• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam over step platform...

Oldnotdead

So guys I found a thread on this. I ordered my primal steps last night. The platform is s great idea but man scares me a bit. Heres why:
1. The wear I noticed at contact points
2. How very small the back contact points are ( narrow section near tree trunk)
3. no stop measure to keep plywood from sliding forward.
So what if you strengthen contact on foot "bar" by adding a strip of "angle iron" at that spot? This would not only strengthen that point BUT provide a stop from board being able to move forward.
also a flat bar at rear contact to avoid wear there and strengthen that pressure point. Both can be silenced with tape.
also if you use 2 smaller angles on either side you could run a long bar front to back down middle to strengthen entire board.

Thought?

Ive
So guys I found a thread on this. I ordered my primal steps last night. The platform is s great idea but man scares me a bit. Heres why:
1. The wear I noticed at contact points
2. How very small the back contact points are ( narrow section near tree trunk)
3. no stop measure to keep plywood from sliding forward.
So what if you strengthen contact on foot "bar" by adding a strip of "angle iron" at that spot? This would not only strengthen that point BUT provide a stop from board being able to move forward.
also a flat bar at rear contact to avoid wear there and strengthen that pressure point. Both can be silenced with tape.
also if you use 2 smaller angles on either side you could run a long bar front to back down middle to strengthen entire board.

Thought?
I’ve been using this platform exclusively and have had no issues. It does not slide at all, you would have to intentionally kick it out of the step when it’s laid flat. You can see the wear on mine with well over 50 hunts some all day long and hours and hours of practice. 3AC88B44-0CE9-424A-8FB4-186EA20632B5.jpeg

I have made several different platforms and this was the one I kept going back to. I had the same concerns and ended up gluing an additional piece of 1/4” ply to the center. Ended up moving it along but have missed it so much I have a brand new primal step waiting to be done.
7e9ec2ff1c5da4387514945c741e7b67.jpg

4e39c5e9bdef03b78eefe5415f4b24bc.jpg
ea03b9b6473343237740f3ec821705ae.jpg

Poor tree has taken a beating....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like the rest of the guys said, we all had those same concerns when we first built our platforms but none of them bore out. They just stay perfectly rock solid when your standing on them. Still use my original platform even though I’ve made a few more and I switched to srt. Carry along a step and my trusty piece of plywood for my platform. Never been a single issue.

Does this platform make a huge difference rather than standing on just the step itself? My plan was to just use a few steps at the same height to maneuver around

Does this platform make a huge difference rather than standing on just the step itself? My plan was to just use a few steps at the same height to maneuver around
Too me it’s a big difference. I can spin 180 on it, as well as push off the sides. And if your a leaner like me, the pressure on your feet is evenly distributed

Anyone have a 3D printer? Has to be a perfect material to use and print one out. Also what about using skateboard tape for extra grip on the wood?

Too me it’s a big difference. I can spin 180 on it, as well as push off the sides. And if your a leaner like me, the pressure on your feet is evenly distributed

+2 on this, I started by just using the top step on my stick then a couple steps...I know some folks swear by it but wasn’t comfortable for me. Adding the insert increased the comfort level 100 fold.

Of note, getting these super tight requires some practice. What I found was if I put the insert in and placed the step BELOW instead of even or above the strap, the insert will be sticking UP at an angle with only the top 2 posts contacting the tree. I would step on it and CAREFULLY add weight to it until it cammed over. This would keep it solid. Be careful to insure you aren’t bending the posts...practice at ground level until you figure out what works. Some folks seem to have success doing the normal way but I’m “a bit husky” as they say and I couldn’t keep it from pulling away from the tree.

Anyone have a 3D printer? Has to be a perfect material to use and print one out. Also what about using skateboard tape for extra grip on the wood?
We have a 3D printer at work that prints in a kevlar matrix. It lays the kevlar down and layers it in some sort of plastic like matrix (not sure what the engineers call it). They built usable engine mount prototypes for a 2.5L "iron Duke" Chevy. Not sure how big it could print but that would surely work

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We have a 3D printer at work that prints in a kevlar matrix. It lays the kevlar down and layers it in some sort of plastic like matrix (not sure what the engineers call it). They built usable engine mount prototypes for a 2.5L "iron Duke" Chevy. Not sure how big it could print but that would surely work

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That sounds perfect. A Kevlar/plastic matrix sounds like it would last forever and be almost unbreakable. Would be cool to do a CAD design and make a platform and steps for that matter.

Skateboard tape would work well I would think. I purchased a surface traction tape for the top of mine which is essentially the same thing.

+2 on this, I started by just using the top step on my stick then a couple steps...I know some folks swear by it but wasn’t comfortable for me. Adding the insert increased the comfort level 100 fold.

Of note, getting these super tight requires some practice. What I found was if I put the insert in and placed the step BELOW instead of even or above the strap, the insert will be sticking UP at an angle with only the top 2 posts contacting the tree. I would step on it and CAREFULLY add weight to it until it cammed over. This would keep it solid. Be careful to insure you aren’t bending the posts...practice at ground level until you figure out what works. Some folks seem to have success doing the normal way but I’m “a bit husky” as they say and I couldn’t keep it from pulling away from the tree.

It does take a lot of practice and if it isn’t set up properly the step cam uncam without weight on it or pull away with weight on it. There are a lot of videos on how to properly set up these steps. Even after watching them it still takes quite a bit of practice to get everything just right and to be able to repeat that in any given circumstance. The issue I see with the way your setting up is that if you take your weight back off the step it most likely will uncam. Although you may not think this is an issue there will inevitably be a situation in the woods where you need to take your feet off the platform during hunting. If you set the step up correctly and get a good cam over it doesn’t matter how “husky” you are it will not pull away from the tree. If it does pull away it isn’t set up properly. When I first switched to this method I had seemingly endless hours of frustration getting the set up just right. Once you get it down though it’s almost automatic to set up.

Hey guys dang if I can't find that thread again and I need dimensions on that platform. Can you guys either post a link or give cut measurements. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It does take a lot of practice and if it isn’t set up properly the step cam uncam without weight on it or pull away with weight on it. There are a lot of videos on how to properly set up these steps. Even after watching them it still takes quite a bit of practice to get everything just right and to be able to repeat that in any given circumstance. The issue I see with the way your setting up is that if you take your weight back off the step it most likely will uncam. Although you may not think this is an issue there will inevitably be a situation in the woods where you need to take your feet off the platform during hunting. If you set the step up correctly and get a good cam over it doesn’t matter how “husky” you are it will not pull away from the tree. If it does pull away it isn’t set up properly. When I first switched to this method I had seemingly endless hours of frustration getting the set up just right. Once you get it down though it’s almost automatic to set up.

8619d9ce9cb7653b47923ebd3ce89f77.jpg

Agreed, not unlikely that in some situation it could be a problem. Where I’ve had the best experience is when set just slightly below the rope where everything remains in place when pressure is removed. Think the initial video I saw a year or so ago this is how the guy set his. Also goofed around trying see “how big” an insert could be. This size seems to be the max. Smaller works better, depending on foot size, and placing your weight as far in as possible works best.

Will mess with it some more and see but haven’t had an issue to date. The downside with the primal steps is you get what you pay for and have bent several several trying to get them “rock solid” for the insert....fortunately they straighten out pretty easily.

Have a couple with the strap still in place, looking to try it with a step on either side and see what happens. Going to have to get it rock solid for the steps to work...so more practice

Last edited:
Hadn’t tried it since I switched to amsteel...works fine just camming it over now...go figure.

Back