• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing, Pack On or Off?

Do you climb the tree with your pack on or off?

• Total voters

gcr0003

SH Member
If you haven’t noticed I’m wearing out this poor poll button. Humor me one more again as I approach opening day Saturday.

If’n you’re still inclined to climb a tree at all, like so many of us saddle hunters are. Do you do it with the pack on or off?

If you climb with your pack on tell us:
1. Why?
2. Climbing methods that apply?
3. Approximate weight of pack during climb?
4. What big items do you haul in your pack when climbing up I.e. rappel rope, bow, clothes, stand, etc.

If you do not climb with your pack tell us:
1. Why not?
2. Approximate weight of pack?
3. Pack pull up method of choice?
4. How you configure your bow and pack for pull up.

And GO!

I think you missed your calling as a pollster.
1. Why?
Cuz I want to. I detest pull-up lines. I’m used to carrying all my gear with me during the climb.
2TC, 1 stick
20ish lbs
4. What big items do you haul in your pack when climbing up I.e. rappel rope, bow, clothes, stand, etc.
Bow, outer layer. Sometimes platform.

1. Why not? Purely because of the extra weight. I mainly SRT, with a lil 2tc, and I don't need that extra weight causing me to work harder and work up a sweat. Also, I don't want to be top heavy while climbing/rappelling more than my fat ass already is.
2. Approximate weight of pack? Depends on the weather. Somewhere in the ballpark of 10-15 lbs, but working on eliminating some stuff.
3. Pack pull up method of choice? My climbing rope.
4. How you configure your bow and pack for pull up? My rope pull down line doubles as my bow/gun pull up rope. Climbing rope for my pack.

Edit: Pack probably fluctuates more between 10-20 lbs.

I don't climb with my pack on. I feel like it puts me off balance, don't care for the weight back there, maybe 15 pounds, never checked. I usually no- stick but have sticks I use occasionally.

For lower hieghts and how I climbed I either use a pull up rope, pack first clipped into an overhand loop mid line and bow on the end or I clip pack to pull up and bow to my rapell line

1. Why? one less thing to pull up and doesnt hurt anything climbing with it on
2. Climbing methods that apply? sticks
3. Approximate weight of pack during climb? not sure buy not very heavy at all
4. What big items do you haul in your pack when climbing up I.e. rappel rope, bow, clothes, stand, etc. extra tether, snacks,drink bottle, thermacell,hoody

1. Why? No reason not too, plus holds things like saws and clippers while I'm climbing and trimming
2. Climbing methods that apply? All methods
3. Approximate weight of pack during climb? With platform attached, under 10# max
4. What big items do you haul in your pack when climbing up I.e. rappel rope, bow, clothes, stand, etc. Water or gatorade, saw/clippers, platform, jacket, first aid kit and basic gut kit

1. Why?
Carry up everything I need (other than my bow, I use a pull up rope for that). I’ve got 2 side pouches on it that act SYS haulers for me like I put my tether and hanger in.
Climbing sticks
10ish pounds
Clothing if the season dictates, 32 oz water bottle, field dressing kit, nothing else is really big that I can recall. Attach sticks and platform to my saddle itself while I climb.

Or just stop bringing a pack all together along with a crazy amount of gear. Cargo pockets are where its at

Pack on
1. Why?
Tether, gear hanger, etc. are all kept in dump pouches on my pack waist belt. I hate things on my saddle.
All of them I have ever tried which has been most of them.
10-15lbs depending on climbing method and season
Everything except my bow. I connect a Doyles hoist and leave bow on the ground until set up.

Or just stop bringing a pack all together along with a crazy amount of gear. Cargo pockets are where its at

Hard to fit a deer in my cargo pockets on they way out. :)

How do you climb and what do you stand on when in tree? Do you carry your platform/ROS, climbing method and bow in your hands?

Hard to fit a deer in my cargo pockets on they way out. :)

How do you climb and what do you stand on when in tree? Do you carry your platform/ROS, climbing method and bow in your hands?
He definitely drives a four wheeler to the base of his ladder/box stand. Twinkies in the left cargo pocket, bullets in the right. DEER HUNTING! No pack needed.

Weapon comes up on pull up rope.

1. Why? It's easy to climb with it on and isn't in my way at all. Quieter to keep it on me than pull it up later.
2. Climbing methods that apply? Sticks, 2TC, SRT
3. Approximate weight of pack during climb? It's light. It's a modified Alps Long Spur turkey vest.
4. What big items do you haul in your pack when climbing up I.e. rappel rope, bow, clothes, stand, etc. Pack has what I consider usual pack things in/on it. Clothes, Thermacell, water, calls

Always climb with the pack. Climbing is 1 stick, jrb, multiple sticks or 2tc. Weight varies a good bit depending on if I take camera gear. Otherwise the pack has kill kit, thermacell, water bottle, backup light, range finder, monocular, ropes and what not for climbing.

1. Why? Because its super minimal and I barely feel it, so why not.
2. Climbing methods that apply? Everything: SRT, 1Stick, 3 sticks.
3. Approximate weight of pack during climb?6lbs
I recently discovered that I really like attaching my bow to my rappel rope, so after I am set I can pull bow up and store rope, no need for retrieval paracord.

1. Why? It has been a little too heavy to lift with a rope. I am in the process of trying to lighten it up.
2. Climbing methods that apply? Always sticks
3. Approximate weight of pack during climb? Just weighed my pack full with everything and it was 42#, So probably 20ish lbs.
4. What big items do you haul in your pack when climbing up I.e. rappel rope, bow, clothes, stand, etc I pull my bow up after, sometimes I attach some cloths to my bow. I use Ozonix (two this year, above and below me) My platform is hung on the back of my linesman belt. Clothes come up in pack too.

I love only having to pull up my bow. When I pulled up bow and pack, it was a pain to attach the 2 together, the pack would rub my string, and it was so heavy that I had to use a thicker cord than paracord because thin stuff would take off and burn your hand (I know there's workarounds for all those issues....but I like not having to use them).

1. Why? I have my ring of seps in there. Swing the pack off at height, attach to carabiner on foot loop, attach ROS, put pack back on, climb above ring.
2. Climbing methods? 2TC
3. Approximate weight? 3 to 5 pounds. Just the ROS and a gear strap and a ThermaCell and a spare flashlight.
4. What big items? ROS and ThermaCell. Bow is on the pull up rope attached to the saddle.

If you haven’t noticed I’m wearing out this poor poll button. Humor me one more again as I approach opening day Saturday.

If’n you’re still inclined to climb a tree at all, like so many of us saddle hunters are. Do you do it with the pack on or off?

1. Why?
I'm a one trip up the tree guy
2 or 3 full size Hawk Heliums
Very little. I suck at guessing weight, but the heaviest and biggest thing left after removing sticks and platform is knee cushion
Knee cushion, thermacell, release, gear strap and knife.

1. Why not?
2. Approximate weight of pack?
3. Pack pull up method of choice?
4. How you configure your bow and pack for pull up.

And GO!
1. Why?
I'm a one trip up the tree guy
2 or 3 full size Hawk Heliums
Very little. I suck at guessing weight, but the heaviest and biggest thing left after removing sticks and platform is knee cushion
Knee cushion, thermacell, release, gear strap and knife.

Back