• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing with bow & predator

DC10

Is there anyone who climbs with their bow on their backpack and also use the predator platform?

Curious as to the best way to climb with bow on your pack while having easy access to your predator. I like don’t want to have the challenge of pulling my platform out of my pack since my bow will be attached to it.

Best to hang predator from your saddle?

I do the following:

Try strapping your Predator platform to your backpack chest strap. This way it is in front of you and easily detached upon reaching your climbing height using your preferred climbing method. Unbuckle the strap and it’s ready to install. It’s not uncomfortable like most would assume. You don’t have to remove your pack and you can keep your bow strapped in until your standing safely on your platform

Early season with pre sets or carbon bolts I often don’t need a full pack and opt for just a Bino case for my bolts, hand drill, grunt tube, thermacell, kill ziplock, and phone. When I use this setup I run my Bino harness back straps through the Predator platform for transport and climbing. I use a gameplan bow sling over my shoulder, Harness on my chest and the Predator on my back. Kinda balances things out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do the following:

Try strapping your Predator platform to your backpack chest strap. This way it is in front of you and easily detached upon reaching your climbing height using your preferred climbing method. Unbuckle the strap and it’s ready to install. It’s not uncomfortable like most would assume. You don’t have to remove your pack and you can keep your bow strapped in until your standing safely on your platform
Genius. Trying this tomorrow.

I do the following:

Early season with pre sets or carbon bolts I often don’t need a full pack and opt for just a Bino case for my bolts, hand drill, grunt tube, thermacell, kill ziplock, and phone. When I use this setup I run my Bino harness back straps through the Predator platform for transport and climbing. I use a gameplan bow sling over my shoulder, Harness on my chest and the Predator on my back. Kinda balances things out

Yeah, I thought about attaching it to my chest strap but I generally have my binoculars on my chest.

May just have to put my binoculars in my pack until I get up to hunting height.

Last edited:
Great idea, I'll probably try this as well. Another thing I'm trying is a nite ize gear tie and attaching my platform to my saddle before the climb. After that ill be hanging the predator from my linemans belt at hunting hieght to free up both hands when securing it. I saw that on a thread here and it seems pretty slick.

One of the reasons I just ordered my Badlands Superday is so I can have the bow strapped to my back as I climb. I plan on having my 2 Helium sticks hanging from my Mantis left side, the other 2 having been placed on the tree, my Wild Edge steps hanging from my right side. Now that is my plan, I can see it in my head......just need to do it. I HATE hoist ropes for anything. last year I had one rope dislodge my 3rd stick from the tree and it was sideways and had to "make it work" when I got down. I've had them tangle with branches, bushes, stand, get knotted up in my pack. Now with my XOP stand I have no choice really but to use them for pack and bow.....but when the saddle gets here.......I won't sit a lock on unless is the ones at my private land spots I have up already then not really a big deal because I can still go up with pack on.

One of the reasons I just ordered my Badlands Superday is so I can have the bow strapped to my back as I climb. I plan on having my 2 Helium sticks hanging from my Mantis left side, the other 2 having been placed on the tree, my Wild Edge steps hanging from my right side. Now that is my plan, I can see it in my head......just need to do it. I HATE hoist ropes for anything. last year I had one rope dislodge my 3rd stick from the tree and it was sideways and had to "make it work" when I got down. I've had them tangle with branches, bushes, stand, get knotted up in my pack. Now with my XOP stand I have no choice really but to use them for pack and bow.....but when the saddle gets here.......I won't sit a lock on unless is the ones at my private land spots I have up already then not really a big deal because I can still go up with pack on.
Plan on strapping mine to my superday pack as well. Actually got my pack in today.

Dont hang the platform from your saddle. Drove me insane between the clanking and pulling my saddle down it was almost as annoying as forgetting to wear a belt!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have always tied mine to my rch so it hangs well below me. It might hit some limbs but it’s wrapped in paracord so its pretty quiet.

I hang mine from a small paracord loop on the back of my saddle for easy access at hunting height. I can strap my bow to my pack if I want to but usually don't if there are any limbs to climb past, it just seems to snag and add too much load to the outside of my pack. I generally use a Doyles hoist to pull my bow up after I'm set up.

After a few trips out here is my current method. Platform, 30ft tether and WE stepps strapped to my pack for the walk in with bow in hand. When I get to the tree, the platform, rope and stepps get attached to my saddle via some kydex j hooks and bow gets attached to the pack. Still tweaking my method but so far seems to be working.

I have an older model Ultra Day pack, it has straps on the back and underside. I attach the Predator under the pack and my bow on the back. I can reach the clasps underneath with the pack on, so once I get to hunting height I reach behind, unclasp the Predator and attach to the tree. Doesn’t get in the way while walking and no movement. My LB is daisy chained on my left side and tether is in a pouch on my right side, WE Stepps hang over my shoulder to the right.

4fa9e09d0ea825069f3fbc7d81b45e1c.jpg
76320a8fc0d5db2e4d64d447d4f3a1ed.jpg

Back