• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold Steel Cheap Shot Broadheads

Hunter260

Just picked up a couple packs of these cheap shot broadheads. I found a great deal and paid like 75 cents per broadhead. They're polymer broadheads with serrated blades that look super nasty. I was planning on testing them out on small game or a hog, but I think I may try a deer too. Has anyone used them?

I had never heard of these so I just looked them up. The first review on this page tells of his less than stellar results on a deer. The second review 'brags' about their durability because only two of the four broke after two months of shooting them into foam. https://www.coldsteel.com/cheapshot-bh1.html

I would only use them on small game also.

So after reading this thread, I bought a 10 pack of these to try out. The thinking was maybe I could use them to practice and take out some yard squirrels to eat.

Im not going to sit here and say that I have the most perfectly tuned bow in the world, but these things fly like crap. Im missing my entire foam block target at 20yards when normally I hold a really tight group. Last one I missed the block and it snapped off at the threads inside the arrow. Much fun.

So after reading this thread, I bought a 10 pack of these to try out. The thinking was maybe I could use them to practice and take out some yard squirrels to eat.

Im not going to sit here and say that I have the most perfectly tuned bow in the world, but these things fly like crap. Im missing my entire foam block target at 20yards when normally I hold a really tight group. Last one I missed the block and it snapped off at the threads inside the arrow. Much fun.
Can't really blame the broadhead for inaccuracy, likely has more to do with the bow tuning, or fletching contact or something else. Do you shoot other unvented fixed blades well?

Yes, Ive been shooting Trophy taker shuttle Ts with no issues. They're smaller, fixed broad heads but shoot quite well with my setup.

Yes, Ive been shooting Trophy taker shuttle Ts with no issues. They're smaller, fixed broad heads but shoot quite well with my setup.
Barring crooked ferrules or being different weights by like 50 grains they should fly just like any other broadhead that size. I've shot mine out to 60 and they fly just like big steel forces...... Aside from being a lot cheaper to miss with......

I played with these a little more yesterday and got some better results, although still not flying like field points.

Out 15-20 yds, they hold a squirrel sized group for me. I went with a heavier spined arrow and that seemed to help to a degree.
Beyond 20 they just get a bit flighty. Could be me.

Back