• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam Climber

Plebe

SH Member
Well, sorta...

I’ve just begun my build of a climber-saddle hunting platform that will perform better than the LWHC method for me (I hope). Essentially, it’s a climber with some cam action for stability.

I cut down a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb platform. I still need to grind the cut ends smooth but am considering taking one more row off...although I’m hesitant as I don’t necessarily want to cut too close to the cable arm bolts and, as well, for about an extra 1lb the platform is quite a generous size for Bigfoots like me.

To the trimmed stand platform I added a post with a batwing standoff and versa button.

First impressions:

The platform seems much more rigid on its own than the LWHC does under MY weight. Is it safe...will it fail...I can’t say. I think failure is always possible, but I’m optimistic about how rigid it feels. Requires cautious testing.

The cam action works, but isn’t ideal. I started with a longer post and it cammed awesome with the batwing up high and the versa down low. The leverage produced was quite nice. BUT, it reduced the space between the cable system’s cross brace and the tree, which makes climbing potentially noisier and more cumbersome, particularly on large trees. Also, the post wouldn’t fold flat, though the former issue is what led to more design trials.

So I cut the post down. The now cut down post will still grab pretty nicely when the stand is cammed, which surprised me. It will as well allow for post rotation under the cross brace for stowage.

However, the short distance between the versa button and post creates an issue. It causes the strap to, in some instances, contact the teeth of the batwing. I’m reliant on my tether and the platform’s cable to support my weight, NOT the post, which is meant for added stability, so it’s maybe not the end of the world...but I’d like to eliminate that contact. The strap could become compromised.

As well, moving the versa button to as low a position as seemed sound means the button prevents completely flat stowage due to contact with the platform. Perhaps a T shaped Versa bolt (like used by LWCG) will allow for that to happen. Also, I wonder if a cross bolted versa system would help eliminate strap to batwing contact as well as certainly resolving the stowage problem.

Anyway...it’s been one day and I’m not nearly through with this project, but I’m satisfied that the concept has great potential for my hunting scenario.

Starting from scratch it’d be easier to resolve some performance issues...if only we had the means, right?

This isn’t meant to be a “minimalist” system per say, nor to work universally...but it does provide bulk and weight reduction in a still very accommodating system compared to traditional climbers and even some other saddle hunting approaches.

With a little extra material in the right places I could see something like the mission, which seems well liked right now, making a nice climbing/saddle platform.

Cheers, Scott

0EA9B4AD-9FB5-4A04-8FD0-FCAC9F26B73F.jpeg9807849A-7D85-45D5-86CF-3A644BE67786.jpeg

Last edited:
I like using my LW sit-n-climb top and the LWHC for the platform. At hunting height I 'rotate' the sit-n-climb top to the back side of the tree out of the way. Both platforms together Weigh 10 lbs - not bad for climbing method and platform....I found climbing with just the saddle and LWHC not as easy or as quiet as I would like - with the sit-n-climb I can control the LWHC much better and therefore much quieter and with less energy expended.

Never thought of having a 'cam post' mounted for once you get to hunting height....Like the idea though....Keep us informed on where you go with this....

I like using my LW sit-n-climb top and the LWHC for the platform. At hunting height I 'rotate' the sit-n-climb top to the back side of the tree out of the way. Both platforms together Weigh 10 lbs - not bad for climbing method and platform....I found climbing with just the saddle and LWHC not as easy or as quiet as I would like - with the sit-n-climb I can control the LWHC much better and therefore much quieter and with less energy expended.

Never thought of having a 'cam post' mounted for once you get to hunting height....Like the idea though....Keep us informed on where you go with this....

Interesting approach. Honestly, I had planned to use the LWHC seat method this year for a spot I hunt. I bought the whole kit, as a $300ish treestand seemed economically a better value than a $150 seat (ironically there is/was an Assault climber for sale for like $270 in the classifieds...wish I waited). I thought I might end up liking the Assault climber base and the Sit and Climb seat as a hunting option, if the LWHC seat as a platform was a bust.

Then I did unofficial weights and measures on the LW climbing line that I have.

I got the Sit and Climb top at about 7lbs and the Assault hand climber seat at 4lbs. That's me on a digital scale with and without object, so not scientific.

