• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Breakin' the Law!! Breakin' the Law!!

It's just doing some pruning, if you look at it your making that bush more healthy and better looking, its like a fresh haircut. I did some also yesterday.

If you don’t think he won’t be mad you go another thing coming

Lightweight. Packs with secret compartments anyone? Using bolts and setting my cruise control over the speed limit are my law breaking confessions.

For the first time in...I literally don't remember how long, I clipped a bush that was making my 40 yard shooting lane a 15 yard one. @Allegheny Tom, when Mr. Green-Jeans shows up imma tell him you corrupted me!

I gotta run and throw these clippers in the swamp now before he shows up.
As Sargent Schultz used to say... "I know nuthing, nuthing, I didn't even get up this morning...."

Hey, I didn't realize that you even owned a pair of pruners. haha.

I never hunt public so pruning is never a legal issue but there are situations that I'd rather not cut a certain branch. I usually have some zip ties and/or cordage in my pack. They can be used to pull obstructions out of the way when pruning is not practical or legal.

As Sargent Schultz used to say... "I know nuthing, nuthing, I didn't even get up this morning...."

Hey, I didn't realize that you even owned a pair of pruners. haha.

I never hunt public so pruning is never a legal issue but there are situations that I'd rather not cut a certain branch. I usually have some zip ties and/or cordage in my pack. They can be used to pull obstructions out of the way when pruning is not practical or legal.
I bought some special for this year. I've got a whole new state full of public to explore and I've realized that I'd rather hunt with the Pacseat if I don't know what I'm walking into and will be in the woods all day. I figured clippers may be handy.

I am getting about to the point of "allegedly" bringing pruners with me on my hunts. I am all about conservation but the briars, thorn bushes, and privet about to catch these hands. I hate getting caught up in that stuff.

I thought this one was quite strange as well. It's against the law to use a flashlight while walking to your stand between sunset and sunrise, but I am sure plenty of folks break that law too.
1633970071559.png
If you're ole nutter though, you walk through the woods spotlighting for deer and once you see eyes you sit down, set up, and wait for legal shooting light. Hah! At least that way you're aren't poaching then!

I am getting about to the point of "allegedly" bringing pruners with me on my hunts. I am all about conservation but the briars, thorn bushes, and privet about to catch these hands. I hate getting caught up in that stuff.

I thought this one was quite strange as well. It's against the law to use a flashlight while walking to your stand between sunset and sunrise, but I am sure plenty of folks break that law too.
View attachment 54673
If you're ole nutter though, you walk through the woods spotlighting for deer and once you see eyes you sit down, set up, and wait for legal shooting light. Hah! At least that way you're aren't poaching then!
That one takes the cake as the absolute most-dumbest...est law Alabama DCNR has cooked up. It has been on the books my whole life and I have broken it every season.

Mississippi gave me a breath of fresh air this season. In their regulations with hunter orange requirements, they actually recommend using a light when traversing to and from your stand at night as a safety precaution so that you can see and be seen.
shocked pikachu.png

Is it weird that I have got down out of the tree at dark without turning on a light to see where other hunters were at/which way they came/ to not let them see me? Because I may or may not have done that before. I guess that is how you're suppose to do it and be legal after all. It gets crowded on wheeler, you couldn't throw a rock on a saturday without hitting another hunter.

Is it weird that I have got down out of the tree at dark without turning on a light to see where other hunters were at/which way they came/ to not let them see me? Because I may or may not have done that before. I guess that is how you're suppose to do it and be legal after all. It gets crowded on wheeler, you couldn't throw a rock on a saturday without hitting another hunter.
Not weird, it’s strategic.

While we're on the subject of dumb laws...

A couple of years ago I shot a buck at a draw hunt. Texted the official in charge of the hunt to let him know I would be late back to the shed getting it out. He voluntold some state guys to help me out with the quad. When they got there I had a possession transfer slip filled out for them and jokingly insisted they sign it before they loaded my deer up so nobody got a ticket since, after all, I was riding back to camp in my truck separate and would not be "in possession" of the deer.

They told me I was the most upstandingest jackazz they'd had the pleasure of assisting. Apparently I was the only one who had ever brought that up.

Back