have. Bears have unfortunately gotten expensive. Def go hit up a shop and shoot a bunch. Me personally I never buy new as they’re just too expensive. I haunt archery talk and pick up a used year old flagship for half what it sold for new. I just purchase a used like new Realm SS for $600 that was 6 months old. Also take a look at Mathews entry level line, Martin. They’ve got some nice bows and being as you’re a lefty a dealer might have a new old stock on the shelf and they’ll cut you a deal.

As a fellow lefty it’s worth getting on archery talk. There are tons of LH bows on there. Hard to sell LH used bows so can usually find them pretty cheap!

Like others have said, AT classifieds are your friend. I just picked up a flawless elite tempo (2018 flagship) with a QAD rest for $325

As far as used flagships or new less expensive bows go, both are good options and have technology that you’re missing out on compared to your Hoyt Lazertec...you can get it done with ANY bow...I tend to favor used flagships from AT Classifieds or bow shops just because their components tend to be beefier and last longer such as cable guards, limb pockets, Axles, cams, etc. They’re flagships not because they shoot better per say, but they are typically made from tougher components that will last longer. Generally speaking they will have more adjustability, and it is easier to find parts if you have to replace something or want to try different draw length mods or whatever the case may be. At the end of the day, both are good options, but the used flagship route is where I tend to lean people toward who ask for my two cents.

I have done flagship bows for years but honestly I don’t feel there any better once you get them properly tuned speaking of which I think I’m gonna post some of my flagship bows on the classifieds here since I don’t ever use them ..lefty btw keep a eye out in case something peaks your interest

If your old one shots strait, don't listen the big guys on you tube saying you need the new model. If you old ones is still in good shape, spend the money on a new string, and some tunning. A 200 dollar bow shooting bullet holes through paper is better than a 600 dollar bow shooting crooked arrows. Your old bow is a Hoyt. So it's not like it's garbage and the company is out of business. If it feels good in the hand, tune it up and go kill stuff. Maybe just freshen it up. New sight, arrows, rest and go get em. Ask any traditional hunter if you need 350fps IBO speed with 800 dollars in accessories on it.
Good arrow flight, sharp broad head, and practice will kill deer.

If you had a gun made in 2006 by one of the big names, would you feel the need for an upgrade?

Hoyt is as highly regarded as anything. A diamond or bear is theoretically a "step down." Nothing new has happened in the archery world for probably 20 years, at least not in the way of making deer deader. At best, you might end up with a better feeling bow.

If you do go and buy a bow, definitely buy a used one. Doubtful that you'll get any improvement for 400 bucks over the counter. You MAY get something you like better with a new-to-you bow that's a few years newer than your current one.

Chris Bee stated this well in a recent video. If you use a piece of paper to represent bow designs and efficiency, and tear it in half to reflect design improvements every few years, it gets to the point that each tear becomes so minute, you can't tell the difference. Compound bows have been around long enough now we are deep into that concept (as in efficiency going up by 0.3% when it was already in the 98 range). A 2006 bow compared to a 2020 will be less efficient and not feel as good, regardless of brand or price, but is heads and shoulders above a 2000 bow.

I have a hoyt lazertec made in 2006 and am thinking about getting a new bow for next season. I hunted for a few years around then and am trying to get into it again here but I don't have a ton of money to throw at a flagship.

My questions are, will a new less expensive bow (diamond, bear) be a significant upgrade? Is it better to get a used name brand bow for that $400 range or get one of those mentioned?

I'm left handed so the used bows are harder to come by but I have time.
If you're just getting back into archery hunting, I'd stick with the Hoyt this year. Get her a tune up and new strings, maybe new arrows (conventional like you previously shot, not the heavy fad) and get to practicing.

If you like it after being away so long, upgrade next spring, play with heavy arrows, etc. You'll have plenty of time then to find a good deal on a used flagship, and experiment with arrows.

Personally I'm hunting with a 2008 Diamond The Rock. It was a bargain bow when brand new, but with new strings and a tune up, it still draws 60lbs, throws 460 grain arrows accurately at 275fps, and that still kills deer. I'll upgrade next year(tm).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody. I think I'm going to keep what I have for now. I've been shooting for the last few years but actually found some land nearby so I can hunt more than once or twice a year like I've been doing the last few years. Really getting into it.

You don’t “need” a new bow but if you want one buy one. I don’t think a new bow will increase your odds for success this fall. I would have your string replaced, upgrade the sight and rest if you wish, and get a dozen arrows and broadheads. Then with what’s left in your budget get a nice bag target and a broadhead target. If your happy with the rest and sight on your bow spend that cash on a decent rangefinder.

Back