• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Camouflage

Basshunter53

So.. I have been looking for new hunting gear for next season and was looking at the new asio camo. It seems to blend in well. I know camo is not necessary, but wanted to see what your opinions are when it comes to the best camo for stand hunting?

To me the Asio stuff doesn't look like it would do much to break up your outline. After reading as much as I could about camouflage and how deer's vision works I'm a huge fan of patterns like Predator Grey or Fall Brown. They seem to look right through you with a good macro pattern. Usually not necessary, but can be a big help in certain situations IMO

I have used Mossy Oak break up country. Lately I just have used basic earth tone colors.

As far as camo patterns go, natural gear is my favorite followed by sitka open country. Those 2 seem to blend in well no matter what environment you put them in for the most part.

There is a guy on YouTube that does all these deer vision shows. To me, the ones that look best are the big blotchy patterns. IMO when you look at all the different real tree type camouflage, they look great when you are close enough to see the detail but from far away it just looks brown.

*** Camo. I picked up a complete set last year. Pricing is cheap compared to other brands, quality is good.

FWIW - I have given up on camp pattern and focused my dollars on scent control. I have moved strictly to scentlok.

I agree about asio. I think if they had their pattern mixed with something to break it up. It would be perfect.

How about wearing something like ASAT over Scentlok?

I think there is something to the scent tech with scentlok. I know nothing about ASAT. I like the way Eberhart goes about it. I hunt private land in South Louisiana but it is high pressure.

When it comes to camo pattern, Im agnostic. I think the best camo to be still and, because I assume you hunt mostly out of a saddle, being behind a tree.

I think there is something to the scent tech with scentlok. I know nothing about ASAT. I like the way Eberhart goes about it. I hunt private land in South Louisiana but it is high pressure.

When it comes to camo pattern, Im agnostic. I think the best camo to be still and, because I assume you hunt mostly out of a saddle, being behind a tree.

This year I rocked the First lite ghillie top and the matching face mask. because its so thin and breathable, it allows me to wear anything I want under it,. I think the leafy look of the suit is much better for camouflage than any pattern or color scheme. I think the silhouette of a big human predator in the tree is more noticeable than whatever camo you are wearing. A big bushy leafy looking thing also hides movement better I think, since bushes and leaves tend to move in the wind often. Just my take

ASAT leafy suit has been my go to for a long time, great camo.
Easy to regulate your comfort under the suit because it is so light.
Warm weather, a light shirt(s) and pants, cold weather, add layers as needed.
Clothing worn under the suit can be any color.

Back