• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cattails

GetHomeSafe

Hi fellow saddle hunters
Has anyone hunted a deer trail in thick cattails? I hear it's best to hunt them from about 20yds at a 45deg angle to the trail. Has that been your experience? How do you cut a shooting lane in cattails...a machete? Do you cut an observation window as well or just a shooting lane? Thanks for the help.

Check out Dan Infalts hunting Marsh bedding dvd if you can. Goes over all you’re asking about and more.

Short answer is yes. You basically cut your own trail off of a main deer trail and kind of create your own space and try to pile enough cattails down to make a small floor foe you to stand on. As you can do kind of what you’re saying about leaving some tails up and around to create a bit of a blind, or cut some shorter to hide you but still shoot over/through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting beast did a brief video on it. I looked. Couldn't find it. He said go in summer. Cut a visual trail up high so you can see them. Then your shooting lane a little ways past so you can draw. He recommended drop a piece of plywood down. Then when you come back you can set your chair on it.

I really think it depends on your areas.
Might be able to pull hunts off like Dan does in wisconsin but out on east coast where i live, you cant cut lanes and make new trails it is illegal.
Also Dan hunts a load of transitions of private and lottery permit areas so the pressure is not as hard so its a bit different.
Dan knows his stuff and is a proven killer but from what I've learned ya gotta take tidbits of information learned and apply it to your tactics.
Ive tried to actually mimic Dan and a few others (especially THP Which i love) here and it just does not fully work here.
They sll used to be great basic teachers and very good at it but it just seems its all about the following and products now.
Plus most guys cant hunt 100’s of days a year like most these guys do.
time in the woods is best strategy or tactic out there.
Just be sure to check the regs before you start cutting lanes and trails.find the seasonal food and don't over think like me lol.

That's a great point about the amount of time dan Infalt is putting into his hunting. Its probably 3 times the average hunter does. I am a big Dan Infalt fan

Back