• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Catoosa WMA

HokeyMike

Looking for anyone familiar with catoosa WMA in TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never deer hunted it. I’ve been all over it coon hunting and predator trapping. Twra posts pictures of the deer taken off the hunts every year. They kill some bruisers out there. There is a lot of fresh clear cuts from this year and last as well as a bunch that was cut within the last 5 years. It can get thick and steep. Also keep your eye out for bears. Multiple guys i know personally had problems with bear last year on the archery hunt. One had a bear run him back to his truck walking from the stand. Another had a bear come in to his stand while he was in it and stayed around the bottom of his tree and wouldn’t let him leave. A lot of wild hogs as well.

Looking for anyone familiar with catoosa WMA in TN

I’m a TN boy but not close to Catoosa so never hunted it. Are you a member of the TNDeer.com website? I’ve gotten lots of helpful hints for local stuff there.

Reactions: swd
Can't see how bears would be a problem. A Tennessee license includes a bear tag (at least the resident license does)!!!

I've never hunted that part of the state, but I am eagerly awaiting quota hunt results for this fall...

Catman is around here occasionally and on TNDeer.com too. He may have been over there.

Can't see how bears would be a problem. A Tennessee license includes a bear tag (at least the resident license does)!!!

I've never hunted that part of the state, but I am eagerly awaiting quota hunt results for this fall...

Catman is around here occasionally and on TNDeer.com too. He may have been over there.

You cannot kill bears in every county in TN. During bow season, you can only kill bear in Morgan and Fentress Co. during deer archery season. Catoosa WMA is excluded from TN bear season

You cannot kill bears in every county in TN. During bow season, you can only kill bear in Morgan and Fentress Co. during deer archery season. Catoosa WMA is excluded from TN bear season

Ahhh. Good call. I don’t get over to the east side of the state to hunt. I’ve always been told that to bear hunt effectively over there you either have to scout quite a bit or run dogs. Spot and stalk won’t work because it’s so thick. Again, that’s what I was told…

All that in mind, I don’t pay much attention to the details of bear regs

I've hunted it quite a bit! What are you looking to know?

Though they should allow the taking of bears during the open archery hunt, can't get out of the truck without seeing a busted up stump/log or rocks flipped over. Some great bucks on the area but you need to pattern the other hunters first. Haven't heard if they've fixed the bridge on Daddys Creek yet, but I doubt it, that's a major inconvenience for sure.
Here's a nice one from there that I never connected with.
20210808_191434.jpg

Though they should allow the taking of bears during the open archery hunt, can't get out of the truck without seeing a busted up stump/log or rocks flipped over. Some great bucks on the area but you need to pattern the other hunters first. Haven't heard if they've fixed the bridge on Daddys Creek yet, but I doubt it, that's a major inconvenience for sure.
Here's a nice one from there that I never connected with.
View attachment 50677

I’m pretty sure the bridge is still out. Makes it tough to get around unless you go back out and all around gods creation to get to the other side.

The Bicolor side has the best bucks i’ve seen there, but also has the most hunters 100 yards off the road. Go deep in the woods in bicolor or hunt on genesis side. not as many good bucks on genesis side but you’ll have a more private hunt.

Back