• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Clam cleat in action

HunterDan

So I'm going to start out by saying I messed up and ordered the opposite side entry then what I would have preferred

With that out of the way I order both the alloy and the nylon cleat. I start with the alloy cleat mounted it on a mini shikar with a 1/8" non bury dyneema girth hitched under the cleat with the cleat on top of 2 stacked #10 washers but the angle of the dyneema would touch the stand offs on a small tree so I moved it to below the cleat to prevent it from happening

Alloy cleat = bit into the dyneema instantly with no slip what so ever . HOWEVER removing the dyneema after the stick was set with body weight (200lbs) took a little more effort then I would want to have to deal with if I had cold weak hands late season hunting

So I switched it out for the nylon cleat

Nylon cleat = bit pretty fast about a 1/4" of slip. Removed much better

I'm my opinion clam cleats are definitely a plausible option for our application. however,, their shape is piss poor for our angle of entry. The way its shaped the dyneema slides over the top of it quite easily. I drew a picture of the way it should be made for our entry

I am going to order the other entry in nylon cleat and modify a guide to help to guide the dyneema into it Screenshot_20210119-171258_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210119-171304_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210119-171310_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210119-171317_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210119-171324_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210119-171333_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210119-171342_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210119-171350_Gallery.jpg

That right there scares the life out of me! A traditional cam cleat has 2 flat surfaces clamping the rope. Where as that design seems like with any weakness/abrasion at all you could induce failure. I’m gonna read up a little bit. First impressions though........

I think I might like it but I agree with @Bigterp as it just relies on total friction and no mechanical action to continue to bite down. That being said, could you take the tag end back up and around and slide it in again next to the first piece of rope or double it to enter some redundancy to the system? Thinking out loud.

Or mount another opposite cam cleat just below or maybe even behind and below and it wouldn't add much to the fiddle factor for one sticking???

They make the clam cleats in port and starboard, which provides options for counterforce.

But, for safety sake, a secure tie off seems critical, whether by knot alone or redirection of line first with a secondary cleat, perhaps on the side or back of the stick.

Frankly, I worry about the long term durability of all things mechanical, despite the good track record of cam cleats and cam strap buckles.

A tie off cleat like Tethrd is showing on its One Stick offers extra reassurance.

No doubt tandem cleating, using clam and tie off cleats, provides the advantages of quick placement and overall security.

Unless you’re one sticking, in which case a clam cleat just presents increased risk and/or difficulty to use safely.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of the girth hitch being so much lower than where the rope exits the cleat. One force pulling low and one force pulling high in opposite directions is just asking for that stick to twist and kick out.

I don't like the idea of the girth hitch being so much lower than where the rope exits the cleat. One force pulling low and one force pulling high in opposite directions is just asking for that stick to twist and kick out.

The guys modding the Mission platform dealt with this.

I agree and the lower you install it the lower that girth hitch would be. Maybe why OOAL put the button on inside of the stick.

I totally agree with you guys the 2 rope points should be at the same point on the stick to minimize the opposing force side pressure and twisting on the stick. The wide standoffs on the shikar handled it great. This write up is about the cleat not the stick ill post the final set up after I get the cl214 cleats with better rope tie off points when they come in

Last edited:
I know we are dealing with different bumps and conditions on a boat, but the cleat you used releases all the time on boats. I would NEVER trust that for something other than outriggers, a locking a rope in temporarly that didn't matter. Lots of experience in boats with those cleats! I have the Harken mechanical cam cleat on a single stick. That one locks down and continues to get tighter.

Be careful using that thing!

I’ve been using this type of cleat for a knee ascender and sometimes a chest ascender, along with a friction hitch. On a sailboat they may release, but there isn’t the type of forces acting on it here. As the line is load it is pulled deeper into the device by the grooves.

Cool, and that is what I was saying, a lot of different bouncing and pulling. I just know it is a son of a when our 40 foot outrigger with 3 ballyhoo breaks loose in the middle of a tuna bite. Hate those cleats. We changed it this winter.

Back