• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Budget backup bow, Mathews HTX or an Elite?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
For Christmas, I'm saving for a back up in the $350 range. Glad being a lefty, our stuff are a little cheaper even if its harder to fine. I'm not brand loyal, but l love my Mathews Creed bow, have tried 3-4 other bows before at shops, but in no way an expert on aspect of what make a good bow. Like draw cycle, valley, back wall, etc, l understand the concepts and can tell the quality difference between my Creed and my budget Mission Craze. But l dont really know the signature quality of brands. So anyway, with my $350 budget, l see a HTX in the price range, also a lot of Elite which l heard are good bows with horrible resale values. Thinking about getting either an HTX or Elite Ritual. What do you guys think? Any word of wisdom?

This is not going to be a test and then sell bow. But will be backup and pass down.

I would look for a switchback xt or a Hoyt element if it were me. Both can be found at that price point. However, with a little digging I have found new elites at that price. The answer and impulse were both good. A dark horse, Athens. Best grip in the game.

For Christmas, I'm saving for a back up in the $350 range. Glad being a lefty, our stuff are a little cheaper even if its harder to fine. I'm not brand loyal, but l love my Mathews Creed bow, have tried 3-4 other bows before at shops, but in no way an expert on aspect of what make a good bow. Like draw cycle, valley, back wall, etc, l understand the concepts and can tell the quality difference between my Creed and my budget Mission Craze. But l dont really know the signature quality of brands. So anyway, with my $350 budget, l see a HTX in the price range, also a lot of Elite which l heard are good bows with horrible resale values. Thinking about getting either an HTX or Elite Ritual. What do you guys think? Any word of wisdom?

This is not going to be a test and then sell bow. But will be backup and pass down.

Well I have an HTR @ 70 33"ata, and it's "slow", super quite, smooth draw, awkward grip and unnervingly accurate! Conversely, I've an Elite Valor 28 3/4" ata, holds steady, solid backwall, good grip, "quicker" at 62 than HTR, good accuracy out to 40 with very little practice, and is easy to handle balance wise.

Honestly I think a Ritual will be as accurate, if not more than the HTX, Valor has identical cams to the Ritual.

They are both great options!!

Depends on your tastes:
HTX compact w smooth draw

Ritual more speed and stable

Last edited:
I blame myself, I got to taste the good life for a second and realized there were clear noticeable qualities that I never realized. My Mathews Creed is a 70lbs limbs that is dialed all the way back to 60lbs. I notice a little sponginess but it was nothing that bother me. Nothing compared to my current backup which is a Mission Craze dialed down to 55lbs from its 70lbs. I could probably pull back another inch after the draw stop haha. Both shoot fine and are perfectly fine for hunting. But then I got to try out a Mathews TRX target bow at a shop (so rare to even FIND a left hand bows at a shop now). WOW. The draw was so smooth, the backwall was rock solid, and I swear I was pulling 40lbs instead of the 60lbs that set at. So got me really interested in how technology has improved since my bow. Not ready to drop $700+ for a newer USED bow, but man some of them bow look video game like....

But anyway, I am not a bow collector in general, so its rare for me to buy one. But heard good things about the HTR/HTX and Rituals.

I would try to find an elite ritual. I had one and shot better with it than anything I've ever had.

I shot the HTX a few years ago. For me at least, it was one of the best bows I’ve ever shot. The shop owner is a life long Mathews dealer and said it may be one of their best. Not fast by some standards but freakishly accurate which I think has been mentioned. I wanted an easier bow to work on so I went with a z3. Would definitely buy a new/used htx if given the opportunity.

You could likely find a Mission MXR in lefty for that price.

I've got no complaints about mine and most things that I've read everyone seems to give very high praise for it being as inexpensive as it is.

I currently run an old Mathews z7 extreme. I got a good deal on it from the classifieds on here. I’m running a crossbow as my backup bow. Not sure if the OP has kids or not but I chose a crossbow as a backup so when they get old enough they have something to possibly hunt with also.

Shot an HTR for a few years, agree with all the above. The draw cycle is very polarizing, you’ll either love it or hate it. Stupid accurate, only reason I sold mine was I couldn’t get used to the grip(yes I tried other grips) but that is in no way a dig against the bow, I’m just grumpy about my grip. If you have a longer draw length go with HTR, shorter HTX, same bow. HTR might be easier to find. If you end up with one hit up archery talk for draw mods I’m sure there’s some floating around there. I will say they are a boat anchor tho.
61CB5DDC-0301-4420-BE59-C5FCBECABDB0.jpeg

I currently run an old Mathews z7 extreme. I got a good deal on it from the classifieds on here. I’m running a crossbow as my backup bow. Not sure if the OP has kids or not but I chose a crossbow as a backup so when they get old enough they have something to possibly hunt with also.

Yup, got a Barnett Jackal crossbow as my 'drag kid to wood' or 'broke my arm' back up. I'm sorry, I just cant imagine spending 2k+ for a Ravin....

Don't count Bear out either, I love my bear kuma, paid around that price point for it

I had an elite, but they are a pita to work on imo. Many of them you need to purchase mods to adjust your DL. So unless you find one with the proper DL, expect to pay another $50 for a replacement mod

Last edited:
Back