• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam lean

CooterBrown

SH Member
What is the purpose of cam lean. Should you have cam lean? Where are the bow experts?

Cam lean helps with tuning,to align the bows powerstroke correctly. It shifts the string position left or right,whatever you need to get great arrow flight. Other bows use shims to move the cam left or right.

Some cam lean is acceptable if it’s working for you. For example a lean like ( / ) for a right hand shooter is not good. Cables pull on right side of cam during draw and create more lean at full draw. Center shot suffers and forces rest to be moved right to get proper flight. If lean is ( \ ) it is optimal as long as not over leaning. You get a vertical cam at full draw and string puts the center of the power stroke behind the arrow at spec center shot. Split yoke bows are inherently easier to clean up cam lean problems but with the right shims any bow cam lean can be virtually eliminated or brought into spec.
Causes can be from wrong shim spacing to a weak limb. If you’re having problems and have the tools and ability to do so. Tear it down and swap limbs from the right side to the left side and see if it helps. If it does time to start shimming unless you have yokes. Then you’ll twist left leg and untwist right leg to get a vertical cam at full draw. Single yoke bows can require both. Shim bottom and shim/yoke the top to clean up arrow flight.

Just tune the bow to shoot the properly spined arrows. Cam lean is what it is.

So its a left handed bow new Bear Legit. It has so much lean in the top and the bottom that if i measure my axle to axle on the left side it is 30 3/8" but on the right side it is exactly 30". Just trying to figure out if there is something going on with it.

So its a left handed bow new Bear Legit. It has so much lean in the top and the bottom that if i measure my axle to axle on the left side it is 30 3/8" but on the right side it is exactly 30". Just trying to figure out if there is something going on with it.

Is it shooting the proper spined arrows good through paper?

When you look down at the arrow from the top of the bow is the arrow facing \ , | , / ?

90% of the torque induced into the bow causing cam lean is the cable slide pulling the cables to the side for fletching clearance… or of course the shooters grip.

I know the cam is leaning / on the top and \ on the bottom when not drawn

That’s a lot of lean but it’s the right direction for a lefty. Is it shooting inside spec with correct spines arrows. I’ll take good lean over bad any day

I just looked. That’s a dual yoke bow. Fixing that cam lean is only couple minutes if you have a press but if it’s bareshafting in spec let it eat.

Lay an arrow on the shelf side of the cam. It should intersect the string at around the dloop. That will put the power stroke in line with the arrow. What are the specs of bow. Dw dl arrow spine

Lay an arrow on the shelf side of the cam. It should intersect the string at around the dloop. That will put the power stroke in line with the arrow. What are the specs of bow. Dw dl arrow spine
With the bow draw? 27.5dl 64 lbs but it claims to be 70. 350 spine

No at brace. Full draw it should run parallel to the string to ensure zero lean at draw. You are well within spine even if you shoot heavy point weight
Do you have a picture of the arrow on the cam because I'm having a hard time grasping it.

Back