• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Clickers

JSEXTON23

So, I wanted to make a thread since I’m seeing a lot of new guys coming in. I also believe this can help the seasoned shooters as well. New trad shooters might not experience target panic in its various forms because they haven’t put in the reps yet for their subconscious to override them.

I recently began locking up just before getting that last bit of tension into my back and out of my hands and arms. This was causing a noticeable pluck. Watching in slow motion video I could see my draw hand waving to the crowd like a pageant queen in a float parade. This was leading to a difficult time tuning arrows, because the lateral string path was inducing a lot of force in the arrow, causing me to get weak arrow readings even when I knew it wasn’t possible.

I was not collapsing, no drive by shooting yips, just simply arm pulling in hopes of staying in control. If I relaxed my bicep and forearm that last tiny amount to transfer the load into my back...boom! The shot would break and the hand would fly away.

So today, I did what I knew I needed to do for myself for a while. I put the limb mounted clicker back on my bow. Within 2 shots I had a bareshaft that was previously flying sideways flying like a dart. My back needs some strength building because I have not been using the proper set of muscles.

Some people call a clicker a bandaid but I could hardly care less. It’s a tool for those who need it. If you’re struggling, do yourself a favor and consider it. And for the beginners, just start with it so you develop proper form and mechanics.

This is good to hear. Thank you. Just put one on my bow and I feel like it helped.
That’s awesome. I think a beginner would be wise to use them. Even if it is just for a draw check to make sure you’re getting to a consistent draw length.

Additionally, when used properly with relaxed draw arm muscles, you really learn what people mean by “expansion” and “back tension”. The key for me is to focus on maintaining a relaxed draw arm from before the draw through the release.

That’s awesome. I think a beginner would be wise to use them. Even if it is just for a draw check to make sure you’re getting to a consistent draw length.

Additionally, when used properly with relaxed draw arm muscles, you really learn what people mean by “expansion” and “back tension”. The key for me is to focus on maintaining a relaxed draw arm from before the draw through the release.
Yes sir. This is exactly what I initially wanted it for. Need to stay as consistent as possible.

Heard a tradgeeks podcast featuring Joel Turner that @GCTerpfan posted in another thread. I completely understand it conceptually, but putting it into practice is mucho difficult for me at this point (real trad newb). Seems like way too much to think about in the moment.

Yes sir. This is exactly what I initially wanted it for. Need to stay as consistent as possible.

Heard a tradgeeks podcast featuring Joel Turner that @GCTerpfan posted in another thread. I completely understand it conceptually, but putting it into practice is mucho difficult for me at this point (real trad newb). Seems like way too much to think about in the moment.
Just do us all a favor, and yourself. HAVE FUN!!!

I also suggest the most recent (maybe a year ago) Tom Clum seminar youtube video. His grasp of the mental aspect of human performance is great.

If a clicker does not appeal to you, try touching your nose with the fletching.
I have helped a couple of people over the years that were plucking, short drawing and assorted other no no's.
You may have to change your anchor point, but in the long run they were "cured" of their ails.

@Red Beard how is the clicker going?

Im a newb too, got a recurve a few months ago and have been working on my form almost daily
I've found the clicker to be great for what I'm using it for (draw check). Kind of abandoned using it as a psycho trigger though. I end up plucking the string when I use it like that.

Being a complete newb to trad myself, I can say that I feel like it takes out one of the many variables when used as a draw check device. Go for it!

I've found the clicker to be great for what I'm using it for (draw check). Kind of abandoned using it as a psycho trigger though. I end up plucking the string when I use it like that.

Being a complete newb to trad myself, I can say that I feel like it takes out one of the many variables when used as a draw check device. Go for it!

I think this is great. I find for people not used to the concept of executing a clicker/triggered shot, that using this as a draw check and a verification that you are not collapsing is perfect. I use mine the same way. If I hear a click before I release I know I’ve collapsed.

So I was listening to a podcast and heard something really interesting. Use the string clicker as a training aid to develop muscle memory of where you need to be. They go on to say the only problem with a string clicker is you always have to be at 100% to make a shot. Meaning you won't shoot until you hear the click. But you can also shoot at 95% and still hit what you are trying to hit. So you open yourself up to have an easier shot kind of.
I did it this way after listening to the podcast, string clicker to get my form down and once I felt comfortable and knowing where I need to be with my anchor and everything i too the string off. If I notice my shot going to hell in a hand basket I can throw it back on, but for the most part as long as I remember what i need to do in my shot sequence I'm hitting what I need to.

Back