• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing platform this year?

DanielB89

I have my speculation that this year will be the year of a climbing platform that is actually designed as a platform.

In my mind, it'll be just like the base of a LWHC except the arms will go down at a steeper angle raising the angle the strap goes around the tree(think LWHC mod) and still be one of the largest(if the THE largest) platform on the market.

I have been scheming how to make this happen on my extra one, but I haven't taken to chopping up and revamping mine yet.

Anyone know anything I don't? Attach files

I have my speculation that this year will be the year of a climbing platform that is actually designed as a platform.

In my mind, it'll be just like the base of a LWHC except the arms will go down at a steeper angle raising the angle the strap goes around the tree(think LWHC mod) and still be one of the largest(if the THE largest) platform on the market.

I have been scheming how to make this happen on my extra one, but I haven't taken to chopping up and revamping mine yet.

Haven't heard anything, but I did see a post or video where someone took the base of a lone wolf climber and then cut off a bunch of the platform which shortened and brought the weight down too. It seems this would hold you better.

Haven't heard anything, but I did see a post or video where someone took the base of a lone wolf climber and then cut off a bunch of the platform which shortened and brought the weight down too. It seems this would hold you better.

44FB7827-EACD-4811-BA78-86647017B9DC.png

I want to see a predator style platform with a post that also has a climbing belt. Climb to height with the belt and then flip the post up and attach it like the predator. Then you could loosen the belt and fold it down flat so it’s not in the way.

Didn’t someone here do that?

I want to see a predator style platform with a post that also has a climbing belt. Climb to height with the belt and then flip the post up and attach it like the predator. Then you could loosen the belt and fold it down flat so it’s not in the way.

Didn’t someone here do that?
someone did it with the base of a lone wolf climber. pretty nifty!

I made one like this and added a post to cam it to the tree at height. I posted the initial version on saddlehunter under the title cam climber.

I think a purpose built climbing platform and saddle in the right situations would be hard to beat.

With only slight modification the LWHC top is pretty good, but to me it’s too flimsy underfoot. I also know of some chatter about belt failure related to LW and XOP climbers.

A purpose built system could address the issues and be the bees knees.

Last edited:
someone did it with the base of a lone wolf climber. pretty nifty!

I like the extra real estate, but it could be sized down. I ran into some challenges that could be easily engineered out in a purpose built platform. These photos were during my first day fooling with the idea,D2C79C28-0F79-4DC3-A6DA-FA6E4FEE84BE.jpeg4921EC8B-98A0-4A01-9E9E-D5CBF0E01D83.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the extra real estate, but it could be sized down. I ran into some challenges that could be easily engineered out in a purpose built platform. These photos were during my first day fooling with the idea,

Yeah, we need an in between size between that and the seat; really maybe just a seat size but built as heavily as the bottom and with the double "struts" that hold the belt to the platform and fold down.

I wonder if @Jimmyfunk60 ever weighed that after being cut down?

I’m guessing about 8.5 lbs for his. He didn’t keep his that way I don’t think. They were making platforms from the castings in that thread, one was a trap door WWII sniper style platform that I thought was really cool.

I think cut, my platform weighed just under 9.5lbs, and with the post mod and all, around 10.5. Comparatively, my scale seemed heavier than others when weighing the same components, I was using a regular floor scale.

Yeah, we need an in between size between that and the seat; really maybe just a seat size but built as heavily as the bottom and with the double "struts" that hold the belt to the platform and fold down.

I’d be plenty happy with a moded LW Hand Climber seat sized platform too, but again, one not so flimsy. Guys have added a cross strut(s) to stiffen it, an that’s a whole nother can of tuna.

But, I think there is room for a “mid size” platform that would function more like the .5 as well. The beauty of this is that it’s a platform and a climbing method, so it offers a huge weight advantage over carrying sticks.

For more bulk /weight savings, there are other methods like platform sticking, and one sticking, and 2 tether climbing and all that.

I agree! I think that some sort of Saddle/Climber combo will be introduced.......maybe it will even have a small portable seat!

The ultimate platform would climb, be quickly attached and detached if using for no sticking, be light but of moderate size, be reasonably steady, and fold flat as a pancake...and not crack.

