• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buck 4 for the year

TNhunter

Was blessed to feel my buck tag in IL yesterday afternoon. He came out at 5:05 and gave me a perfect broadside shot. He kicked his back legs and then walked off. Watched him go 140 yards down the edge of the field and then he bedded down on the edge of a fence line. He bedded for 15 minutes then got up and walked into the fence line to where I could not see him. At this point I really started to question my shot and after looking at the arrow didn’t want to take a chance on pushing him. The arrow had good dark blood but I was afraid that maybe I hit back farther than I thought and had a gut shot. Decided to play it smart and ease out and come back the next morning. Unfortunately the coyotes had a feast and he wasn’t 20 yards from where I watched him bed the first time. Turns out my shot was way better than I had led myself to believe with an exit right behind the right shoulder and he was probably dead within an hour.
6a1001773923dbd7c522c7a2fb828692.jpg
1eefc8aeaf65d964fae7aa3ac8ba0a6a.jpg

This was my first buck out of my mantis and Tethrd really knocked it out of the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats on a great buck! Those yotes will make quick work out of one.

Heck of a nice deer. Being on a field edge like that, he likely didn't have a chance of making it untouched overnight. Hopefully the IL DNR will give u a replacement tag under the circumstances. On the bright side, it looks like they may have left you enough cape to mount it, if you planned to. Time to switch gears and get your predator game on.

No closed season here in CT. My area was infested. Killed 10 by myself in 17' over the course of first week of Jan through the third week of Feb. It was my first time giving it a try. Only an occassional sighting or howl now, rather than packs, encountered previously. And after now nearly 2 seasons, more deer around as well. I caution though: Like deer hunting it can be addictive.....

Last edited:
Nice buck, sorry about the coyotes. I tried to thin them out last week when I was in Illinois but the snow storm didn't help - couldn't see a thing Friday night with the blowing snow.

Hunters lose deer to coyotes, hogs and bears more often than we know. We all want to give them time and not push if they were poorly hit.I believe the majority of the time this is the right and responsible thing to do. Then there are those unforeseen rain showers that wash a blood trail away or in your case predator/scavenger gets a meal. Either way it is a gamble to some extent. Glad you were able to locate what was left. Congratulations on your buck.

Back