The Assault HC base weighed about 10lbs. The Sit and Climb base was roughly 11.6lbs.

Cut down my platform was around 9.4lbs. I'd have to check again, but I think my final (thus far) weight is 10.8lbs.

I think the bigger platform and crossbar of my build may benefit me for climbing tether style. For certain, I was not comfortable on the LWHC seat...not because of size but dang that thing was flexing under me. I know it works great for others and hey, 4lbs is a phenomenal weight for a climbing method and platform.

Interesting approach. Honestly, I had planned to use the LWHC seat method this year for a spot I hunt. I bought the whole kit, as a $300ish treestand seemed economically a better value than a $150 seat (ironically there is/was an Assault climber for sale for like $270 in the classifieds...wish I waited). I thought I might end up liking the Assault climber base and the Sit and Climb seat as a hunting option, if the LWHC seat as a platform was a bust.

Then I did unofficial weights and measures on the LW climbing line that I have.

I got the Sit and Climb top at about 7lbs and the Assault hand climber seat at 4lbs. That's me on a digital scale with and without object, so not scientific.

The Assault HC base weighed about 10lbs. The Sit and Climb base was roughly 11.6lbs.

Cut down my platform was around 9.4lbs. I'd have to check again, but I think my final (thus far) weight is 10.8lbs.

I think the bigger platform and crossbar of my build may benefit me for climbing tether style. For certain, I was not comfortable on the LWHC seat...not because of size but dang that thing was flexing under me. I know it works great for others and hey, 4lbs is a phenomenal weight for a climbing method and platform.

My digital scale weighed the LWHC, LW sit-n-climb top(not the wide), foot straps and carrying straps at just over 10 lbs....Its a very compact combination and I could do a scout as you go and setup when you find the right sign kind of hunt with no problem...Also will not take up much room in my canoe if I'm doing a hunt using that to access an area. These types of situations are what I'll be using my saddle for primarily...

I know what you mean about the flex of the LWHC - some method of strapping - or camming over in your situation - it tight at hunting height will help that but not eliminate it so its something you have to get accustomed to.

One thing I wonder about is how do you do the cam over at hunting height? Are you able to stand on the platform and just cam over or do you have to hang from the saddle and do the cam over? Same question for end of hunt - how do you release it?

Everyone has their own comfort level and should not use a platform if not confident in it.

Having said that, I use the LWHC to climb and as my platform at hunting height. I don’t strap it down when I’m hunting, either. I absolutely think the ‘flex’ and the climbing band having some ‘give’ are factors in making it dead quiet. I shift my weight, move my feet, stand up, sit down, move to the edge and never hear any sound.

Another benefit to not strapping it down is I can make slight adjustments in the platform position with my feet at any time during the hunt.
Sun in my eyes- move platform
Wind changes- move platform
Deer coming from wrong direction-you get the idea.

I’m not saying it’s right for everyone, but I will never strap mine down while hunting.

Of course, I have the platform tethered to my saddle at all times so it can’t fall down the tree. Even if it did, I would just rappel down to where it stopped and climb back up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My digital scale weighed the LWHC, LW sit-n-climb top(not the wide), foot straps and carrying straps at just over 10 lbs....Its a very compact combination and I could do a scout as you go and setup when you find the right sign kind of hunt with no problem...Also will not take up much room in my canoe if I'm doing a hunt using that to access an area. These types of situations are what I'll be using my saddle for primarily...

I know what you mean about the flex of the LWHC - some method of strapping - or camming over in your situation - it tight at hunting height will help that but not eliminate it so its something you have to get accustomed to.

One thing I wonder about is how do you do the cam over at hunting height? Are you able to stand on the platform and just cam over or do you have to hang from the saddle and do the cam over? Same question for end of hunt - how do you release it?

I weighed the Sit and Climb top with a seat, since you are saddle hunting you may have removed the seat so that would make up the difference...or my scale and the way I weighed it being unscientific. Neither here nor there, it's certainly easy to climb stuff using the Sit and Climb, from my experience. Haven't thought of or heard of anyone doing it your way, but it's a smart method and simple.

