• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing down.

Mschmeiske

SH Member
I always hate climbing down after a hunt with an aider.... I feel ok on the way up, but I don’t feel as stable on the way down and my knees don’t care for it as much either.... and juggling a linesman belt in the midst :unamused:

I feel like the tether and points of contact on the stick would keep me stable enough and relieve pressure on my knees.

So I considered 25’ of oplux for a tether and just slowly lowering myself with a friction hitch as I come come down and skip out on a linesman belt? I’ll still need the aider, but I feel like I won’t be as worried about stability and it would take pressure off the knees. (Stepping down is not as easy as up anymore on my left knee)

Does this sound like a stupid idea?
In my head it seems ok, worst come to worst I go swinging like Tarzan a second?

Any dangers you can think of? I mean it seems similar to DRT or whatever it is you folks do.

I rappel down with oplux when I climb with my spurs and when I use WE steps and knaider/swaider. 40’ of oplux, an extra biner, and a madrock safeguard fit in a fleece dump pouch from doublesteps.com and weight less than 2lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate coming down with aiders also. Doesn’t matter what kind but I do feel more steady and comfortable with a movable aider that stays fixed to my foot...

I mean rappelling down seems like a good idea if you are going to do that. But then if you are going to rappel why not one stick?

Dammit!!! Did I just talk myself into trying one sticking again?

I just don’t like mechanical stuff.. I got rid of my ropemans for that reason. And one guy I watched looked sketchy as heck with whatever he was using....it seemed like if he let go accidentally, he was free falling.

I hate coming down with aiders also. Doesn’t matter what kind but I do feel more steady and comfortable with a movable aider that stays fixed to my foot...

I mean rappelling down seems like a good idea if you are going to do that. But then if you are going to rappel why not one stick?

Dammit!!! Did I just talk myself into trying one sticking again?

I feel like too much slack is introduced in one sticking... I just don’t feel like it’s a good idea for me personally.

You can rappel without using a mechanical device like the Safeguard. I assume that's what you were referring to as being sketchy? You could use a figure 8 or an ATC backed up with an autoblock. It's a great way to go. Fast, efficient and fun! Coming down is no longer an arduous task. You'll almost find yourself looking forward to coming down.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I think lowering yourself down with a friction hitch sounds sketchy. If you slipped and grab the knot you could get down very quickly! Rapelling seems safer in my opinion
X2

I did that one on accident while adjusting my tether. Luckily I was only a few feet off the ground “practicing”.
Aiders are no fun coming down. If I’m only using a one step aider I just use the Cain method on the way down and skip the aider.

X2

I did that one on accident while adjusting my tether. Luckily I was only a few feet off the ground “practicing”.
Aiders are no fun coming down. If I’m only using a one step aider I just use the Cain method on the way down and skip the aider.

What’s this Cain method you speak of?

I recently started using this technique.....maybe not the safest option but haven't died yet
I think that's supposed to be used in an "emergency" situation, might put a decent amount of friction with the rope on rope. I'm just wondering how many descents it would take before wear started showing up.

I have maybe 20 times so I cant answer.... maybe @TJutte can chime in. I'm using 9mm htp and after decent the rope has a stiffness to it but that stiffness goes away after u shake it out or daisy chain back up....if I get 4-5 seasons out of it then I'm good with that...

I have maybe 20 times so I cant answer.... maybe @TJutte can chime in. I'm using 9mm htp and after decent the rope has a stiffness to it but that stiffness goes away after u shake it out or daisy chain back up....if I get 4-5 seasons out of it then I'm good with that...
Yeah true, not like we're using it like a rock climber would and I think most arborist and tactical style ropes could probably take the abuse of a few seasons.

Rappelling is a fun and safe way to get down the tree and is my primary descent method now. But I think that your plan to use a long tether as a lifeline and slide your prussik down as you descend is a perfectly good solution. That’s what I did for years when using fixed tree stands.

Back