• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bow Tuning Help VXR 28

MathewsMan7

I think I know the answer but just want to make sure before I proceed. I have my centershot set perfectly currently. 20 shots in a row I’ve gotten a minor tail right tear...obviously worse with my bare shafts but tail right with both fletched and bare shafts. I want to keep my rest dead center and actually the way my rest is set up I can’t move it any further left (which would be the easy fix to alleviate a tail right tear)...anyway, I believe that I need to change out my top hat system. Has anybody done this to fix paper tears? Did you just move the top hats on the top can or did you also move the top hats on the bottom cam as well? These are how every tear look...00BCBFA1-1B76-4837-9228-FA07C219CA45.png

I did. I had a consistent nock left that I couldn’t get rid of no matter what I did, had the local bow show check and they flip flopped the bottom cam’s top hat and perfect bullet holes. Never touched the top cam.

Sent from parts unknown

I did. I had a consistent nock left that I couldn’t get rid of no matter what I did, had the local bow show check and they flip flopped the bottom cam’s top hat and perfect bullet holes. Never touched the top cam.

Sent from parts unknown
Ahh ok. I wonder since my tear is complete opposite of yours if I should try the top hat first?

If you’ve exhausted all other options with moving your rest around and what not I would. It was only my bottom top hat too. It looked slightly different/off compared to my top cam and I played with my rest for a couple days thinking it was me but it was the top hat that time at least.

Sent from parts unknown

Sounds like a yoke tune problem or your bows timing is off maybe arrow shaft is too stiff also check your form . Check form first a little torque on the bow could do that. The tear is not all the bad . Try gripping the bow a little different and shoot some arrows through paper . See if that works before going to timing and yoke tune. Hope that helps.

You’re right...it’s crazy how much bow grip affects paper tears...I’ve been consciously working on that over the last couple months. My tears are very consistent tail right. I’ve got the arrow running 13/16 from the riser, so to change the power stroke of the bow I believe I need to change my top hats. Will change them out tomorrow and report what that did to the paper tears.

You’re right...it’s crazy how much bow grip affects paper tears...I’ve been consciously working on that over the last couple months. My tears are very consistent tail right. I’ve got the arrow running 13/16 from the riser, so to change the power stroke of the bow I believe I need to change my top hats. Will change them out tomorrow and report what that did to the paper tears.
Good luck let me know how it works out for you. Worked many years at a archery shop tuned a lot of bows and some can be finicky.

Did the top hat change end up working for you? I am in almost the exact same scenario.

Yes. All I did was change the top top hat configuration and bare shaft bullet hole. I changed the bottom ones as well just to experiment and it went to a tail left tear...so I changed it back and again, bullet hole with a bare shaft. So all in all, that's all it needed.

Question, which side did you put the thicker top hat on? looking at the bow as you're holding?

From my understanding the cam needs to move towards the tear, so the thicker top hat would go on the left. But wanted to verify.

From my understanding the cam needs to move towards the tear, so the thicker top hat would go on the left. But wanted to verify.
You are correct...you are just shimming the cam to the right (which is putting the thicker top hat on the left)

Back