• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

California Blacktails.

IrishWhiskey556

Okay so I have scouted out my zone and found an area with lots of deer and deer sign, already saw a few bucks and plan to put trail cameras up. I normally hunt the more traditional western spot and stalk style utilizing glassing from above tree line. However my unit this year and where I am finding deer does not lend itself to that. I have quickly realized a saddle is my best option. The trouble I'm having is choosing a climbing method. I will be backpacking in about 6 miles so weight is a concern. I have a background in rock climbing So at 1st the most attractive method to me is the drt climbing method. However the trees in that area don't seem like that would be a safe option with how the limbs are. My other thought is to try the double Tether climbing method. This will be my 1st time Hunting from a saddle So any suggestions are welcome what are your thoughts? I attached pictures to show the trees I'm dealing with20210626_095740.jpg20210626_085126.jpg

Didn't think there were any saddle hunters out here in CA although I see a few on the map. Lots of discouraging words re terrain, swirling winds, etc. Am first time CA hunter and just starting with the saddle. Tetherd Phantom, Predator platform with Muddy stagger steps. Plan is to use them in WIS for whitetails in November but got a D3-5 Zone tag to try things here this year. Also trying to buy a rifle but have a cross bow if availability doesn't improve in the stores. AM curious what your Zone is? Also trying to find others interested in partnering up but that is problematic since hunting is such a trust and knowing activity. BTW what is "drt" method? I assume "double tether" is for circumnavigating branches? Will be interested in your solutions.

Didn't think there were any saddle hunters out here in CA although I see a few on the map. Lots of discouraging words re terrain, swirling winds, etc. Am first time CA hunter and just starting with the saddle. Tetherd Phantom, Predator platform with Muddy stagger steps. Plan is to use them in WIS for whitetails in November but got a D3-5 Zone tag to try things here this year. Also trying to buy a rifle but have a cross bow if availability doesn't improve in the stores. AM curious what your Zone is? Also trying to find others interested in partnering up but that is problematic since hunting is such a trust and knowing activity. BTW what is "drt" method? I assume "double tether" is for circumnavigating branches? Will be interested in your solutions.
It will be my first time in the saddle. I know of a few people who use tree stands though. Especially once you get further north. B zone a lot of guys will use stands.

So I picked up the AO tag which is archery only, but let's you hun A,B and all D zones starting in archery and all throughout general. D3-5 is very difficult hunting. I live in the Sacramento area and have hunted it a few times. D5 has the most success but also the most hunters. D4 would be a good tree stand option. Especially closer to forest hill.

Oh and DRT is double rope method. Often used by tree trimmers. You use a rope to climb up. If you look it up on YouTube you will find it quick.

What makes D3-5 "very difficult" to hunt? I have heard it gets crowded. If a place is good for tree stands it should be great for the mobile one saddle hunting affords you.

What makes D3-5 "very difficult" to hunt? I have heard it gets crowded. If a place is good for tree stands it should be great for the mobile one saddle hunting affords you.
D3-5 has a really bad buck to doe ratio, the true hunter success rate is about 5% California fish and game claims it 10% because they assume they have a lot of poached and/or unreported deer harvesting. The area has really high predator numbers too lots of big cats ,cyoto's, and bears.

Is the climbing method you feel comfortable with. As far as trees it looks like great cover. You prob don’t have to climb high to be successful. Use that tree cover/canopy to hind in

Being a rock climber, Double Rope Technique (DRT), Single Rope Technique (SRT) and 2 tether (2TC) will be most familiar to you. Since you've already mentioned the lack of lower load bearing limbs, 2TC is probably the best. The principal concept behind 2TC is that the tree trunk is your climbing rope and your tether and foot loop climbs the "rope". This is my #2 method behind SRT but there is no such thing as the perfect climbing method.

When dealing with numerous branches, 2TC would be my last choice. In those cases, climbing sticks would be preferential. However, since you mentioned hiking for miles and assuming you're packing out the meat, sticks will be just another item to carry.

If you have aspen, ash or oak, you'll probably find a tree you can 2TC, SRT or DRT. If all you're hunting however is evergreen, you may need some lightweight sticks.

I want to hunt Blacktails!!!! You are so blessed. I remember watching a video when Cam Haynes was affiliated more with either Bowhunter Magazine or Eastman's Outdoor Journal and he started hunting big blacktail bucks like us easterners do for whitetails. Probably was 10-15 years ago maybe now but he took a summit climber in to an area with heavy sign and shot a beauty of a BT buck out of it. The forest density was so cool I need to get out there someday and hunt them.

I want to hunt Blacktails!!!! You are so blessed. I remember watching a video when Cam Haynes was affiliated more with either Bowhunter Magazine or Eastman's Outdoor Journal and he started hunting big blacktail bucks like us easterners do for whitetails. Probably was 10-15 years ago maybe now but he took a summit climber in to an area with heavy sign and shot a beauty of a BT buck out of it. The forest density was so cool I need to get out there someday and hunt them.
I normally chase after Mulies, I have yet to harvest a black tail and it's been a goal of mine for more then a decade, but high country mule deer just kept calling my name. My wife and I will be moving out of California in two years and headed to Colorado for her to finish school and then we are going to move to Montana. So because of this I have made it my goal to shoot a good example of a blacktail before I leave California and don't have a chance to hunt them anymore. California isn't actually to bad for none resident hunters when it comes to license cost. However you do get much better deer numbers in Oregon usually.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I normally chase after Mulies, I have yet to harvest a black tail and it's been a goal of mine for more then a decade, but high country mule deer just kept calling my name. My wife and I will be moving out of California in two years and headed to Colorado for her to finish school and then we are going to move to Montana. So because of this I have made it my goal to shoot a good example of a blacktail before I leave California and don't have a chance to hunt them anymore. California isn't actually to bad for none resident hunters when it comes to license cost. However you do get much better deer numbers in Oregon usually.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I do have relatives in Eugene and Keizer OR. I will exploit them someday to hunt some BT's. I want to hunt them like I do for whitetails here though.

So I picked up the AO tag which is archery only, but let's you hun A,B and all D zones starting in archery and all throughout general. D3-5 is very difficult hunting. I live in the Sacramento area and have hunted it a few times. D5 has the most success but also the most hunters. D4 would be a good tree stand option. Especially closer to forest hill.

Oh and DRT is double rope method. Often used by tree trimmers. You use a rope to climb up. If you look it up on YouTube you will find it quick.
I am from the Sacramento area (Houston, Tx now). Used to work for Raley's DC. Where abouts in Sactown do you live? We lived in North Highlands and Citrus Heights for a spell.

Back