• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Choosing a platform

207bowhunter

SH Member
So i bought a used predator xl thinking i would try it as a less expensive start. I initially thought about the trophyline mission but thought it was a little big for me. So is the predator a good choice?

I have 3 of them. Two gen1s and one gen2. I love them.
But they did have that issue of the noise from the pivot pin so we did the fix with the nylon bushing and they are now quiet. We also did my buddy's 3 that he has...we fixed 6 stands total and the all work great now.
The noise issue was a hot topic in the early days of the Predator but I don't hear it mentioned much these days. I assume Tethrd has addressed it?? Btw, we tried the wax remedy for the noise and it failed in low temps thats why we opted for the nylon bushing remedy.

Thanks, can you give me the information on the bushing fix
There was some threads about it so you can find more details about it somewhere here on Saddlehunter. Maybe someone can help find those threads and give you a link.
In short, We drilled out the bolt holes to accommodate a nylon bushing (available at most hardware stores). The bushing has worked well for us. It is holding up fine and the stand is completely quiet in temps down into the teens. I've never used the stands in single digit temps so I can't comment on if it makes noise in those temps.

Check out the new CRUZER SEEKER that will becoming available soon

Attachments

• C2F2DCBE-BA91-4944-8B78-DC1FD203082A.png
    C2F2DCBE-BA91-4944-8B78-DC1FD203082A.png
    761.5 KB · Views: 41
So i bought a used predator xl thinking i would try it as a less expensive start. I initially thought about the trophyline mission but thought it was a little big for me. So is the predator a good choice?
You might want to check the leveling bolt as well. They had issues on the XL with cracking where the leveling bolt is not centered.

Trophyline has another platform coming. Its smaller than the Mission. Less money than the Seeker and less angle on the end.

Everyone has their opinion, but in the end it is something to stand on not a deer killer.

Jeez kinda worried about my choice now, trying to piece together a first time saddle hunting setup without breaking the bank

Back