• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold feet

Crsavage619

First year saddle hunting here. I have a question of how the more experienced guys help keep your feet warm from having them on a cold metal/aluminum platform. On my tree stands I usually bring a little piece of foam to put in one spot on the footrest to rest my feet to shield them from the cold metal. What are some of the ideas do you guys have. Thanks.

Keep your core warm, feet dry, have good circulation to the extremities.

I do that by layering properly, not sweating or drying sweat before I put on my layers, and wear one pair of Merino socks and retie my boots loose at the tree.

this covers pretty much everything. If I spent a bunch of time on a platform below 20*, I’d probably put a foam pad on it.

if your boots have room and are like half an inch or so bigger, I throw the smaller hothands in the front by my toes, keeps them nice and toasty

1. As mention size up your boots. Never tight
2. Merino or alpaca socks
3. Some have suggested antiperspirant on your feet
4. Change socks at the tree
5. Chemical heaters in the boot
6. Use a boot drier after you wear them
7. I use arctic mucks
8. I might try boot blankets but have never needed them
9. As mentioned keep your core warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The brand "Hot Hands" hand warmers is what everyone needs to invest in. It is the biggest game changer in the woods on super cold days. I usually get them on sale when Walmart clearances them out in transition to spring.

Good boots with quality socks and you will not need warmers in the boots. For years I've used nothing but Smartwool socks and have for years. Also when I drive in a vehicle to a hunting location I do not use the floorboard vents to heat the vehicle so that my feet will not over heat. Also after the hunt the boots go on a boot dryer.

1. Don't sweat in your boots
  2. Don't wear tight boots
  3. Wear warm boots if it's cold, but not too warm (see 1) - especially if they don't breathe.
  4. Throw in a couple of chemical heaters (or heated socks or insoles or whatever) once you're set
  5. Keep your core warm (chemical heaters taped strategically are awesome for this as well)

Also let us know what cold means to you. @kyler1945 has good advice, but mentions he'd do differently below 20, and I consider 20 to be a beautiful warm day (although he would be dealing with more humidity)

I think the only thing that would work for me is if I set my feet on fire. Nothing seems to work.

I can tell you that I fought the same crap everyone else did until I didn’t let my feet sweat, or let them dry, loosened my boots, and was dry and warm on rest of my body. Once I figured all of that out, wearing breathable no insulation goretex hikers in 20* all day with one pair of thin socks was fine. Based on limited hunting below that, the swap to leather boots still kept me fine. No warmers no extra socks no insulation in boots.

maybe it’s another level to consistently hunt near freezing, but the concept is still the same I’m sure.

I have Reynaud’s, so my feet get cold sitting with socks on in my 70-degree house. Everything listed above is great, but if you have circulation problems, once the heat goes, it doesn’t come back (absent some external heat source). I got an electric heated vest for Christmas last year, and it was a huge difference-maker for me. This year, I’m looking at some battery-powered heated socks for my Christmas wish list. They’re pricey, but if they’re half as good as that vest, they’ll be more than worth it.

Back