I’ve often thought about this and how to do it. I think it’s a great idea myself. Would be handy here for all the perfectly straight trees I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve often thought about this and how to do it. I think it’s a great idea myself. Would be handy here for all the perfectly straight trees I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t understand why there’s a need for perfectly strait trees with a hand climber. Obviously, strait trees are easier but that is the case with every method out there. Limbs could be a problem but add a two step aider and you cross them with ease.

In my eyes the only downsides to the lwhc is that you can’t climb large trees (which are my favorite) and it’s bigger than I need.

I don’t see a need to have a post and strap it to the tree. I like that it isn’t permanently attached to the tree. I can’t remember how many times I have set my platforms over the years and then realized the position sucks and I have to move it a couple inches or just deal with it for that hunt. Now I simply slide my feet under the strap and readjust.

If someone made a LWHC type of platform that was smaller I would buy one yesterday.

Just my thoughts but all that is really needed is a sub 10lb climber. At that point weight wise you’d almost be splitting hairs with a pack/platform setup. Doubt it will be this year but I would think with the weights of these new hang-ons it would be possible. Could easily use it as hybrid stand/platform at that weight. Would be the right size for straps and a waist belt rather than messing with a pack. Just my preference, I’m sure a lot of people would still desire a smaller platform. I also think there’d be a broader market for a climber that light so it would be more likely for someone to invest in that venture.

In my eyes the only downsides to the lwhc is that you can’t climb large trees (which are my favorite) and it’s bigger than I need.

I don’t see a need to have a post and strap it to the tree. I like that it isn’t permanently attached to the tree. I can’t remember how many times I have set my platforms over the years and then realized the position sucks and I have to move it a couple inches or just deal with it for that hunt. Now I simply slide my feet under the strap and readjust.

If someone made a LWHC type of platform that was smaller I would buy one yesterday.

Lots of fellows share your preference, and currently use the LWHC as a platform with just the cable around the tree and really enjoy the ability to move around the tree when they want or need to. And that works for them.

With the larger platform I have, to use the real estate the way I want, a secure attachment is what I prefer.

A lot of that ground has been tred. I’m not trying to convince anyone what they should want or prefer, and there is validity to the advantages different arrangements offer.

Just like regular platforms, some want a smaller version, some a bigger version, some a mid size. Selling points to one consumer are resale points to another. This is a personal preference game, and everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too.

The LWHC isn’t the only climber platform either, and some smaller options are out there, albeit not purpose built and with drawbacks because of that.

No matter the size, and function, I would love to have a well thought out purpose built foot platform for saddle hunting and the market is there for it.

Just my thoughts but all that is really needed is a sub 10lb climber. At that point weight wise you’d almost be splitting hairs with a pack/platform setup. Doubt it will be this year but I would think with the weights of these new hang-ons it would be possible. Could easily use it as hybrid stand/platform at that weight. Would be the right size for straps and a waist belt rather than messing with a pack. Just my preference, I’m sure a lot of people would still desire a smaller platform. I also think there’d be a broader market for a climber that light so it would be more likely for someone to invest in that venture.

A sturdy, comfortable sub-10lb climber that packs flat, isn’t noisy, and climbs well would be awesome, and an achievement. I think the lightest on the market is 12lbs by Xstand, so not too far off the 10lb mark, but lacking in some of those areas.

To get to sub-10, in a lone wolf style climber, there is some weight to shed.

LWHC Assault base: 10lbs
LWHC seat: 4lbs
LW Sit and Climb base: 11.5lbs
LW Sit and Climb top: 7lbs

On paper, it looks close. With platforms of similar dimension, the 1.0 vs LW Assault II as advertised are 8 and 11lbs respectively, so 3lbs difference. I don’t know how much of that is platform alone, as the 1.0 uses an I beam, smaller seat, shorter post, etc, so not apples to apples. Trimming 1lb off the seat, 25%, and you’re in the game. But, it’s not so simple.

Even then, lots of hunters criticize the Assault LWHC’s lack of comfort and small platform. So it’s going to appeal most to the mobile guys many of whom are getting into the saddle game to shed even more weight and bulk.

A purpose built climbing saddle platform still has its place and market, no doubt.

Back