• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Canned Deer Meat

Nutterbuster

SH Member
I did 7 quart jars last year, and I really think going forward this will be my primary storage method.

Pros:

Super simple. Cut deer meat into stew chunks. Trim fat and sinew, but no need to be anal. It all pressure cooks down into broth. Add to jars, throw in salt (I used 1tsp per quart) and a whole peeled garlic clove or 2. Cook. Cool. Put on shelf. Pop it open when you're hungry. Easiest way of processing and consuming an ungulate I've found.

Tasty. It's a simple taste, but a good one. And I haven't served it to anybody who turned their nose up at it. It's very "normal" food.

Versatile. I get a cup to a cup and a half of wonderful broth drained off of each quart jar and use it in everything I can. Tastes like good beef stock. You can add the chunks to soup, make a Philly cheese steak, make tacos, add it to stir fry...whatever.

Shelf stable. Store deer meat at the camp, in your car, under your bed, in your sock drawer, in the laundry room. No more being limited to freezer space.

Cons:

You need a pressure cooker. Honestly, i don't think that's a con. A 23qt Presto is about 100-150 bucks, and handy as a shirt pocket.

You need jars. Again, not really a con. Jars are handy and cheap and recyclable. Really, the ability to store so many things long term with so little cost and gear is great. I can soup leftovers all the time now, and occasionally can my own beans using much cheaper dried beans. I can my fig preserves too. Being able to can is awesome.

This year, I'll probably switch from quart jars to wide mouth pints. For me and the wife that's a more manageable portion for a quick meal. Wide mouth jars are also easier to wash and fill with chunks. I'll also play with canning ground venison with taco seasoning, since we eat a lot of tacos as quick and easy meals at home.

I honestly can't see myself freezing deer meat from here on out unless I get a sausage stuffer and mixer to complement my grinder. It's no more work to can than to wrap or vacuum seal, and it's way easier to store and eat.

I did my first batch this past season. Completely agree on being the easiest way to process and store deer meat. I only used the "worst" meat and it's unbelievable tender. Where we have failed is finding the best dishes to make with it. So please, post up your favorite dish to make with canned deer meat!

I did my first batch this past season. Completely agree on being the easiest way to process and store deer meat. I only used the "worst" meat and it's unbelievable tender. Where we have failed is finding the best dishes to make with it. So please, post up your favorite dish to make with canned deer meat!
Don't have pics, but I personally like cooking it up kinda like carnitas.

Skillet. Peanut oil. Fajita seasoning. Fry up until the meat is breaking into fibers and the fibers are getting a bit crispy. Set aside. Fry up onion, garlic, bellpeppers. Add to meat.

Serve up with some homemade pico, Mexican style rice, black beans, canned sliced peppers, and whatever else you like. Eat with tortillas.

My wife loves eating out at Mexican restaurants. I usually can't stand them, but like some Mexican food if I cook it. Most restaurants seem to just serve canned chicken or beef smothered in tomatoe sauce and cheese 5 different ways. During the pandemic I worked out my own spice mixes, pico and salsa recipes, refried beans, etc. I don't drink tequila, but I bought some good stuff and learned to make margaritas.

Major points for me. Every now and then I pull out all the stops and blare salsa music while I cook dinner. She loves to hate it.

I also like a Philly cheesesteak. Fry the meat with peppers and onion. Add cheese and melt. Slop onto hoagie roll. Consume with beer.

Wife isn't a beef stew person, but I am and it's not hard to tweak a recipe to allow for canned meat. Basically just pour the broth in, cook as normal, and add the cooked meat after its done. This year I may mess around with canning beef stew and a few other soups for super easy meals.

I can also eat it straight out of the jar on top of crackers if I'm wearing my wifebeater.

Shelf stable. Store deer meat at the camp, in your car, under your bed, in your sock drawer, in the laundry room. No more being limited to freezer space.
canned meat chunks in my sock drawer. very serial killeresque. im sold already just for the weird factor. maybe throw some fava beans (and a nice chianti) in there too.

This is about the only way my wife will eat venison. It does have alot advantages.

Ghetto meal is eating it with mashed potatoes. Make gravy from the broth. Cook meat up with onions, peppers,carrots, mushrooms, and celery. Maybe splash in some red wine and throw some thyme and oregano in.

Kinda like pot roast and taters

You have wwaaayyyy nicer ghettos in 'bama. Stop at gravy from the broth, and don't forget some Bouillon cubes because there can't be too much salt lol!

Would/will you miss the options available with fresh/frozen meat, like grilling? Or smoking? I'm 100% for canning. I wouldn't want all my stuff canned though.

Btw canned venison makes great sloppy joes and/or pulled meat style bbq sandwiches

Can you fine folks recommend a particular brand of pressure canner? These things tend to be spendy and I don’t have a memaw to hand me down one.

Ghetto meal is eating it with mashed potatoes. Make gravy from the broth. Cook meat up with onions, peppers,carrots, mushrooms, and celery. Maybe splash in some red wine and throw some thyme and oregano in.

Kinda like pot roast and taters
Man that ain’t ghetto that’s fine dining. My son would eat the heck outta that

Canned meat sounds nasty but I’ve never tried it.
Man it's good. Don't think of it as "canned", think of it as "run through the pressure cooker". Tough meat - shoulders, shanks, neck, etc. - are perfect for this.

So please, post up your favorite dish to make with canned deer meat!

Try a jar of "simmer sauce" from the ethnic foods aisle of the grocery store for a quick weeknight venison curry. Serve over rice, maybe stir some broccoli or cauliflower or whatever you got in the freezer into the sauce.

I've had it with a bit of liquid smoke added to the jar, and I've heard of people smoking the meat for an hour or two before canning it. I haven't tried that yet myself but it's on the list.

One thing I do with beans is adding different spices and vegetables to the jar. The veggies are there as much to decode what I did to the beans as for the flavor. In a 16-pint run, I might have 4 plain, 4 with chili powder and jalapenos, 4 with taco seasoning mix and a slice of onion on the bottom, 4 with Italian seasoning and a bunch of garlic cloves, to tell them apart from the others.

I second the 23qt Presto, and having an extra seal that Nutter suggested. I'm pretty sure I picked one of those up for like $70 a couple years ago on Amazon. Geez!

I would add the weight set too. Gauges need regular calibration to insure accuracy, and thus safety. Weights are always good to go, and it's pretty nice having both to confirm your at the right pressure. It's also very convenient hearing the weights rattle, you have to look at that gauge to know it's still right.

Back