• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Bullman steps vs Jim Stepps/WE

DMTJAGER

For those who own and use both the Bullman Seilent Approach strap on steps and the WE/Jim Stepp ladder steps which do you prefer and why?
I own a bunch of the original Stepp Ladder strap on steps but I must admit the compactness and ultra light weight of the Bullman steps are VERY appealing

Wildedge stepps all day! Bullman steps would kick out if you had any side pressure while climbing. Wildedge stepps once you cam over tight they are not going anywhere , and you can put two feet on a step if you need to, as well as use a step above you for handle to help pull yourself up to the next step which would give you 3 point contact in addition to the linemans belt . As far as compact carrying setup, a WEI steps were about the same. If your carrying 2 bullman step bags that's twice the amount , when you could carry one bag! Also for weight limits bullman says 275# WEI. said challenge accepted and has had Andrew the owner sitting on a four wheeler while hanging off a stepp in the air. can't beat that! Bullman you can take out the box and strap to a tree so super simple . WEI you have a slight learning curve to get the cam over and rope tight. I think they both have there place in saddle hunting!

Last edited:
You can buy 2 or 3 bullman steps and try before you buy the full set.

Redhawk thanks for your input.
Have you seen the video of the guy who came up with different much simpler ( per his claims) of a knot for using the WE or Jim Stepps?
I will try to find it once home tomorrow and link it here
I saw him use the knot and It did look considerably simpler to use than the standard knot suggested by the steps inventor.
I currently own 24 of the original Stepps bought directly from thier inventor 5-6 years ago when I thought public land was going to be my only option but was able to find private land each year since so I never really put them to use as I much prefer screw in steps
But I in the not to distant future I will have more off time to travel farther from home to hunt both private and public grounds in and out of my home state and more and more LO are not allowing screw in steps like my one LO this year did not but the other did.

Last edited:
Greatest of thanks for the replies thus far. I own 8 32" OLW sticks, 24 OJS's a Centipede ladder, treehopper bolts and SIS. With SIS being my all time favorite climbing method and are always on the look out for a better faster way to get 20' up a tree.
Before anyone suggests 1 sticking or 1S and repelling after watching EVERY video I can find on 1S-ing & repelling I feel it is most definitely not for me as I have shoulder issues that make 1-sing and me incompatible.

I was considering SOS but as I already own 24 Jim Stepps I have never really used I should at least use and become proficient with them to determine if they are for me before I spend any more $$$ on a system I won't know if I like until I buy and use it a considerable amount.

I feel one of the mistakes many hunters who like me prefer to if at all humanly possible hunt elevated from a tree make is to buy a climbing system and decide against it without first investing the time and effort to get proficient with using it. IMO a case of allowing instant gratification to have to much influence on one's decision making process.

I feel one of the mistakes many hunters who like me prefer to if at all humanly possible hunt elevated from a tree make is to buy a climbing system and decide against it without first investing the time and effort to get proficient with using it. IMO a case of allowing instant gratification to have to much influence on one's decision making process.

Guilty here!! I am really trying to put the WEI stepps to a fair trial before I say yay or nay for my climbing method.

Guilty here!! I am really trying to put the WEI stepps to a fair trial before I say yay or nay for my climbing method.
You sir echoed my thoughts and beliefs literally word for word.
As I stated about 5-6 maybe 7 years ago I bought 24 of the Jim Stepps. The first time I tried them out I struggled more than I expected to use them as when I tried out my LW sticks and Centipede ladder I had no real difficulty using either, and if you have a difficult time using screw in steps correctly IMO you shouldn't be deer hunting let alone climbing 15'-20+' up into a tree and for what ever reason I figured the Stepps would be no different and go up with little to no learning curve.

As a result they have sat unused in my basement since that single attempt to use. Now several years later I realized of all the treestands and tree climbing systems I have ever used all were of a design that was very simple and easy to use and I my decision to leave the Stepps remain unused was to be honest and blunt me allowing myself to be lazy.

Now that I have purchased a JX3 G2 I fully realize and accept there is going to be a learning curve to some degree be it small to possibly very large and I have accepted as fact I will most likely need 5-10 1-3hr sessions hanging from a tree just above ground level just to literally master how to set it up and use it before attempting to use it at hunting height. Once I have mastered set up and use only then can I consider advancing to learning how to use it and shoot from it at actual hunting height. As the closest place I can practice with it and shoot a bow from it is 90 minuets from my house most practice sessions will need to be at least 1/2 day long ones to make the drive worth while.

