• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cheap new tree pad for knees

mtsrunner

I hate knee pads. And yes, I have the ArcTery’x and Trophyline pads.

So, for the last 15 or so seasons I have used a cut down ground seat pad strapped to the tree. With strap, my thinnest one is 4 ounces and kind of cumbersome.

So, I was in Dollar Tree today and at the checkout they had some 6’ long pool noodles with a hole running all the way through them. I thought that might work.

And it does.

I cut it in about 15” sections and got 4 pads out of it. So, $0.25 each.

Added some Camo duct tape and and Amsteel leash and voila: 1.5 ounces of cushioned effectiveness.

For me, it’s all I need. My knees only hit in a small focused area. Once I get it set, it’s all good.

09e7dbbdc4f67bed123cf89c03096d1a.jpg

So, for the last 15 or so seasons I have used a cut down ground seat pad strapped to the tree. With strap, my thinnest one is 4 ounces and kind of cumbersome.

So, I was in Dollar Tree today and at the checkout they had some 6’ long pool noodles with a hole running all the way through them. I thought that might work.

And it does.

Added some Camo duct tape and and Amsteel leash and voila: 1.5 ounces of cushioned effectiveness.

For me, it’s all I need. My knees only hit in a small focused area. Once I get it set, it’s all good.

dibs on ArcTery’x pads! DM a brother :)

Man that's brilliant!! Does it make much noise?

If you don’t duct tape it or vet tape wrap it, yes.
With the tape or vet wrap, it’s super quiet.
I cut two of them down even shorter. I think about 12” is the sweet spot.

I had some issues with it staying in place while hunting this weekend, so I switched the connector from Amsteel daisy chain to a shock cord daisy chain. Seems to be working better now.
It was very comfortable for the 3 hour hunt I made yesterday.

I had some issues with it staying in place while hunting this weekend, so I switched the connector from Amsteel daisy chain to a shock cord daisy chain. Seems to be working better now.
It was very comfortable for the 3 hour hunt I made yesterday.
Got pics of new set up?

And it does.

I might build me one and try it... great idea.

Thanks for the pool noodle duct tape idea. I'm using pool noodles heavily for a semi-custom pack and this will help me.

Ok here is the attachment system that I’m going to stick with. It’s just about a 6’ piece of shock cord with a small loop in the end along with a line lock hook. Easy and infinitely adjustable.
1639c524bb816a36b04294f6d2fc09f9.plist

5dd1e1d10d8a67ce0741d125f9705a59.jpg

cc893ce6f7ceb145fbe9a221a3292308.jpg

Has anyone tried paintball knee pads. I know it isn't the cheapest option, but i would think you if you can dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge in them all day you might be able to get away with them in the tree

This however looks super comfortable, well made and as you said cheap. Very nice

Back