• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing stick attachment methods

BRAY2KAY

Rope mods, amsteel rope daisy, webbing daisy chain, cam buckles, whoopie slings. Question is which one? Pros and cons of each. I new to the saddle hunting world and trying to figure out which way to go without breaking the bank doing it. Personally I'm fine with buying them all but the wife probably wouldn't like it.

Rope mods, amsteel rope daisy, webbing daisy chain, cam buckles, whoopie slings. Question is which one? Pros and cons of each. I new to the saddle hunting world and trying to figure out which way to go without breaking the bank doing it. Personally I'm fine with buying them all but the wife probably wouldn't like it.

I made an amsteel daisy chain. It was relatively cheep and easy. Best method IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just use an amsteel rope mod. I never could see why a daisy chain would be tighter than a rope mod. With a rope mod you can cinch up all the slack. With a daisy chain, you go to the tightest loop and its 2 ropes instead of one.

There is no end all be all, it’s all preference. I use Tethrd’s versa straps. Quick and easy imo.

Flat lightweight uhmwpe webbing in ‘rope mod’ fashion for me if I’m using more than one stick. Weighs nothing and packs better than any other option.

I use 1/8" amsteel daisy chains, but I usually tie it like a rope mod of sorts. If I had to do it over again, I would just splice one eye in the amsteel and use it as a rope mod. I shied away from that initially because with a skinny rope and the way folks were originally tying the rope mod, the thin amsteel could get too tight. Alternate ways of tying the rope mod (ex. going under the rope twice and then wrapping around the button several times before making a knot) get around that.

The traditional cam straps get a little tighter because they act more like a block and tackle (doubling force). This should be theoretically true of a rope mod as well, but it doesn't seem to work out that way as well.

I'm leaning more towards rope mod. Not sure whether to use amsteel or static rope. I like the way you can splice amsteel but it looks like to me you can tighten down the static better.

The cheapest option might be a tie between a DIY versa button + rope mod (conventional climbing rope) or thin amsteel daisy chains.
Official versa buttons and or thicker amsteel goes up in cost from there. OCB buckles and webbing is another step up but perhaps a step backwards in simplicity to use and weight.
The most expensive option (per stick) I'm aware of is a cam cleat. But I also think that's the easiest for one stick climbing. And it could still end up cheaper than doing three or four sticks in other methods.

In terms of ease-of-use, the best I found was a cam cleat and rope mod, but one sticking is a pretty different method than normal stick climbing. For multiple sticks, my easiest option was DIY versa button plus thin amsteel daisy chains. Next easiest was a rope mod. Third was versa lite webbing, but at that point I was frustrated with them because they were hard to get the loops open.
None of this counts aiders.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm leaning more towards rope mod. Not sure whether to use amsteel or static rope. I like the way you can splice amsteel but it looks like to me you can tighten down the static better.

The static rope will stretch a bit more, which will make it slide down the tree a bit.. Are you saying it will get tighter because of its increased width cinching onto itself?

If you don't go the traditional "once around the button and then overhand knot", then the amsteel will get plenty tight.

Take the tag end behind the spliced eye end from the bottom, then go around the button with the tag end then take it behind itself on the other side. The tension on the amsteel will then cinch itself on both sides of the button.

Continue around the button, but now in front of all the existing amsteel on the button. Wrap until the button is "full". Tie an overhand knot (which won't even get tight after all that but is there for added security).

Back