• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold weather hunting

Deerman406

I have been hunting and hanging stands for 42 years now. Even when really cold I have a tendency to sweat. I am curious as to what modt folks do in cold weather when you saddle hunt. Do you get everything set, climb down and dress and climb back up. I just bought my entire saddle system and have started practicing but again when its 10 degrees in Kansas or Iowa what do you do about staying warm and hunting out of your saddle? Thanks! Shawn

I typically walk in with all the bottom layers I will use. Maybe as little as base layer on the top. Climb up, set up and stay up. Adding top layers is easy in the saddle. Adding bottom layers is possible depending on your setup.

I do that now with my hang and hunt stands and dress right in the tree, but the saddle will limit my ability to that as I like to use a coverall. I was thinking bibs from First lite with the full lenth zippers I may be able to put them on and snake my bridge out both sides. Its all new to me and I am no kid anymore but in exc. shape. I will draw Iowa this year and hoping to cut down on stands and such by using a saddle. Thanks! Shawn

Tried bibs in the saddle this past season. I had my saddle on the outside of the bib. I was cozy but because of the fill material in the bib the saddle shifted on me more than usual.

Need to try wearing saddle inside the bib but would have to rearrange a few things.

I have been hunting and hanging stands for 42 years now. Even when really cold I have a tendency to sweat. I am curious as to what modt folks do in cold weather when you saddle hunt. Do you get everything set, climb down and dress and climb back up. I just bought my entire saddle system and have started practicing but again when its 10 degrees in Kansas or Iowa what do you do about staying warm and hunting out of your saddle? Thanks! Shawn

I only wear my base layer top, bottom and hunting pants walking in. I carry my coveralls in. When I get to the tree I hang my sticks and platform wearing only my base layer and hunting pants. I climb down, cool down a bit and put my coveralls on under my saddle. If it is really cold I put my boot blankets on when I am on my platform.

Musky, that is most likely what I will have to do. I figure I can buy premium bibs and jacket, like Incinerator or First lite and carry less clothing and weight. Shawn

I
Musky, that is most likely what I will have to do. I figure I can buy premium bibs and jacket, like Incinerator or First lite and carry less clothing and weight. Shawn
Sounds like a solid plan. If you are looking at hunting in really cold all day check out an iwom. It is not possible to get cold in that thing. Feels like cheating. I have not tried it in a saddle but others have. My goal is to get it to work for me with my saddle so I can sell my lone wolf.

Back