• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Clothing

Idobbq

If you go on a trip to go deer hunting, how many sets of outerwear do you take? In my case, I'm using an outfitter in late Oct. I'm going to get deer specific clothing as all of mine is geared towards ducks...where noise (much less scent) is not an issue. If you take one, do you store it outside, bring it inside...how do you handle your clothing situation?

I’ll hang it up outside and spray it down with scent killer….after it dries, I keep it in a green tote, and throw an ozone machine in it to kill the odors for the next hunt:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go on a trip to go deer hunting, how many sets of outerwear do you take? In my case, I'm using an outfitter in late Oct. I'm going to get deer specific clothing as all of mine is geared towards ducks...where noise (much less scent) is not an issue. If you take one, do you store it outside, bring it inside...how do you handle your clothing situation?
I personally would take two sets, incase one gets soaked. Although if you are staying with an outfitter they probably have a way to dry your gear. Same with boots, two sets! At deer camp my gear hangs outside if weather permits or goes in a tote.

Used something similar at Scout camp as a kid. Worked OK, good enough for a middle schooler at least. In general I try to wash in scent-free detergent after I wear hunting clothes, and spritz with scent killer before I step into the woods.

If you buy synthetics they will dry faster. If you buy wool it won't get as stinky. Cotton kills.

For CO elk I take 2 sets. If I am hunting from a base, I can alternate and wash. If I backpack in I will carry an extra pair of socks plus what I need for layering such as a heavier weight merino and a down jacket but will not carry extra outer layers or extra underwear.

I always wash everything I'm carrying, pack included, in baking soda. Now in past several years I did fall for all these specific scent free products on the market, and I can tell you I truly believe my wearables were much more scent free using baking soda, plus a whole lot cleaner.

If I had to use a public laundry mat, or say the wife is a everything needs to smell good fanatic, I just run an empty cycle with the baking soda beforehand. Store in scent free trash bags or storage bin before and after the hunt.

I'd carry two sets plus a rainproof top and a rain hat just in case you get an all-day rain. On a short out of state hunt for a few days you can't afford to lose days to rainouts (unless were talking lightning).

I used Scent Lok for the first time last season and saw a real difference in how often deer were busting me due to swirling winds. I would keep it in airtight totes in the truck and deabsorb it as needed in the dryer. The nice thing about Scent Lok is that they usually have really good sales and the clothing is well thought out, irrespective of whether you put any stock in the scent reduction aspect. If I were going to recommend one piece of Scent Lok it would be the ScentLok Savanna Aero Quickstrike Coverall. It's a simple one piece suit to pull on over your base layer or even street clothes.

Back