• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cam over vs seat style platform

jcam1841

I used my diy stand seat trans platform this past season and loved it. Just wondering is there a benefit to a cam over platform like the tethrd pred. Is it just the ability to us a lighter non ratchet strap with the cam over?

I used my diy stand seat trans platform this past season and loved it. Just wondering is there a benefit to a cam over platform like the tethrd pred. Is it just the ability to us a lighter non ratchet strap with the cam over?
I've had the XOP seat style that you cam over and I have an OOAL podium now. I like how the podium packs but I loved how simple it was to set the xop seat platform on the tree and get it secured.

I DIYed a platform that (2) straps to the tree, the benefits are it does not damage the tree at all and I use steps on the bottom strap which makes it easy to move slowly both sides. of tree.

18159-9eb13eb4e4ddb26da153b2cb37bc8f25.png18160-94cbd2708000ae91fff67592550567fb.png

Wrapped front edge with 550. And just use one ratchet strap. Just didn't know if I was missing out on something in a cam over

I know with practice you can achieve quietness using a ratchet strap but have you ever tried an OCB to cut down on a few oz. and be a little quieter? I only ask because I'm building a platform from scratch and not sure on how I want to secure it to the tree. I know a ratchet strap will do the trick but looking for a little less weight and something quieter (OCB).

I had the lonewolf seat, then went to podium and predator. I had to much flex in the seat converted to platform. My seat platform had Dano brackets. Locked well into tree.

I’m using 1/8” Amsteel daisy chain on my Predator, doesn’t get much quieter or lighter than that. Not sure if you can use it on a seat style platform.

Thanks gents! Just cut an additional 5 1/2" off the bottom of the main post. 10" total length feel like i'll still have plenty of material to get a good bite into the tree without kickout. Just want to experiment with different strap/rope options.

I have basically the same DIY platform as you made. Even with ratchet straps there was some movement. I did a cam over strap using the seat to do the cam. I put the cam cheap on the bank corners of the seat. Still have a ratchet on the bottom, but I angle the strap up on the back of the tree and not too tight. I then put the cam over strap lower than the seat and tighten enough to get a good tightness when the seat is set. Even tighten the ratchet. Zero movement now. Confused now?! Hope that helps

Very much confused, got a picture of that wild contraption?
I knew it was a terrible description when I posted it. You cracked me up! I saw a picture of a guy's DIY platform with 2 straps. The bottom strap was angled up, like a climbing stick that is set into the tree. The cam over strap (at the top attached to the platform) was actually angled down over the first strap so that when the seat was cammed , the angle would be correct for the seat to be solid. If the cam strap is perpendicular there's not much cam action and the platform won't be solid. I'll try to find pictures or take my own.

Gotta put a plug in for the treesuit-style platform too, with the caveat I just got one yesterday and haven't put it to the test yet. But, it's simple, secure, lighter, and cheaper than any other platform out there. Packing it through the woods is the biggest question, but seeing the compact size in person has made that much less of a concern for me.

Back