• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Broadhead choices?

Can’t go wrong with cutthroats. I’ve used grizzlystik before, liked them. Mined balanced and flew well. Blew through both shoulders of a buck last season and buried itself in a tree.

I use the cutthroats, have had good success with them. As far as keeping them from rusting I use a wd40 rust inhibitor.

You will find carbon steel is much easier to obtain a razor sharp edge. The rust isn't a problem if you keep them lubed a little bit. I find a drop of Remoil works pretty well but a light coating of about any oil will do the job if you take a look at them occasionally.

Cutthroats are awesome! I’ve shot mine into concrete. A better bet than like the helix where the tip is so narrow or similar styling heads. I just use some rust preventative on them.

the abowyer come in carbon or stainless. So is hardness to sharpen the only drawback for SS? I live in the deep south and have a lot of humidity that can stuff pretty easily.

Just use bowstring wax or chapstick. Also, VPA makes a really high quality single bevel in tool steel.

I have some Abowyer Whitetail II heads in stainless that I’m going to try this season too, but my go to are the VPA heads.

I'm going with Grizzly Kodiaks from 3Rivers, and Grizzlystick Maasai's from the classifieds. First year with either so no blood to speak of. That said I was looking really hard at the Aboyers. All the heads you listed are highly regarded.

the abowyer come in carbon or stainless. So is hardness to sharpen the only drawback for SS? I live in the deep south and have a lot of humidity that can stuff pretty easily.
There are so many alloys of "stainless steel" as well as carbon steel that you cannot know for sure unless they list the variation they use. 440C is about the only stainless I would consider. A lot use 420 which I rate as pretty mushy and not suitable for edged tools. Almost all of the carbon steel broadheads are stiff enough for penetrating whitetail and sharpen real nice. Just one opinion here but I worked with steel of all types as a tool maker for 46 years if that counts for anything.

420 Stainless Steel the abowyer says, The grizzlystik overkill samurai 200 says AUS4 the regular samurai is 440c but 40$ more. So you wouldn't consider any but the regular samurai?

420 Stainless Steel the abowyer says, The grizzlystik overkill samurai 200 says AUS4 the regular samurai is 440c but 40$ more. So you wouldn't consider any but the regular samurai?
If I ever went to Stainless it would only be the 440C. I'm pretty content with carbon steel. I use the VPA 2 blade 150 grain head currently. We have plenty of humidity in Central Illinois and it only takes 5 minutes a couple of times a season to coat my heads.

Reactions: JC3
Back