• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Buckthorn Management on Public

Patriot38

SH Member
Just went scouting. I noticed a huge section of buckthorn that was cut down. (MN). Many of the larger trees were just scored. Does the forest service score the trees and apply poison or is this more of a mark to cut down later?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

131north

Never heard it called ring cutting, I always called it girdling but basically you're creating a standing dead tree by cutting through the cambium. Quick way to open up a forest floor to sunlight, but as the video said, pretty sketchy because that tree (or it's branches) can come down any time the longer it stands there dead. Usually you remove the bark in between those 2 cuts, so hard to say if that was a professional job or not...

Lawson_vt

Highly doubt that the Forest Service did that, check with your state game/land management agency.
Used to work for the Forest Service and that is not a project they would likely take on.

walleyepatrol2

SH Member
Its called TSI or Timber Stand Improvement. I am assuming you were on MN DNR State or Forest land. This is often done to get rid of unwanted species while still leaving the timber to stand to allow for wildlife etc to use the dead and dying trees. A practical way to manage unwanted species when there is often no market for the undesirable species. They most likely cut the buckthorn and treated the stumps with herbicide the work is often done in winter months.