• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bucks bedding in tall grass/short brush

ThereWillBeSpuds

So yesterday I had an interesting hunt. The wind was light and variable, despite the forecast calling for 8 to 10mph winds from the west all day. My original plan was to show up an hour before first light walk a road behind a gate from the north and then cut east into a thicket I had previously scouted and set up over a trail through the thick stuff. Unfortunately everything went wrong.

I overslept.

Truck was almost empty.

Left my wallet and had to turn around to go get money for gas.

Leaving my house the second time, I got stopped by a freight train.

When I finally got to the spot and parked, It was grey light and rainy. Not my plan at all. So I start off down the gated road, slow, quiet, bow in hand. At this point its legal shooting light so I figure I might have an opportunity on my way into the thicket. On the right side of the road is mature forest with a healthy understory, lots of big red oaks. On the left is a clear-cut that has tall grass and short brushy plants growing in it. I see all kinds of deer activity out about 150 yds into the clear-cut. I make a mental note of that and then continue with my original plan. As soon as I cut west, toward my target thicket, the wind swirls and I have at least 3 deer blowing at me and they all crash off into the thicket making all kinds of racket. I figure my hunt is probably toast.

I creep back toward the road and a jet does a low flyover (airforce base nearby) and a pile of coyotes start yippin and yodelin. I got to the road just as the yippin stopped and I didn't get to see any yotes. What I did see was a white tail bounding out across the clear-cut and the bedding down. So I decide its time to try some spot and stalk. I get to about 40yd from where I think that deer is bedded and at this point the wind has completely died and the rain has stopped. No cover for my sound at all. Of course I break a twig and he bounds off. Little buck that I would totally shoot. I make note of where I last saw him, but he cuts behind a little patch of taller grass and I think he kept going after he was out of my field of view.

I sat up next to a patch of trees for about 30 minutes looking for tines above the grass, or movement. Didnt see anything, so I decided to creep off toward the tall patch of grass where I lost the buck and didn't find or bump him again. However, about 50yds south of that patch a much larger buck stood up and did a similar houdini act to the first buck. I couldn't figure out where he stopped running.

Anyway, at this point I have pretty much given up for the day, I'm tired and I need to crap. I head back to the road and back toward the truck. On the way out I note a pine sapling with a rub the size of a legal pad on it, almost nipple height on me, close to the field edge.

So my tentative plan for this spot is to wait for a day with strong east wind or rain or both. Sneak in before light and climb a tree on the western edge of the clear-cut and glass as the deer start bedding down, then rappel down the tree, leave my climbing stuff at the base of the tree and crawl out to where I see the bucks bed down. The question then is how do I get them to stand up and take my arrow?

Another idea: The big rub is close enough to the trees that i could set up in a tree and shoot across the road (legal because it is closed to traffic) maybe put a decoy next to the rub and do some grunting and snort wheezing? Is that more of a peak rut thing? I don't have a decoy but I probably know someone with one.

Gold is the original path I planned on
Aqua is the thicket I blew the deer out of
Red is my truck
Purple is the clear-cut (sat image is outdated)
White is approximately where the big rub is.
2e64c54afe2773b229916465abffe441.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

If you’ve got a few days to hunt and don’t have to be super aggressive, I’d set up and watch the bucks come in and bed down and see if they work by you coming or going to bed. After you get some intel you’ll be able to set up right where they come in or go out of the field. Very risky to rappel down and try to stalk them, unless it’s more fun

If you’ve got a few days to hunt and don’t have to be super aggressive, I’d set up and watch the bucks come in and bed down and see if they work by you coming or going to bed. After you get some intel you’ll be able to set up right where they come in or go out of the field. Very risky to rappel down and try to stalk them, unless it’s more fun
Problem is it was barely legal light when I walked past them the first time, dim enough that I could only see them if they were moving or their tails were up. At that point they were 150yds or more into the clear-cut, I am not 100 percent sure that the bucks I harassed were among those deer at first light but they probably were. Doubt they would be on the wood edge in shooting light? Maybe different in the evening.

Problem is it was barely legal light when I walked past them the first time, dim enough that I could only see them if they were moving or their tails were up. At that point they were 150yds or more into the clear-cut, I am not 100 percent sure that the bucks I harassed were among those deer at first light but they probably were. Doubt they would be on the wood edge in shooting light? Maybe different in the evening.

What time did you leave for the day? I’d bet anything those bucks get up and move from there in the middle of the day. Maybe scout around the field edge carefully to find a trail in or out, possibly leading to a water source or midday food source such as an oak or apple tree or green patch. You’ve got a big piece of the puzzle by knowing where they’re bedded, but a few more pieces will help the picture come together. Patience is key

What time did you leave for the day? I’d bet anything those bucks get up and move from there in the middle of the day. Maybe scout around the field edge carefully to find a trail in or out, possibly leading to a water source or midday food source such as an oak or apple tree or green patch. You’ve got a big piece of the puzzle by knowing where they’re bedded, but a few more pieces will help the picture come together. Patience is key
I left around 10am, I know I should have stayed longer. There were a couple of clear trails out into and out of the field. Think I should set up over a trail out for an all day sit?

