• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Camera On a Killing Tree

Patriot

Fellas wondering if you can help me out with something. I’ve got a new routine that I’m really liking but I’m concerned I might be shooting myself in the foot, or maybe not?

Here’s my process let me know if I’m dumb.

I scout, I have fun, I find bedding or I find last years sign that generates images in my head of me dropping booners. Then I find my killing tree to shoot on the bedding exit trail or historical rut sign.

I do a preset with my Treehopper to about 10-14 feet and I hang my cam there. I choose that hight only because I want my cam out of line or sight of thieves but I also figure might as well drill my preset holes now so I can slide right up that tree in the fall and drop my button buck, errr I mean my BOONER.

It’s efficient for my presets and it gives me good camera intel on what I consider to be a killing tree.

BUT.... am I conditioning deer To notice my camera and therefore be weary of the very tree I intend to kill my button booner out of?

or am I over thinking it and they won’t even notice a cam 10-20 yards out and 14 feet up? I also plan to remove all cams about 30 days before show time.

thoughts? Great system or am I ruining kill trees in all the new spots I’m adding to my cookies jar?

Deer won't see it in the tree, only smell you going in and out. I would leave that camera there all season and if it's not a cell cam only check it the 1-3 times you hunt there. Then you can see when it would be a good killing tree for next year.

I agree with the above. Don't over check that cam, I'd probably hang it and check it once when I take it down the first time I hunt that spot. This brings up other possible issues like the cam dying and you have no clue. Forget to even turn it on and it sits there in a prime spot only to discover 6 months later, etc.

I agree leave it all season. Leave it while you hunt. Might even get some cool action shots. People talk about deer spooking from a camera. I see that from video evidence the first day or 2 it is in the woods. I don't think they will really notice 10-14 ft up. My only real worry would be a branch budding out right in your line of sight and wearing your batteries down whenever the wind blows.

I agree as well, leave it there all season & you will get good intel for what times of season the bucks do or don't use that area. Many people check their cameras way too much IMO but if you can be disciplined and only check it when you hunt you won't be alerting the deer of your presence so bad. Or use a cell cam but that comes with more cost.

I know there are so many people trying to shave an ounce, but I carry a tablet in the stand with me. I pull cards on the way to the stand. After daylight I check the cards. That has kept me in the stand a little later a few times, because for the past few days a group of doe moved through at 1300. That equalled a dead doe, where as I might have moved to an afternoon location.

I know there are so many people trying to shave an ounce, but I carry a tablet in the stand with me. I pull cards on the way to the stand. After daylight I check the cards. That has kept me in the stand a little later a few times, because for the past few days a group of doe moved through at 1300. That equalled a dead doe, where as I might have moved to an afternoon location.
Or get an SD Card Reader that plugs into your phone to view your pics while on stand. Nice little cheap $14 investment at the most.

I do exactly what you do. We talk about not setting up until you find the most amazing sign; well I also don't hang a camera unless I see some pretty awesome sign (that I believe is made during the day). This could just be beaten down exit trails or big scrapes etc. This is sign that is so good I would hunt it. But if it's off season, I simply hang a camera instead of hunting it. So that way, if I end up getting tons of activity and nice deer on that cam, I will be back to hunt either that exact tree or a tree in the very close vicinity. I also hang all my cam's 10+ feet high and have never had a pic of a deer cocking it's head and looking all the way up there at it. I'd say your strategy is solid!

I put a cam at one of my killing trees last year and besides videos of me going in and out to hunt it a couple of times I also got a video of one of my target bucks (who might just be a Booner) walking broadside at 20 yards in front of my tree 2 hours before dark and again right at dusk on opening day. I didn't see the video until after my season was over already due to an injury but guess where I will be sitting on the opener this year? I set that cam about a month prior to the opener and didn't check it until I pulled it after the season. Interesting enough, our season opens in early Sept. and by the early rut (late October) that buck is living in a patch of woods behind my house which is about a mile from where I got that video.

@Patriot last year for the first time I started using those cheap Tasco trail cams you can get from Walmart. They are Olive Drab color and are like $28 each or less. I had one on a bed in the late season and had some of the biggest bucks and a couple of does stay in that bed next that camera on video mode and they never knew the difference. These cameras seem quieter to me than more expensive ones (I have bushnell hd and moultry's and they take decent enough pics and great video. I have several bucks walking by and it was at chest high level with never any disturbance (seemingly) from the deer whatsoever. A couple of factors were that it was late season December into the first of January so on average the wind is much louder at that time then say in the early fall months so that could be some of it but anyway, thought I'd share my experience. The other thing with these cameras, if they do get stolen... you're out a lot less money. I would stick with putting them a bit higher too like you are planning but the big take away is don't go checking them every week. Let them soak for a two or three weeks when checking them and do so quickly when you do it. Cell cams would be ideal but again, I'm not sure I'd push it on public unless it is a super remote area and access is limited. The state uses cable locks on their cameras and it prevents most from taking them. Some jerks will steal a camera no matter what.

@Patriot last year for the first time I started using those cheap Tasco trail cams you can get from Walmart. They are Olive Drab color and are like $28 each or less. I had one on a bed in the late season and had some of the biggest bucks and a couple of does stay in that bed next that camera on video mode and they never knew the difference. These cameras seem quieter to me than more expensive ones (I have bushnell hd and moultry's and they take decent enough pics and great video. I have several bucks walking by and it was at chest high level with never any disturbance (seemingly) from the deer whatsoever. A couple of factors were that it was late season December into the first of January so on average the wind is much louder at that time then say in the early fall months so that could be some of it but anyway, thought I'd share my experience. The other thing with these cameras, if they do get stolen... you're out a lot less money. I would stick with putting them a bit higher too like you are planning but the big take away is don't go checking them every week. Let them soak for a two or three weeks when checking them and do so quickly when you do it. Cell cams would be ideal but again, I'm not sure I'd push it on public unless it is a super remote area and access is limited. The state uses cable locks on their cameras and it prevents most from taking them. Some jerks will steal a camera no matter what.

ive Been thinking of trying the tascos. You are right about wind in the late season but the deer are also at the peak of their pressure so if they didn’t spook that’s a great sign.

You are asking about camera placement and how it relates to killing a booner. Would be good to have asked the question about how many booners the posters have shot and their trail camera approach. “I place cameras all over the place and shoot a spike buck every year!”

You are asking about camera placement and how it relates to killing a booner. Would be good to have asked the question about how many booners the posters have shot and their trail camera approach. “I place cameras all over the place and shoot a spike buck every year!”

the booner comment was a joke. My actual question is “is it dangerous to put a camera in a killing tree for fear of conditioning the deer to pay attention to that specific tree”

It not a terrible idea with a cell camera. With a regular camera I wind up with a dead camera from a limb blowing in the wind or a coon messes with my camera and has it pointing the wrong direction.

Hey Maverick. I thought everyone was killing booners. Every deer I kill, fills the freezer the same way a booner does.

Brother your over thinking it LOL. You found some killer spots this year. Need more cameras you know where I live come get them and btw your gonna kill a boomer specially in the area you last scouted. Killer sign!!

Back