As I plan on using SCTS, LWS, and Stepps to see which works best while using the JX3 as well as a ROS. As such I fully acknowledge I have a lot to learn and then master same. Unlike all my other stands I mastering the JX3 G2 will take considerably longer and I will have to keep in mind this is only the third treestand system I have tried to master and use in my life and the first new one since I started using ladder stands 10-12 years ago and I mastered ladder stand transportation, installation and use in less than 5 or 6 dry runs.
I fully accept the JX3 G2 or any saddle for that matter will require much more time and effort to master than any other traditional hang on or ladder stand I owned or used.

Last edited:
I've had WE Steps for 2seasons now. Like them better every time out. Gets a little easier every time.

Do you find the Wei stepps harder to stay taught when using the same tree, that has been what I am struggling with practicing on them.

If I have a new tree they cam over rock solid though, which isn't a big deal as I dont hunt same spot everytime.

agree with the learning curve thing with WE Steps... i bought the 5 pack and use the K/S method... was ready to move on to another climbing method and was out scouting one day in the spring and gave em one more try... for some reason, it had clicked... i climbed fairly quickly, quietly, and got the correct tension on the rope every time... even tried using an addition step in comvination with my platform to slowly work the long way around to the weakside shot...LOVED that approach... i cant slowly(and under control) get all the way to about the 4 oclock shot while keeping the tree btwn me an where the shot is.... not closed off to other methods... one sticking as well as just using 3... but WE steps are now my go to

Do you find the Wei stepps harder to stay taught when using the same tree, that has been what I am struggling with practicing on them.

If I have a new tree they cam over rock solid though, which isn't a big deal as I dont hunt same spot everytime.
I have noticed a little bit of what you're talking about. If you've been in the same tree enough, the bark gets chipped away until you're down to the wood. You can either relocate the steps to new bark or just put them in the same spot and with a little extra tightness I can get them to hold. In a way, the little"dimples" you create almost help eliminate any slippage of the step. They act like little "footholds" for the step.

Wildedge stepps all day! Bullman steps would kick out if you had any side pressure while climbing. Wildedge stepps once you cam over tight they are not going anywhere , and you can put two feet on a step if you need to, as well as use a step above you for handle to help pull yourself up to the next step which would give you 3 point contact in addition to the linemans belt . As far as compact carrying setup, a WEI steps were about the same. If your carrying 2 bullman step bags that's twice the amount , when you could carry one bag! Also for weight limits bullman says 275# WEI. said challenge accepted and has had Andrew the owner sitting on a four wheeler while hanging off a stepp in the air. can't beat that! Bullman you can take out the box and strap to a tree so super simple . WEI you have a slight learning curve to get the cam over and rope tight. I think they both have there place in saddle hunting!

The Bullman's can handle all the side pressure you can give them once you replace the original straps with OCB style straps from DanO.

I can echo the praise for the WE steps, I used to have them with me frequently...but I have recently found myself using the Beast Sticks more. There are few things as package as a set of WE steps. Minimal, light, and effective....anyway - if anyone has an interest in 8 WE + bag PM me.

I have not hunted out of the WE Stepps, as I have not had them long. I have been practicing climbing with them though and have settled on using the Chris Cain method of climbing.
I love it, as I only need a single rope and don't need to worry about going around limbs on the way up. I did make a couple modifications in that I use a knaider for the first step up, so I don't have to put my foot against the tree and risk it slipping, and I just use the shortened bridge on my saddle with an extra carabiner to attach to the Stepps on the way up. I get a little over 3'/Stepp plus my EWO stick with a Scout platform and/or the Silent Approach ROS, depending on the size of the tree. Once I get my platform/ROS set up I am clipped to my top Stepp and simply attach the rope I used to climb as my tether. I hope that makes sense. Again, I have not hunted, only practiced this system. I need a lot more practice getting the ropes secured more efficiently on the Stepps.

I have not hunted out of the WE Stepps, as I have not had them long. I have been practicing climbing with them though and have settled on using the Chris Cain method of climbing.
I love it, as I only need a single rope and don't need to worry about going around limbs on the way up. I did make a couple modifications in that I use a knaider for the first step up, so I don't have to put my foot against the tree and risk it slipping, and I just use the shortened bridge on my saddle with an extra carabiner to attach to the Stepps on the way up. I get a little over 3'/Stepp plus my EWO stick with a Scout platform and/or the Silent Approach ROS, depending on the size of the tree. Once I get my platform/ROS set up I am clipped to my top Stepp and simply attach the rope I used to climb as my tether. I hope that makes sense. Again, I have not hunted, only practiced this system. I need a lot more practice getting the ropes secured more efficiently on the Stepps.

It is a good method, but I am not as fit nor flexible as I use to be, so I just buy more steps as to be safer than lighter! My objective is to hunt and get home safely so I can hunt more often!

Back