• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam Cleats/One Sticking - Heavy Person

mn_booner

Anyone here one stick with a cam cleat on a stick who weighs around 260lbs? I see videos of guys using climbing sticks with cam cleats who look to be in better shape/smaller so was just wondering if any heavier guys have tried this out?

I' 6'2" and close to 250. Just starting to work on the one sticking process. Have only done a few minor test moves, but I'm gonna give it a go. I just built a stick for one sticking with the CAM cleat. In my basic tests so far, it is working.

Where did you install the cam cleat on the stick? Like if you have a 20" stick, how far from the bottom did you place the cam cleat?

Twice this year. 260+. I have Helium sticks I cut down and added a 500lb cam cleat to, climbing with 6mm accessory cord rated to a few thousand lbs. I use 40ft of Samson Ultra-Tech as my line, and rappel with a madrock safeguard.

I have experienced 3 learning opportunities so far.
1. Get kneepads. hoo boy.
2. Rotating around a tree that has an obstacle that prevents you climbing up just 1 side of it is not as easy as going straight up.
3. Suddenly slowing down when you're rappelling can bruise your hips as the straps on your saddle pull tight. Ow. Be careful.

Where did you install the cam cleat on the stick? Like if you have a 20" stick, how far from the bottom did you place the cam cleat?

Just a little above where the original stick mounting bracket was. 2/3 to 3/4 up the stick from the bottom, in my case.

Twice this year. 260+. I have Helium sticks I cut down and added a 500lb cam cleat to, climbing with 6mm accessory cord rated to a few thousand lbs. I use 40ft of Samson Ultra-Tech as my line, and rappel with a madrock safeguard.

I have experienced 3 learning opportunities so far.
1. Get kneepads. hoo boy.
2. Rotating around a tree that has an obstacle that prevents you climbing up just 1 side of it is not as easy as going straight up.
3. Suddenly slowing down when you're rappelling can bruise your hips as the straps on your saddle pull tight. Ow. Be careful.

I have kneepads, GriGri, hollow block, and 40ft of canyon rope.

I just bought a Harken 150 cleat from a member on here. What cam cleat did you use that holds 500lbs?

I’m sitting around 200 # currently...(previously 315#) and I use the Shaffer cleat and have not had a single issue... I buy them on eBay... rated for 300#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have kneepads, GriGri, hollow block, and 40ft of canyon rope.

I just bought a Harken 150 cleat from a member on here. What cam cleat did you use that holds 500lbs?

Schaefer Fast Entry Cam Cleat for Line Sizes Upto 5/8-Inch, 16mm, Aluminum
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2LOM1M/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QAjKFbG2RNNJ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That's an OOAL angled scout platform on the top, and a custom aider I created from tethrd mini versa straps on the bottom. It's got 3 steps but I'm going to shorten it to 2.

Attachments

• 2020 one-stick (Medium).jpg
    2020 one-stick (Medium).jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 127
Schaefer Fast Entry Cam Cleat for Line Sizes Upto 5/8-Inch, 16mm, Aluminum
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2LOM1M/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_QAjKFbG2RNNJ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That's an OOAL angled scout platform on the top, and a custom aider I created from tethrd mini versa straps on the bottom. It's got 3 steps but I'm going to shorten it to 2.

That's a good looking setup. I am tossing around just trying the Harken cleat but it kind of is a safety concern coming so close to the 300lb working limit. I doubt the cam cleat manufacturers intend for these to be used this way. I could probably resell the Harken on here and just buy that Schafer cleat though. I do have some Sterling 6mm TRC I planned on using, so that would still work with the Schafer cleat I believe.

6’4 270 in the buff. I use the 150 and it has been solid. It even works as my platform with the scout on top. I use 6mm TRC. When I set it as platform I go around tree twice to keep it super tight.
bd7a90aa649bebbb819dc927c9fe2a32.jpg

55cebfe05d05ddf53a9ddf85f9cdf135.jpg

6’4 270 in the buff. I use the 150 and it has been solid. It even works as my platform with the scout on top. I use 6mm TRC. When I set it as platform I go around tree twice to keep it super tight.
bd7a90aa649bebbb819dc927c9fe2a32.jpg

55cebfe05d05ddf53a9ddf85f9cdf135.jpg

I am 260 in the buff but wouldn't surprise if I am close to 280-290 with all my gear. I will give the Harken 150 a go, good news is one sticking I am always tied to the tree so I don't think hurt too bad if it ever does fail lol.

