• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Central Iowa Hunter

skell

Staff member
SH Member
I've been lurking for a while and decided it is time to say hey.
First off, thank you for all the information you guys share.

I've been bowhunting about 15 yrs now...always using hang ons and climbers and almost entirely on public ground. Took this season (just ended) off after being blessed with little boy number 2 this fall. Decided I would focus on learning as much as I possibly could to improve my odds for future seasons. Which somehow led me to this forum...showing me I'm not alone in my obsession with DIY and studying whitetails. And of course has me seriously wanting to try out a saddle. It would really open up some more options for me on some of the ground I hunt. Don't suppose any of you happen to be in my vicinity and give lessons?? :) There's going to be some serious sweet talking going on to convince my wife of my newest "need"!!!

Anyway, post-season scouting starts today for me! Which should really help my obsession....

I'm too far away to help but just ask any questions you got and this bunch will give you more info than you can imagine.

It just so happens, I'll be in Iowa in early November.

Say the word and I'll bring a complete SitDrag setup for you to try out. I may even leave it there for you to continue to try out. I never like a heavy pack on the return trip home.

Wow! What a great way to go to Iowa to hunt!! I'm in,Welcome.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It just so happens, I'll be in Iowa in early November.

Say the word and I'll bring a complete SitDrag setup for you to try out. I may even leave it there for you to continue to try out. I never like a heavy pack on the return trip home.
Kind offer, I'm just not sure I'm going to be patient enough to wait that long! I've been thinking of getting a SitDrag and spending the off season experimenting at ground level. At least get a feel for what the movement and shooting from one would be like.

Is your hunt planned out? Public/private? Part of state?

Kind offer, I'm just not sure I'm going to be patient enough to wait that long! I've been thinking of getting a SitDrag and spending the off season experimenting at ground level. At least get a feel for what the movement and shooting from one would be like.

Is your hunt planned out? Public/private? Part of state?
I was was waiting on you to offer so I could start planning the hunt... Lol.

Kidding. I can't make Iowa this year. I already have committed to a Montana elk hunt.

Again, good luck with the saddle. You're going to love it.

I was was waiting on you to offer so I could start planning the hunt... Lol.

Kidding. I can't make Iowa this year. I already have committed to a Montana elk hunt.

Again, good luck with the saddle. You're going to love it.
Ha! Well when you get the opportunity I can certainly point you to some decent public ground.

I think you are making the better choice heading west...I've been out to CO for a couple of OTC bow hunts. I didn't get any shots but had some amazing experiences. My first hunt I had a herd bull at about 30 yards over a ridge screaming at us. He wouldn't walk away from his cows enough to give us a shot.

Second time out there, we snuck into an area we knew some were visiting early morning. I made a ground blind the afternoon prior. We got there a couple hours before light and they were already there. They slowly moved away not knowing what we were. I snuck to my blind and my buddy stayed back a ways to call a little to keep them from moving on. Once he started calling a satellite bull came back to where it heard me. Next thing I knew I heard a stick snap right next to me. Out of the corner of my eye I could just make out the bull. I could have reached out and touched his nose. He was just outside the blind I made at about 3 ft. This was about 30 minutes before shooting.
Probably my most exciting/terrifying hunting experience!

Needless to say...as soon as it works out for me to go again, I will be out west.

Forgot to add...I'm iced in today. So, I'm going to go ahead and order a SitDrag to start messing with.

I can't keep reading this forum without trying something!

Ha! Well when you get the opportunity I can certainly point you to some decent public ground.

I think you are making the better choice heading west...I've been out to CO for a couple of OTC bow hunts. I didn't get any shots but had some amazing experiences. My first hunt I had a herd bull at about 30 yards over a ridge screaming at us. He wouldn't walk away from his cows enough to give us a shot.

Second time out there, we snuck into an area we knew some were visiting early morning. I made a ground blind the afternoon prior. We got there a couple hours before light and they were already there. They slowly moved away not knowing what we were. I snuck to my blind and my buddy stayed back a ways to call a little to keep them from moving on. Once he started calling a satellite bull came back to where it heard me. Next thing I knew I heard a stick snap right next to me. Out of the corner of my eye I could just make out the bull. I could have reached out and touched his nose. He was just outside the blind I made at about 3 ft. This was about 30 minutes before shooting.
Probably my most exciting/terrifying hunting experience!

Needless to say...as soon as it works out for me to go again, I will be out west.
I've had similar experiences. As a matter of fact nearly the same exact thing happened to me at a waterhole in 2015. Except it was during shooting light. It happened so fast when I finally got a shot, I hit him high and never recovered the bull.

you can't just stand back without trying out some of this stuffffffffffff......

So true...

And so it begins...

3dbde7c42f8ba14805847027e6f2f41e.jpg

Nice. The guy that makes the Sit and Drag must be wondering what is driving his sales up recently lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back