• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buckless straps versus amsteel for sticks

pesqimon

Let’s say you’re into the buckless method but the included six foot straps are shorter than you’d like, so now you wanna buy 7ft straps.

Are you better off just getting some amsteel?

Amsteel is probably more expensive, but easier to get on the sticks?

I have been using daisy chained webbing and alternating between using the loops and buckleless to see which I like. It’s really a close call.

I'm not a huge fan of the buckless method for hunting deer...

How often do you miss that extra foot? Maybe get a couple of longer ones, or use sling extensions or something?

I'm not a huge fan of the buckless method for hunting deer...

How often do you miss that extra foot? Maybe get a couple of longer ones, or use sling extensions or something?

What do you like hunting buckleless? :D

I am not missing the extra foot right now as I am using 8ft daisy chains while I play with the concept.

My question is that cost is a big pro of the buckleless method, but it you had to buy the strap, should one might as well go with amsteel?

What do you like hunting buckleless? :D
Yeah I'm all about that except for a couple on my saddle...err actually one of my main clinbing methods is squirrelsteps with a crapton of buckles.

Honestly I'd choose whichever you like using and packs best.

I like the buckles method with my lone wolf custom sticks. But I wanted the strap longer. I have a set of tethrd mini straps. I have used them. Except I use them like the buckleless method instead of using the loops.

I have just this season so far to compare, so keep that in mind, but in comparing daisy chain webbing to Amsteel I find a clear preference for the daisy chain. The Amsteel is good, but takes longer to do and is just more fiddly. I also struggled to get Amsteel stowed effectively on my Heliums. Could never figure out a good way to secure them for transport that didn't make it hard to fit the sticks together. Probably just my incompetence.

Daisy chain webbing is not perfect. It gets annoying when a loop doesn't fit the tree girth just right. But they are so light and fast to get on and off the stick (with shock cord) and the tree, I prefer them to my Amsteel ropes.

I have not tried buckle-less (that word confounds me!) straps, but they seem like they'd be just as fiddly to tie on as Amsteel.

For a mobile/run and gun set up I don't think you can beat the daisy chain method of webbing or amsteel for attaching sticks or a platform for that matter. No buckles means less banging and twanging and that means more bucks. I'm all in on the amsteel right now the stuff is just super easy to work with and like it in the field better than the webbing. It packs and unpacks a little better for me and is easier to get it to the tightness I need by simply twisting it a little. The webbing does this as well just think amsteel does it better. I like the 1/4" over the smaller stuff just easier to handle in the field for me.

I love the amsteel daisy chain. Light, quiet, and quick. Its down fall is its slick so some trees can be a pain but not every thing is going to have all pros.

Agree with @DaveT1963 the amsteel is awesome because you can make it the exact length you want which is great for rope management.
c0139b488d24579a45549fe777a5497e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Personally, I do not prefer daisy chains - I prefer straight 1/4 inch Amsteel and I see no disadvantage for any kind of set up (to include run and gun which is what i do 70% of the time)

Just to be clear... not arguing between daisy chain and other methods...

Just saying, all else being equal and I am going to spend money... should I spend it on webbing or amsteel for a buckleless method? Ropes are cool too but I think they would get disqualified in the weight category compared to the first two options.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Just to be clear... not arguing between daisy chain and other methods...

Just saying, all else being equal and I am going to spend money... should I spend it on webbing or amsteel for a buckleless method? Ropes are cool too but I think they would get disqualified in the weight category compared to the first two options.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

If it was me, i would go for amsteel - webbing can become very prone to letting go all at once with a nick - amsteel to me wears better and is far less likely to let go if it gets nicked.

I prefer Amsteel. If you do decide to use straps, look at the Lone Wolf 3' strap extensions.

Refreshing this thread as I am pondering this exact topic at the moment. I just tested the buckleless method out today with my stock lone wolf straps and my lone wolf sticks, and I really liked it over the rope mod with pmi 8mm accessory cord. I think the strap just grabs the tree better since there is almost no stretch compared to the pmi rope. I am just trying to figure out what strength polyester webbing lone wolf is using for their straps. My research today has yielded 1" polyester webbing with strength rating from 1000lbs - 4,500lbs and not sure which is best for this application. I am still interested in testing out the amsteel option as well. Maybe another order from DanO is in my future.

DaveT after watching your rope mod video some time ago I have opted for Amsteel rope mods with only a 1" loop because after talking to Dan O that I will be putting the rope mod on once(when I replace my versa buttons). I myself don't see a need to be taking them on and off after initial installation.

I like the buckles method with my lone wolf custom sticks. But I wanted the strap longer. I have a set of tethrd mini straps. I have used them. Except I use them like the buckleless method instead of using the loops.
I’m doing the same. They get tighter to the tree that way. I tried daisy chains but just couldn’t get that that right.

Back