I left around 10am, I know I should have stayed longer. There were a couple of clear trails out into and out of the field. Think I should set up over a trail out for an all day sit?

If you’re tough then yes, if you’re sneaky then I would slip in at like 9:30 and make sure you climb the back of the tree so that the bedded deer can’t see you. Hopefully you can glass them bedded in the field. If they’re there I’d bet they at least stand up to stretch their legs by noon and many times they’ll move to different bedding in the middle of the day.

We always consider evening and morning to be the biggest times for deer movement, but hardly anyone is in the field to see a deer move between 10-2. If anyone else is hunting the Area you could have them bump the deer towards you when they leave their stand at 9-10.

If you’re tough then yes, if you’re sneaky then I would slip in at like 9:30 and make sure you climb the back of the tree so that the bedded deer can’t see you. Hopefully you can glass them bedded in the field. If they’re there I’d bet they at least stand up to stretch their legs by noon and many times they’ll move to different bedding in the middle of the day.

We always consider evening and morning to be the biggest times for deer movement, but hardly anyone is in the field to see a deer move between 10-2. If anyone else is hunting the Area you could have them bump the deer towards you when they leave their stand at 9-10.
Its an archery only area in a larger state forest. Its also butted right up next to the ranger office and the tractor shed, I think most people write it off. If it wasn't archery only these bucks would be dead meat cause someone would have set up on the field edge and picked em off as the sun came up from 150 or 200 yards.

I think you have found a good area with what sounds like a lot of deer in it. If Im going to get in there and set up, I would look at some of those inside corners of the clearcut or somewhere near where those bucks were bedded, depending on the wind. I think based on your description that rub was probably made at night considering its location and probably isn't even very recent and I personally wouldn't make a plan around peripheral sign like that.

I bump my share of deer. Spook them or kill them is how I hunt. If I saw a tank get up from a bed a couple of things are happening. I'd note the exact conditions, as you have done. And then I am trying to kill him as soon as I can. If you didn't scout the J hook then a morning sit could be problematic. If you think you can do it then I would be hanging and ready no less than an hour before legal, maybe 2. I would plan to sit and wait on him to stand, close enough to shoot the bed. My preferred method would be an evening sit with the assumption that he will be there. The rub is a clue to his exit route. I'd want to be under 100 yards, as close as I could get. No way I'm sitting back waiting on him. Be aggressive and kill him, or blow it up and move on.

Is the rut on? Other option might be get close and act like another buck. Get down wind, and get a good back drop in the shade. Act like a buck rubbing the tree. Might get him up to investigate.
Sounds like fun either way.

I bump my share of deer. Spook them or kill them is how I hunt. If I saw a tank get up from a bed a couple of things are happening. I'd note the exact conditions, as you have done. And then I am trying to kill him as soon as I can. If you didn't scout the J hook then a morning sit could be problematic. If you think you can do it then I would be hanging and ready no less than an hour before legal, maybe 2. I would plan to sit and wait on him to stand, close enough to shoot the bed. My preferred method would be an evening sit with the assumption that he will be there. The rub is a clue to his exit route. I'd want to be under 100 yards, as close as I could get. No way I'm sitting back waiting on him. Be aggressive and kill him, or blow it up and move on.
So to be clear for a morning hunt you would set up real early on the ground in natural cover right near where they were bedded before?

So to be clear for a morning hunt you would set up real early on the ground in natural cover right near where they were bedded before?

I would set up wherever I thought I would be able to shoot the bed at first light. If there is no tree close enough then yes I would be on the ground. Bucks J hook into beds, there are likely exceptions but I've never seen it. They always scent check before going into bed. I don't think calling would be extremely productive this late, but if you were able to slip in undetected and then hit a sequence close by it might pull him in. I'm not saying be reckless, but you have to get in there close to kill him with a bow, as you know. So you have to be in there, if you spook him or don't see him just assume he won that round. Then find another. Bucks bed where they bed for reasons. So even if you strike out don't be discouraged. It sounds like you found a great spot that will likely produce each season.

if you spook him or don't see him just assume he won that round. Then find another. Bucks bed where they bed for reasons. So even if you strike out don't be discouraged. It sounds like you found a great spot that will likely produce each season.

I figure ill hunt it a couple times before season closes January 1 and then shed hunt it and maybe set up a trail camera on an edge somewhere. I agree that this feels like a spot that will be productive until the forestry service decides to plant it with pines and those pines get too tall to glass into.

Forecasted to be light rain with 12 to 17mph winds from the south Monday morning. Hoping that holds so I can try and sneak in from the north edge.

Working on a stalker decoy, gotta do some fine sharpie work on the face and figure out a mounting solution to my bow, and practice shooting, but what are sundays for?

Back