• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Clone of Kifaru Stryker pack

LeanMachine

Those of yall who are also on rokslide have already seen this but i figured id share it here as well since saddle hunting was a lot of my motivation behind this build. If you want to see more pics you can go checkout the other thread.

32d3880bdec35e8019983ab409270a46.jpg
473799e1c8c3754abcbd7980d1f5d98f.jpg
3fd6148285206472da56096a8312e8f0.jpg
423eea4e1639e1c1ffa13545ac4b6e0f.jpg
0ef19bb91023dcfa8d109becc830533b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You went with another horseshoe zipper huh? How much did that suck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You went with another horseshoe zipper huh? How much did that suck?

Ha! Yea i was like well well here we go again. But honestly it was a breeze this time. I guess im starting to suck less.

Ha! Yea i was like well well here we go again. But honestly it was a breeze this time. I guess im starting to suck less.

Nice! How exactly do you plan out dimensions etc? I feel like the design and layout is the most challenging part. I’m wondering if you have someone with a bag you want to copy send you measurements or what?

Nice! How exactly do you plan out dimensions etc? I feel like the design and layout is the most challenging part. I’m wondering if you have someone with a bag you want to copy send you measurements or what?

It is def the hardest part for me. Kifaru actually shows rough dimensions on their page. I save images of the bags and then meausure some things using an image meter app. You measure a known length, like say the width of a piece of webbing, and input its known measurement. Then when you measure other areas of the image, it will use that as the scale. Works pretty well. I have never had an actual bag to work from. I can usually get info from someone online who owns a bag im copying, if necessary.

How is this superior for saddle hunting as compared to your previous build? Meat packing? It looks like it’s really just one big pocket

How is this superior for saddle hunting as compared to your previous build? Meat packing? It looks like it’s really just one big pocket

With my other bag, stuff really needs to fit in the bag. This is basically a fancy cargo panel so i can haul a whole deer unquartered if i want. I have done it in the past with a different setup.

This bag is also smaller. I dont need a giant backpacking bag for saddlehunting. Big bags are real floppy and sloppy when not filled and small items get lost in them. This bag has 3 small interior pockets. The other bag has zero. My sticks will also fit over this bag, even when it is full. I also have the option to put sticks or bow between the bag and frame.

This bag is just a bit more flexible basically. Ideal day pack size but also capable of carrying a week worth of gear. If you look at the RS thread you will see that i also made removable shoulder straps for it so it can funtion without the frame.
325cb9708c9dc6d561f5a786c3935ba8.jpg
a836de64d80fa54dfc04a002a43fe90d.jpg

Carrying an entire animal out of the woods. That's probably as cool as it gets.
I HATE dragging animals more than 100 yds. There are not a lot of situations where i will carry one out whole but this was one of them. I was only about a half mile from the truck. Didnt even dump the guts because i didnt want blood running down my butt crack. Learned that lesson.

THat link wont work at all for me
Try this one

Hello LeanMachine

Are you kidding me. You made that whole frame and pack setup , you have some skill there indeed. I take my hat off to you Sir. That looks awesome, are you able to strap a bow to it somehow as well?

Agree. I applaud your skills and this is highly impressive craftsmanship. I can't help but think that factoring in all the planning, purchasing of materials, sewing & time/labor that went into this, the real cost was far more expensive than just buying one from Kifaru. However, if it was truly a labor of love and just an enjoyable/fun project to have self-made gear then I get it.

Agree. I applaud your skills and this is highly impressive craftsmanship. I can't help but think that factoring in all the planning, purchasing of materials, sewing & time/labor that went into this, the real cost was far more expensive than just buying one from Kifaru. However, if it was truly a labor of love and just an enjoyable/fun project to have self-made gear then I get it.

If I did it (with no experience), then I'd agree. Someone that is awesome at this could probably knock it out way easier than we imagine. If I ever got off my butt and started trying and failing at small projects, I'd love to one day get good enough to make my own tent out of materials better than anything North Face has to offer for a fraction of the price, etc.

*** typed this response thinking it was on my build thread, but since I already wrote it out... ***
Since I work for a salary and enjoy the process, I haven't put too much time into calculating total cost/opportunity cost. However, now I'm curious to see how much I'm effectively paying myself for this work....

I don't know how much time @LeanMachine put into his, but I know I put in 8-10hr between planning and sewing mine (more so on the planning side). If I make another it will take substantially less time since I now have a pattern and know the best order of operations.

Kifaru currently sells the bag for $230. Since I'm buying my materials in larger quantities (binding and webbing by the roll) so that I have leftovers to do other projects, costs below are slightly lower than doing a one off.

Materials:
< 2 yd 500D Cordura: $16
10 yd webbing: $7
Zippers: $4
Binding: $1
Buckles (including Kifaru K Clips): $20

So, let's call it $50 total. It would be less if you didn't use K Clips, or already had buckles on hand (since you can swap a lot of that hardware between bags). That leaves me with around $18/hr for the first bag, and more for subsequent iterations.

Yea @4090Sharps ia correct. If you do not enjoy building things and finding out what you are capable of, do not go down this path. I started down this road almost 10 years ago when i had WAY more time than money. I have steadily climbed in my career and that tide has now shifted the other direction. $230 is a bargain for this pack. I usually have around $50 in a build and a lot of hours. Sewing is the easy part. It is the designing that takes me a long time. But im getting faster at that. I make patterns on all my builds so another one will be cake. What it really takes is to demand excellence out of yourself. Take the time to do it right. Take the time to seam rip apart what you just sewed because it isnt good enough. My standard is that it needs to look like i bought it. If it doesnt, it isnt good enough.

Back