• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing method as platform

What climbing methods are out there that also serve as the platform? I've seen the lone world hand climbers, and some people even girth hitching a tether with a stick on the end and standing on the stick. Mostly looking to see what is put there.

I hunted most of my first season using the K/S and one WE step as my platform. Not a bad way to do quick hunts 4 hours or less but I wouldn't want to spend the day that way any more.

Yeah if I was going all day id want to be more comfortable. On a quick evening or morning hunt when I dont know exactly where I'm setting up, I'd want to have as minimal bulk and weight as possible with the most usability. Has anyone used the OOAL Scout as there platform in conjunction with one sticking?

My new 1-stick scout/mini shikar. Going to be a sweet set up. Adding a couple steps to strap and I see no problem with all day sit.

d6c6bb5adf83c0a193376170ae92130e.jpg

c9e2585307fe706dc3e5bf80ad2526f7.jpg

51ca417e50bc4b0eb0031d40686ec51d.jpg

Have you actually tried the Lone Wolf Hand Climber? It’s so easy and makes a great platform. I have tried just about every one stick, WE Stepp’s and fixed platform out there. I think I like the LWHC best overall.

My new 1-stick scout/mini shikar. Going to be a sweet set up. Adding a couple steps to strap and I see no problem with all day sit.

d6c6bb5adf83c0a193376170ae92130e.jpg

c9e2585307fe706dc3e5bf80ad2526f7.jpg

51ca417e50bc4b0eb0031d40686ec51d.jpg
Have you tried different straps? Im curious what the best strap would be for this kind of setup

Have you tried different straps? Im curious what the best strap would be for this kind of setup

I’ve tried daisy chain and the mini strap OOAL has so far. I have a cam over buck strap comin from DanO. So far daisy chain I couldn’t get as tight to prevent side pressure kick out. OOAL strap was a tighter fit but still a little. I’m thinking the OCB will be perfect. Will update when I try it out.

Ah just thought I should try OOAL strap that came with the scout solo. I see OCB doing better than the cinch strap though.

I’ve tried daisy chain and the mini strap OOAL has so far. I have a cam over buck strap comin from DanO. So far daisy chain I couldn’t get as tight to prevent side pressure kick out. OOAL strap was a tighter fit but still a little. I’m thinking the OCB will be perfect. Will update when I try it out.

Ah just thought I should try OOAL strap that came with the scout solo. I see OCB doing better than the cinch strap though.
The daisy chain is much easier to climb with.One you get to hunting height,use the strap and buckle.

Is there a reason you went with the scout post form on the bottom rather than the top?

I started that way because it comes with the double step only on the bottom and nothing on the top. I later went and got a longer bolt to add the double step to see if it was an added benefit. This morning I swapped them to see which one held better. I haven’t had time to test it with the scout on top yet.

I started that way because it comes with the double step only on the bottom and nothing on the top. I later went and got a longer bolt to add the double step to see if it was an added benefit. This morning I swapped them to see which one held better. I haven’t had time to test it with the scout on top yet.

I like the set up, have you weighed it?

I haven’t but if number are correct online:

16oz shikar mini
14.9oz Scout

Then it would be sub 2lbs.

Back