For camming my platform, I just unweight the platform by sitting into my saddle, and do the toe method of lifting up on the end of the platform with my boot tip, letting the stand settle, and stepping down. Works really good. Honestly, it's harder to get the strap on than to get a solid cam. For that I'm lowering to a squat as the post is so low. Taking a knee works too.

It's frankly much more difficult to uncam than it is to cam. So far, I just squat down, suspend from the saddle either straddling or to the side of the tree, pull up on the stand to let off cam pressure and release the cam buckle. At this point I've been able to either step back up onto the stand as is or to lower the stand until I can just step on. This could use some perfecting. Maybe I'll try girth hitching an aider to give a foothold when needed and make things easier. IDK. One thing that can happen when uncamming that isn't ideal is the cam strap and cam belt can end up overlapping when you release cam pressure. Just an element of fiddle factor to be aware of and deal with or resolve.

One thing I know I'll be doing is adding foot loops to the platform, closer to the front. It's just easier to climb with feet further away from the tree when using a saddle and I got the real estate.

Again, I just built this yesterday so I haven't tried a bunch of scenarios. Thus far I'm liking the hunting aspect better and better. But sure, it's not as easy as using a ladder stand and there are some things to work out yet.

Everyone has their own comfort level and should not use a platform if not confident in it.

Having said that, I use the LWHC to climb and as my platform at hunting height. I don’t strap it down when I’m hunting, either. I absolutely think the ‘flex’ and the climbing band having some ‘give’ are factors in making it dead quiet. I shift my weight, move my feet, stand up, sit down, move to the edge and never hear any sound.

Another benefit to not strapping it down is I can make slight adjustments in the platform position with my feet at any time during the hunt.

I’m not saying it’s right for everyone, but I will never strap mine down while hunting.

Of course, I have the platform tethered to my saddle at all times so it can’t fall down the tree. Even if it did, I would just rappel down to where it stopped and climb back up.

Agree on all points based on my experience too. I also do not strap mine tight at height, but found that a semi-loose bungee gives extra insurance for keeping it put on the tree and doesn't hinder moving when desired and does not create noise. I use the bungee while climbing to help lock the stand to my ankles, so its there to use anyway for me. Also, do not be afraid to let it angle down quite a bit at height, it feels better for ankles and legs and the band can handle it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Sure, I've read numerous posts of guys using the LWHC that way and enjoying that maneuverability. And the weight and the bulk of the LWHC seat are practically ideal. It's a good system, and would be a better system with a purpose built platform that wasn't so flimsy underfoot, in my opinion.

On the up side, thus far, I like the rigidity and stability I'm getting from my build. It seems to handle side pressure and has a micro treestand sized platform, so I like what it presents for shot options and hunting comfort. Frankly, I enjoy the solid feel you get from the cam as well. But, It's also a design that can be improved on and I'm not suggesting it's the best concept for anyone, but it's something I'm trying.

And yes, you gotta have a system to not lose your platform. That's standard for climbing stand systems.

Last edited:
Agree on all points based on my experience too. I also do not strap mine tight at height, but found that a semi-loose bungee gives extra insurance for keeping it put on the tree and doesn't hinder moving when desired and does not create noise. I use the bungee while climbing to help lock the stand to my ankles, so its there to use anyway for me. Also, do not be afraid to let it angle down quite a bit at height, it feels better for ankles and legs and the band can handle it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I forgot about the angle. I also let the platform drop down about 30*. So comfortable

I started climbing n hunting with lwhc and tether this yr. i like it except my climbing is much slower than my climbers. Reading this thread, i just got an idea. Climb with TWO lwhc. Then flip one one on the backside of the tree and voalah...ring of (bigger) steps!

I was thinking that using two lwhc would also allow a place to sit n take a break from saddle if desired. Yes its like using a climber but allows for reduced bulk vs a normal climber as well as multiuse

With the LWCG .5, a small climbing style foot platform could be made to get a person to height and hang the stand, with a weight savings over the LWHC.

Even pairing a LWHC seat and the .5, its like 4 lbs + 6lbs....not so heavy.

Lots of interesting approaches.

Carrying a single component has its advantages though, all things considered. But it's good to weigh the pros and cons of every method and choose what you like, or, can afford in some cases.

I will try it. I have 2 top portions. Actually, using the assault climber with the saddle wouldn’t be much more metal. Will try some scenarios.

Back