I am 260 in the buff but wouldn't surprise if I am close to 280-290 with all my gear. I will give the Harken 150 a go, good news is one sticking I am always tied to the tree so I don't think hurt too bad if it ever does fail lol.
Yes always tied in and I always bring a second tether with me. First thing that comes out at height is the backup tether. It also comes in handy in the rain since my Canyon and Safeguard get a little jammy when wet. I will store them away to prevent the moisture.

Yes always tied in and I always bring a second tether with me. First thing that comes out at height is the backup tether. It also comes in handy in the rain since my Canyon and Safeguard get a little jammy when wet. I will store them away to prevent the moisture.

I am actually going to use two WE steps at height as my platform. Do you use the backup tether since you are hunting off of this stick?

I am actually going to use two WE steps at height as my platform. Do you use the backup tether since you are hunting off of this stick?
I just use it because I'm 20+ feet off the ground and stuff happens. Can't prevent everything from failure but that one maybe.

As I said, I’m still testing, so this is my “beta” stick. I am experimenting with something a little different. I’m not drilling any new holes in my stick and I am leaving the versa button in tact and using it to take a lot of load off the cam cleat. I am using the Harken Micro Cam cleat for this stick (200lb rated, 400lb break strength). Interestingly, using the Harken Micro cam cleat, it lines up with the existing slots on the Hawk. So I oriented the cam up and down vs sideways. It mounts perfect. This allows me to bring the rope around the tree, wrap it around the versa button then down into the cleat. It can’t be holding much weight. It locks secure, is easy to disconnect and leaves the original integrity of the stick in tact. This allows the versa button to remain and be used if needed. At the top of the climb, I will tie the rope off to Secure the stick for the sit.

0C159ADB-2EC1-4359-98AE-2CECF8879C2F.jpeg
I don’t think it needed it, but I added nylon spacers in the channel on the sides of the stick where the screws run through to make sure when the screws are tightened, the aluminum does not dent or pull in. My initial tests I didn’t have the nylon and it did fine. Just decided to add the nylon for improved rigidity.
7595A994-F88F-4E20-B632-FBBD54E5DE9D.jpeg
Again, I am just testing this concept. Disclaimer, I do not recommend anyone do what I do, do what you know to be safe.

As I said, I’m still testing, so this is my “beta” stick. I am experimenting with something a little different. I’m not drilling any new holes in my stick and I am leaving the versa button in tact and using it to take a lot of load off the cam cleat. I am using the Harken Micro Cam cleat for this stick (200lb rated, 400lb break strength). Interestingly, using the Harken Micro cam cleat, it lines up with the existing slots on the Hawk. So I oriented the cam up and down vs sideways. It mounts perfect. This allows me to bring the rope around the tree, wrap it around the versa button then down into the cleat. It can’t be holding much weight. It locks secure, is easy to disconnect and leaves the original integrity of the stick in tact. This allows the versa button to remain and be used if needed. At the top of the climb, I will tie the rope off to Secure the stick for the sit.

View attachment 37545
I don’t think it needed it, but I added nylon spacers in the channel on the sides of the stick where the screws run through to make sure when the screws are tightened, the aluminum does not dent or pull in. My initial tests I didn’t have the nylon and it did fine. Just decided to add the nylon for improved rigidity.
View attachment 37546
Again, I am just testing this concept. Disclaimer, I do not recommend anyone do what I do, do what you know to be safe.
You find any trouble running this?

I never had a problem with this cam cleat and connection. I actually think it’s better. I am 6’2” 245lbs. I still have the stick but am currently using an EWO stick with the Ultimate platform.

I also use the Schaefer up to 1/4” cleat. It works great with my 3/16 or 1/4” amsteel cords(not full buried). That being said, it is the smallest one I’d recommend and one a little bigger would be my next purchase if I got more. Be careful when buying these as a cheaper one may be built for kayaks and paracord…….I almost got the wrong ones.

View attachment 37545
View attachment 37546

I really like your use of the cam cleat as it puts the pull "in line". Everyone talks about the "ratings" of the cleats but they are designed essentially to hold sailing lines "in line" and I doubt they have been tested for shear strength, which is how we use them. Are you still doing it this way?

Back