• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cain Method Question for wild edge steps

sworrior

I tried this, works great! I get about 7 feet per 2 steps so 6 steps are right at 21 feet. My question is how do you get into your top step gracefully? I like the wild edge but honestly I get sick of attatching more steps than I need. Id like to get my FEET above 21 with out having to add an extra step. Any ideas? Thanks!

I don't really like the knaider swaider combo because I mess around at the base of the tree too long. One benefit of not using the saddle and just my LW hand climber is that I can just walk to the tree strap on and go! But then I'm not using the saddle.

Im yet to find the perfect system to use the saddle, get high (almost always shoot for 25 feet), stay light, and get around limbs without using an extra linemans belt.

Thanks everyone!

I tried this, works great! I get about 7 feet per 2 steps so 6 steps are right at 21 feet. My question is how do you get into your top step gracefully? I like the wild edge but honestly I get sick of attatching more steps than I need. Id like to get my FEET above 21 with out having to add an extra step. Any ideas? Thanks!

I don't really like the knaider swaider combo because I mess around at the base of the tree too long. One benefit of not using the saddle and just my LW hand climber is that I can just walk to the tree strap on and go! But then I'm not using the saddle.

Im yet to find the perfect system to use the saddle, get high (almost always shoot for 25 feet), stay light, and get around limbs without using an extra linemans belt.

Thanks everyone!
Not sure if it is graceful, but I would go ahead and put my tether around the tree above the top step, and then use it to pull myself up. I started adding an extra step because I like having a step a waist level when I am hunting. Gives me a spot to stuff my gloves when adding clothes, holds a pee bottle while you are doing your business, and a few other things.

I would say to put a permanent aider on your top step either with webbing using water knots or amsteel. I have found that an aider on steps is much less stable as it is on sticks, so I would recommend to tether to the tree and safety off before stepping into the aider. I would also suggest to get your last step rock solid on the tree. Glad you like the method. Be safe

I would say to put a permanent aider on your top step either with webbing using water knots or amsteel. I have found that an aider on steps is much less stable as it is on sticks, so I would recommend to tether to the tree and safety off before stepping into the aider. I would also suggest to get your last step rock solid on the tree. Glad you like the method. Be safe
Love it. Thanks for the advice!

Here's a link. Still my preferred method for the WE Stepps. To clarify, you don't really need to jump up like Cain does. Once tethered above the next step if you just push away from the tree with one leg it will swing you up to where you can easily grab the top Stepp and get your foot on the next one.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/how-i-use-the-wild-edge-stepps.5111/
Thanks for the link. I'm going to have to think about that one. It's a good climbing method. You lose a little distance per step, but it seems a little more solid than the knaider/swaider method, which I use now. Might be a safer option on wet or icy trees.

loving this climbing method!!...i got to about 27 feet last weekend with 6 steps. Loving only needing 1 rope, and 1 ropeman.
I do have one question, for those that have tried this method, how does it work on rainy or snowy days when the tree may be wet. I haven't tried it yet, but in my head i keep thinking my foot will slip. Any experiences with that?

No experience with WE, but if you like the hand climber, why don’t you just use the hand climber top with Adrena mod?

loving this climbing method!!...i got to about 27 feet last weekend with 6 steps. Loving only needing 1 rope, and 1 ropeman.
I do have one question, for those that have tried this method, how does it work on rainy or snowy days when the tree may be wet. I haven't tried it yet, but in my head i keep thinking my foot will slip. Any experiences with that?
I've done this in the snow and the rain. Using the "modified" method most of your weight is in the saddle so there's only a little pressure on the slippery boot. It hasn't been a problem for me.

I use a modified version of the Cain method that works great with wet trees. I swapped the vertical lineman’s rope back to regular lineman’s rope and added a carabiner to the waist belt on my saddle. I clip the extra carabiner to the step when I need to move the regular lineman’s rope around a limb. This gives me more leverage and helps with wet trees.

Back