• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold weather and thumb release?

Jimdude

I’m new to thumb releases this year. I bought a used carter convertible which was so smooth in the summer months. Now it feels so stiff. I assume whatever grease or oil is on the inside has thickened do to the cold temperatures. Is there a way to combat this or do I have to learn to live with it? Thanks

Long time thumb shooter here. I had that issue with a tru ball that was pretty worn. I have two hot shots that don’t have that issue which I’m attributing to bring newer. I’d say bring it inside so it warms up and try and blow it out with compressed air, you might have some crud inside it. Don’t oil it or lubricate it unless carter says to otherwise. It may just be worn inside, the seer inside my tru ball got a bit worn which caused the insides to rub a bit or just got a bit of grit. If that doesn’t solve it I’d think carter will take care of you. I’ve never shot them but I’ve heard nothing but good things

I shoot the Carter Nock2it and haven't noticed any issues.

I'd reach out to Carter and see what reccomendatikn they have, I've always had great experiences with their service.

yep, give them a call and you'll likely talk to the founder's son, Forest Carter

good guy, very helpful

I’m new to thumb releases this year. I bought a used carter convertible which was so smooth in the summer months. Now it feels so stiff. I assume whatever grease or oil is on the inside has thickened do to the cold temperatures. Is there a way to combat this or do I have to learn to live with it? Thanks

There should be no grease or lubricants inside the release. If you purchased it used, someone before you may have added some, but there should be none. I was an overseas tech rep for Carter back maybe 20 years ago.

If anything, in cold weather the release would be “hotter” as metal contracts when cold. But the weather we deal with in a hunting situation won’t cause such a difference.

That’s said, your release, if well used and “seasoned” may have some gunk built up inside. The folks at Carter will gladly inspect it for you and make it good as new.

Semper Fi,
Mike

There should be no grease or lubricants inside the release. If you purchased it used, someone before you may have added some, but there should be none. I was an overseas tech rep for Carter back maybe 20 years ago.

If anything, in cold weather the release would be “hotter” as metal contracts when cold. But the weather we deal with in a hunting situation won’t cause such a difference.

That’s said, your release, if well used and “seasoned” may have some gunk built up inside. The folks at Carter will gladly inspect it for you and make it good as new.

Semper Fi,
Mike

Semper Fi,
Mike

I shoot a Stanislawski and keep it inside my handwarmer pocket when not in use. I bought it new and have never had cold weather issues. I have however had a benelli sbe 2 and recently a Remington 700 have issues in cold weather because of gunk and bad oil. Not sure that matters and I probably butchered the Stan name.

I’m going to have to call carter. I think it could use a rebuilt or whatever they do. I shot it at least 1,000 times and I had 2 misfires while drawing. I do love the release though

Back